oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Couldn't help but notice you're posting from Kansas. Obviously the real KC-style BBQ is in Missouri.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
I just had to laugh at that episode. I don't care where you are, nobody is putting BBQ sauce on farking prime rib!
My Ex used to put ketchup on it. Like I said she 's My EX Just glad the kids didn't get that gene

Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Prime rib has been a bbq item in NW Arkansas for a while. 14 years ago I mentioned prime rib to some coworkers and they said, "as long as it's not smoked".

Two places in particular made it a stable.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
Toast

Kinda like Salmon in Georgia.

You mean KC Masterpiece is not the sauce for KC? Is it the inventor's name?
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
landarc

Nope, that would be Rich Davis, who is from Kansas City. He just named it that, and then stood back and was amazed at how well it did

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
bigabyte

Actually, Rich Davis is from Oklahoma, and hailed from Oklahoma when he made the sauce. When he named it, he was trying to come up with a name that sounded like authentic BBQ. KC Masterpiece was his choice.

That sauce never had a thing to do with Kansas City other than having KC in it's name.

A separate restaurant named KC Masterpiece was opened in Kansas City by Rich Davis, but after he had sold the sauce to the Clorox company. They actually used a different sauce at the restaurant, oddly enough. It was dark and sweet too, though.

KC sauces are red, tomato/vinegar sauces, and have a bit of sweet and spice, but are nothing like the candy people think of these days as a "KC Style sauce".

Landarc explained why pretty well. Nobody ever tried to make sure that KC had a defining style. Frankly, part of that reason was that it was really something of a melting pot down here, so having a different kind of sauce with KC in the name seemed normal at the time.

In the long run though it has pretty much caused this situation where the historic Kansas City restaurants have a sauce that nowhere near resembles KC Masterpiece style sauces.

More than y'all probably wanted to know, but there it is.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #22
revkab
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wiley View Post
Which of these Zarda sauces do you consider to be the best?

http://www.originaljuan.com/zarda-bbq
Zarda Original - no doubts. The others are OK, but just fancified versions of the original.
  • Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner
  • One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker
  • One big tow-behind grill being built
  • and one itty bitty gasser
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
My Ex used to put ketchup on it. Like I said she 's My EX Just glad the kids didn't get that gene
I took a friend out to a REALLY GREAT chophouse in Memphis to treat him to the BEST restaurant prime rib I had experienced at the time.He asked the hostess for Heinz 57 and covered that slab of wonderful meat in it before he ever took a bite.I wish I had taken him to McDonalds or just sent him a gift card!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #24
revkab
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I think KC has suffered in original reputation for two reasons, one, and primary, is the creation and naming of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, which is a molasses based and ever more sweet sauce. That has come to define the style for most people. The other, is that there has never been a movement amongst KC places to prevent that from being the case.

If you look at places like Texas or North Carolina, the cooks and joints there hold true to their style and make it known that there is a right and wrong way.
No doubt about it, KC Masterpiece has done a huge marketing campaign, but you're right, it is awfully sweet and is pretty good on chicken, but that's about it.

Most of the other old time BBQ joints in KC have their own sauce, and most have varying degrees of spiciness or tartness.

A previous poster also noted Gates, which is a pretty decent sauce, also not as sticky sweet as KC Masterpiece.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
revkab
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Transplant View Post
I spent 18 years in KC and every BBQ joint has it's own flair. It really is a melting pot of different regions. And I agree that most commercial KC style sauces are KC Masterpiece clones. I prefer the lighter, tangier Gates, Arthur Bryants or Jack Stack style. That being said I also loved Stilwell smokehouse's Carolina mustard sauce before it burned down. When I think KC BBQ it's never what I see on TV.
I always thought Arthur Bryants was over rated, but it was one of the classic original joints, and had its own sauce, often fermenting in 5 gallon water bottles in the window. It made my mouth pucker up a bit. Stilwell Smokehouse was wonderful, only about ten miles from my home in KC, and I loved to eat there whenever I was out south.

