oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #31
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

For heavens sake please do not fruit my beer, and never ever ever sauce my prime rib, I will be having nightmares for weeks...

But i do enjoy the show, and this one was good as my family all eat these meats and had fun with the ohh don't do that or thats a mistake, lol

my wife was screaming at the tv, that is overdone, do not put that in the box ha ha she was right as usual...
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #32
dadymat
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Hmmm....revisionist history, perhaps? I didn't jsut pull that info out of my arse, that was info from long ago.

Oh well. If rich was from Mo and KC, then so be it.
lol....info from the arse is ever good......I only knew cause i watched a show a few weeks ago "history of BBQ" and they did a segment on him....
dadymat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

The thing that bothered me the most about that episode was a flash of the Pork-n-Pit window during the opening credits. That place has the absolute worst BBQ I have ever tasted, and that's saying a lot. I'd hate to see someone try that place because they recognized the logo from the show and think it in any way represents KC-style BBQ. It's just horrible.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #34
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
WRONG!!!

KC is a Midwestern town, St Louis is an Eastern town...plain and simple.
Of course. That was exactly my point. It's folks perceptions of things that make them real, not what they actually are. Duh.
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #35
Corky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadymat View Post
.i too was disappointed they didnt get ribs or something more traditional but at least they are not getting to far fetched like season 2 or like Bobby Flay has gone
I miss the alligators
Blue Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen (Fastest in the West!)
拉猪肉
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
legendaryhog
is one Smokin' Farker

I see people posting about that "Pitmasters" show on here all the time. I've watched it a couple of times and it was complete garbage. Such a horrible show. I don't get the brethren fascination with it. It's not entertaining at all and the bullchit these "pitmasters" spew is ridiculous.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #37
Brew n Que
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
I see people posting about that "Pitmasters" show on here all the time. I've watched it a couple of times and it was complete garbage. Such a horrible show. I don't get the brethren fascination with it. It's not entertaining at all and the bullchit these "pitmasters" spew is ridiculous.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Tried watching it after hearing so much about it here. I found it unwatchable. Just another shoddily produced "reality" show.
If I didn't know anything about competition BBQ, this show would turn me off to it completely.
Brew n Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #38
Jason TQ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
I think the "fascination" as you call it comes from people here knowing the folks who compete on the show and wanting to see how they do and cheer for folks they like vs watching it for "quality television". If you had family or friends on a show you weren't interested in you might watch it to support them. I agree the forced smack talk diatribe the producers clearly ask them to say is awful. So it isn't fascination, but support.

The show only had one good season and that was the first season where they actually followed teams at real competitions. It was really great then. I only watch it recorded now so I can fast forward through the less consumable parts of the show. Takes me about 10 mins max to watch.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #39
EverettBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

What is KC style BBQ?
I have lived in KC for way to many years to tell you.
It is a wide verity of taste.
What's good?
It's up to you.
I can tell you the best BBQ is at comitititions. Sorry
Remember, have fun and BBQ
Thermapen- [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]
BBQ Team - Dixie Boys BBQ
Grill - Weber SUMMIT E-670
KCBS member and CBJ
EverettBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #40
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Transplant View Post
I spent 18 years in KC and every BBQ joint has it's own flair. It really is a melting pot of different regions. And I agree that most commercial KC style sauces are KC Masterpiece clones. I prefer the lighter, tangier Gates, Arthur Bryants or Jack Stack style. That being said I also loved Stilwell smokehouse's Carolina mustard sauce before it burned down. When I think KC BBQ it's never what I see on TV.
I STILL miss that place!... but I preferred their tomato based sauce.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #41
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

I was in Dallas once and a place had PORK ribs. WTF?!?!?!!?!?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #42
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Thanks. I needed that laugh. We love our spares here, just so long as they aren't sauced before serving.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #43
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
LOL! Yeah, we're known for our beef and link sausage but we do a little pork too, in fact we'll try to BBQ just about anything down here. Deer, rabbit, quail and wild pig have all been on my family's pit and a couple of family members have come close as well cause they didn't help pay any of the bills or bring enough beer to the party!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #44
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, about the only thing that isn't common is pork butt. Some places do pulled pork, some don't. But you can find brisket, ribs, and sausage everywhere.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #45
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

KC Masterpiece set the standard for American BBQ sauce. Since then the torched has been passed to Sweet Baby Ray's which is probably the most popular BBQ sauce in America. Don't believe me, go to a grocery store (pick any major chain) and look at the shelf space allocated to them.

I've always known KC BBQ to be sauce oriented BBQ. Almost every documentary I watch on BBQ, when they get to KC Style Q it is depicted as a slab of ribs baptized in thick BBQ sauce.

On a side note, much of our society is so ignorant to other type of sauces and bbq out there it is pitiful. Even in the "BBQ states" I find that people's definition of "real bbq sauce" falls exactly in line with Sweet Baby Ray's and KC Masterpiece type sauces. You ask them if they've ever had a carolina or memphis style sauce and they look at you like you're nuts.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote