oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
CabinFever
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a mid to upper range food saver (from Sam's). First one crapped out after about 10 bags. Took it back and the replacement has worked well for a year. I probably use it 2-3x a week. Overall happy with it. When it dies I will probably step up to a more heavy duty Weston or something like that. I was not sure how much I was going to use it. I use it all the time and love it. Now I'm never more than 30 minutes away from tasty BBQ. Freezer full of pulled pork and brisket. I also like using the rolls, and recomend the "cuff" method. I just saw these cool expandable food saver bags the other day that could hold a whole brisket. I have not tried these yet.
CabinFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
wrenfro12
On the road to being a farker

I use the gamesaver and have had really good results with it.....at home and at the comp site.

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get one and start using it.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
Ozric

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinbmw View Post
VacMaster Pro 305 blows away the Foodsaver it replaced.
Since no one else mentioned it, I'll suggest you consider a chamber vac-sealer. I had a FoodSaver 3880 that I gave to a friend when I got a VM Pro305 (there is no better suction vac-sealer out there). If I would have understood what the VacMaster VP112 was all about then, I'd have bought one instead of the 305. Now, I have both. The VP112 is BIG and expensive (compared to a suction vac-sealer), but so worth it in the end. Bags are 10% of the cost of FS-type bags (pre-made or made from rolls).

I even do my brining under pressure now that I can seal liquids!

And if you're ever going to get into Sous Vide cooking (highly recommended), you'll really benefit from a chamber vac-sealer.
Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100
SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Uh oh, Ozric . . . now you're gonna get me in trouble. I'd love to be able to sous vide and if I do enough research about chamber vac-sealing, I'm sure I'll convince myself that this is something I never knew I couldn't live without!
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #21
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I can't afford vacuum sealing units. I tightly wrap the item in very clingy plastic wrap, which almost creates a vaccuum. THen I throw those wrapped items into 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon zip locks for insulation. Works quite well.. never get freezer burn. And so much more affordable. I do use the wrapmaster device though because it makes wrapping very fast and safe. It's like $30.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have had them for years and years.

I have found that I have better luck with pre made bags. They are more money but I get them from Vac Master, not Food saver, they are a lot better of a bag and cheaper.

I find the factory seal on the 3 sides hold better and are more reliable than make bags from rolls. Even after double sealing both ends.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
http://www.gofundme.com/Michigan-CustomQue-Donate please consider a small donation to help us pay for our charity BBQ efforts for veterans and homeless groups!!!
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Ozric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Uh oh, Ozric . . . now you're gonna get me in trouble. I'd love to be able to sous vide and if I do enough research about chamber vac-sealing, I'm sure I'll convince myself that this is something I never knew I couldn't live without!
You're a wise person, even with a name like Tricky!

For what it's worth, here's a pic of my Easter lamb loin chops. I cooked them sous vide for 3 hours at 131°F with their marinade/sauce (garlic, rosemary, EVOO, worshy, brown sugar, salt, fresh GBP and mustard powder), and then seared over a Vortex on my Weber kettle for 2 minutes per side total, flipping and rotating every 30 seconds. They were perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamb Chops Sous Vide.jpg (91.2 KB, 103 views)
Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100
SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Last edited by Ozric; 04-23-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #24
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I have a food saver 2460, it is quite versatile and includes a hose to vacuum seal containers. besides being able to vacuum seal and freeze raw or cooked food, I also found that a separate company (UMAI) sells bags made to dry age meat that works with the food saver. I've dry aged primal cuts of NY strips and ribeyes that turned out excellent. Bags can be pricey so I've pretty much switched to rolls. I have no complaints so far. I find it very useful especially since i generally just cook for the wife and I and end up with tons of leftovers. They now get vacuum sealed and frozen for later use.

Brinkman Trailmaster, WSM, BPS UDS, Smokin-it #2, 3x 22.5" Weber OTGs, Weber S330, Pizza Kettle, Rotisserie Collar, A-Maze-N Smoker, Thermapen,
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
frog13

I'm a big fan of VACMaster and have a VACMaster Pro260. Lots of info and good deals here ........ http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.co..._Supplies.html

Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Weston pro 2300
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
Weber Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I have had them for years and years.

I have found that I have better luck with pre made bags. They are more money but I get them from Vac Master, not Food saver, they are a lot better of a bag and cheaper.

I find the factory seal on the 3 sides hold better and are more reliable than make bags from rolls. Even after double sealing both ends.
Where do you buy them ? Online from Vacmaster or elsewhere ?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #28
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Food saver here too. I order bulk bags from Amazon and cut to length. One tip is to use a alcohol wipe on the seal of the unit before each sealing session.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #29
93vpmod
is One Chatty Farker

I have the Weston Pro 2300 and have had great results. I typically use the pre-cut bags, but have multiple rolls to choose when needed. In over 200 bags filled/sealed I can only remember one that didn't get a good seal.

The one trick that I have utilized is to cut the bottom out of a large McDonalds plastic cup. I then use the cup to load my bags. This keeps the grease or juice off of the top of the bag to ensure a good seal. It is also less frustrating than slopping things on the side of the bags trying to hold the bag open!

Hope that helps.

(Insert new smoker here!), Weber WSM-22, Weber 26.75 OTG, Blue Weber Performer with gas assist, Pit Barrel Cooker, UDS with rotisserie, SJG mini-WSM, Weber Go Anywhere
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #30
Eddie Money
Got Wood.

Food saver is where it's at. I use my weekly.
Eddie Money is offline   Reply With Quote