喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #31
jimstocks53
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I DRINK my 90% alcohol thank you (with mixer, of course). Lowes and Walmart has these fir starter cubes and I swear by them.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Before I bought a torch, I was sick to death of newspaper ash all over the place so bought a case of Sterno cans. Just open, light, put under chimney. When done put the lid back on can and save for next cook. I think I'd get 4 or 5 uses per can.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #33
stepheneleven
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Before I bought a torch, I was sick to death of newspaper ash all over the place so bought a case of Sterno cans. Just open, light, put under chimney. When done put the lid back on can and save for next cook. I think I'd get 4 or 5 uses per can.
Ed

You could probably get even more uses out of those sterno cans. The flame really only needs to be under the chimney for 2-3 minutes and you can remove it. I use the cubes and I cut them in half. I get 48 chimneys starts for $3. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #34
Blythewood BBQ'er
is one Smokin' Farker

I keep at least 3 boxes on hand, gonna start doing like stephen and cut them. I wish they came in better packages tho

3 Town BBQ Competition Cook Team
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #35
Toeter
Knows what a fatty is.

They are indeed awesome!
Toeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I get them at Wally World. They work great for lighting my backyard burn pile as well. I even use them in the fireplace. My wife loves them for when she has to light the burn pile when I am not home.

Unread 04-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #37
tnfan47
Knows what a fatty is.

To make them last longer, I break them up into pieces depending if I'm doing a low n slow or high heat. Yea, it does make a mess, but worth it since you don't go through them so quick.

I usually do a half of a cube for grills such as steaks or hamburgers (high heat). I do 1/4 of a cube for low n slow. Using a smaller piece for low heat will help you control your temp. from the start.

Unread 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #38
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Cheap and easy - love 'em!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #39
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

After reading about them here last summer I decided to try them for my wood stove this winter and I LOVE them! Cheap/easy/no fuss/muss.

Bye-bye saving/crumpling/burning newspaper. I think I've used the cubes twice for the WSM...but I have a weedburner for that. (Much quicker).

Unread 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #40
CabinFever
Knows what a fatty is.

I use them all the time. Used to use a torch, I find these are actualy easier. At least once you wrestle them out of their little foil prison.
CabinFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #41
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Fantastic for on-the-go chimney starting. One little cube and a match, that'll start anything, anywhere. From camping to competitions. A+
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #42
Theboz1419
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
I keep at least 3 boxes on hand, gonna start doing like stephen and cut them. I wish they came in better packages tho
same here, that's my biggest complaint with them. Every time I push one of the cubes thru the tin foil, little pieces of the wax crap break and get everywhere.
Theboz1419 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #43
gettinbasted
Full Fledged Farker

I cut out the middle man and drop one directly in my fire basket instead of using a chimney. It couldn't be any easier.

Unread 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #44
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

A paper towel rolled up and tied in a knot then dropped into liquid bacon fat to soak a bit. Doesn't cost much or go bad. Been using them to light the charcoal right in grills and my smokers for a few years now. Have not used a chimney in a LONG time.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #45
Instagator
Got Wood.

I just bougth these things and it stated that you should have them totally burned out before setting your food down - Now my question is, why can't I just take an empty can (such as tomato paste mini can) - Cut it, turn it around so the bottom side is sitting up- sit a cube on it, set a blaze and then put the starter on top if it. That way you don't have to worry about the cube being inside your cooking space? .

Yay or Nay?
Instagator is offline   Reply With Quote