עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I love FREE Pecan.......

A while back, my buddy and I scored some free pecan:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=Pecan

SO.....they are pruning again. Since they have cut back on the release of irrigation water from the Rio Grande, they now have more time/dry ground to leave the pruned stuff on the ground for people to take before they need to gather it up into the huge burn piles. I'm going tomorrow and again on Saturday. Hope to get enough to fill my rack and give some to my Dad and Brother too. Called the guy today and he said there is 20 acres worth of downed stuff. 10 truck loads full came out today and they didn't even make a dent in the wood! I hope it's fer real!
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/zip/4426850276.html

He just placed the ad yesterday, so there should be tons left! I'll post more pron later!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

OH my!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like just about anything free, but that is a helluva score.

Unread 04-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Road trip!
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice going Bob, very nice!
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Grain Belt
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome score! I am in the BBQ wasteland that is Northern MN, but I received some education from a few old salts down in Texas that burned Pecan in their pits. It is so good with many different meats. I envy your find. Best of luck in getting a few truckloads!

I have a similar in at an apple orchard and I swear that free wood adds better flavor.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
retired trucker
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Bob, are those "native" pecans (wild) or domestic hybrids? I used to have access to some native pecan wood when I lived in Victoria, and it made some awesome smoking fuel. Mix in some mesquite and watch the neighbors start circling the wagon waiting for an invite! Great score, and I hope you get all you can haul.

Blessings,
Omar

Unread 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
BobBrisket

Update! Didn't get to make a second trip, but here are some pics. They never prune this late in the year. What happened was that the house and land got repossessed, so they were in the process of cleaning it up to sell. That's why there some good sized stuff out there because they hadn't pruned those trees in a LONG time.
Had a fun time out there with my son. He was manning the pruning shears and skinning the large limbs!

Water break!

20 Acres worth of land and pecan trees.

All cut. Dad's wood stash. Lots of mulberry in there.

Had to restack my stash. Some big rounds from last time for chunk making.

Finally, a full rack!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!

Git Smokin, Dan!

Unread 04-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Hey Bob, are those "native" pecans (wild) or domestic hybrids? I used to have access to some native pecan wood when I lived in Victoria, and it made some awesome smoking fuel. Mix in some mesquite and watch the neighbors start circling the wagon waiting for an invite! Great score, and I hope you get all you can haul.

Blessings,
Omar
Not wild, but I don't know if they are native or hybrids. There are LOTS of pecan farms in this area and close by in NM too. LOTS of pecan 'round these parts!
I got a bit of skeet. Will give that a try!

Git Smokin, Dan!

Unread 04-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

that's awesome I'm having a load deliverd Monday 100.00 for 1/2 cord oak mix
gaser converted to charcoal
Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
KCBS