Some have also mentioned Famous Dave's spicy sauce, which I always thought was a clone of Zarda's (a good thing). Nice thing about Famous Dave's was that they had a nice variety of sauces that made eating at their joint an adventure.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
revkab
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
Yeah, apparently the producers for BBQ Pitmasters get strange ideas about what meats define a region! Salmon in Georgia? Prime rib in Kansas City? The "Las Vegas" strip steak in Texas? Kind of strange that I've lived in Texas for almost all of my life and I had to watch a BBQ Pimasters episode to know that the Las Vegas strip is one of my favorite steak cuts! LOL!
I'll try some of that Zarda's sauce if I can find some on line since I don't think I've ever seen it in a retail store around here. It's always good to hear about what is and is not authentic from someone who KNOWS the region, so thanks for the post!
http://www.originaljuan.com/zarda-bbq Try the Original.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
revkab
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Although I would imagine with it's history, that you would be able to get a great Prime Rib in KC.

A funny aside, the tradition of Santa Maria BBQ started with the rib primal off of a steer or three, and changed next to Top Block Sirloing and then to tri-tip over a period of 60 to 70 years. And now, almost nobody recognizes Santa Maria BBQ if you don't use tri-tip.
You are quite right - you used to be able to get wonderful prime rib in KC (harder to find the great ones, now). Mr. Putches on the Plaza had incredible, velvety texture prime rib, but always slow roasted in those special convection ovens, NEVER injected or with a rub, and especially NEVER served with BBQ sauce. Victoria Street Station also used to have fantastic prime rib, but they, too, are a thing of the past.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #28
dadymat
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Actually, Rich Davis is from Oklahoma, and hailed from Oklahoma when he made the sauce. When he named it, he was trying to come up with a name that sounded like authentic BBQ. KC Masterpiece was his choice.

That sauce never had a thing to do with Kansas City other than having KC in it's name.

A separate restaurant named KC Masterpiece was opened in Kansas City by Rich Davis, but after he had sold the sauce to the Clorox company. They actually used a different sauce at the restaurant, oddly enough. It was dark and sweet too, though.

KC sauces are red, tomato/vinegar sauces, and have a bit of sweet and spice, but are nothing like the candy people think of these days as a "KC Style sauce".

Landarc explained why pretty well. Nobody ever tried to make sure that KC had a defining style. Frankly, part of that reason was that it was really something of a melting pot down here, so having a different kind of sauce with KC in the name seemed normal at the time.

In the long run though it has pretty much caused this situation where the historic Kansas City restaurants have a sauce that nowhere near resembles KC Masterpiece style sauces.

More than y'all probably wanted to know, but there it is.

I fear your information is incorrect, Rich Davis was born and raised in Missouri, attended college in Colorado , then moved back to Missouri where he invented his sauce...
dadymat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #29
revkab
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Couldn't help but notice you're posting from Kansas. Obviously the real KC-style BBQ is in Missouri.
Tell you what - I'll split ya on this one. Zarda BBQ has two joints - one in Blue Springs, MO (just east of KC), the other one is in Lenexa, KS. Both nearly 40 years old. Gates has joints on both sides of the state line, as well. Quick's has two in Kansas, as well as Rosedale BBQ, The Smokestack is just over the state line in MO, but its several off shoots (Jack's Stack) are in both. But, yeah - KC style BBQ was more in downtown KCMO, which ws where the old stockyards were, so there was lots of good beef and pork there, right near the RR hubs.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #30
bigabyte

Hmmm....revisionist history, perhaps? I didn't jsut pull that info out of my arse, that was info from long ago.

Oh well. If rich was from Mo and KC, then so be it.

Doesn't change the fact that it does not resemble any sauces from restaurants of hte area. But, that sauce has become the blueprint for KC Style sauces, as I said.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote