Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Unthawing 3 Packs of BB

Hi Brethren, I recently got a good deal on some Baby Back ribs that came in a cry-o-vac package, 3 slab's per package, frozen.

What is the best way to separate them while they are still frozen? I thought about unthawing them until I could separate them and then putting the unused ones back in the freezer. Would that work, or are there other ways?

I know cooking all 3 are an option but I am trying to avoid that.

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Babbling Farker

Yep, you're pretty much stuck with thawing them a little in order to get them apart, but putting what you don't use back in the freezer right away will be okay.

Weber Performer with rotisserie ring, 22.5OTS, Maverick 732, Weber Smokey Joe,PBC Smokenator/Hoovergrill, variety of microbrews, Gin and tonic, variety of lighters.
code3rrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Put them under running water until you can break them apart, and then freeze what you aren't going to thaw completely. The running water will thaw the outside very quickly allowing them to come apart without thawing the inside like if you just put them in the fridge.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone/WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/KCBS
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Large flathead Screwdriver & a Hammer. I'm being serious. Just drive it in between the slabs and give a twist they will pop apart.
I never met a Cow that I didn't like with a little Salt & Pepper! Certified PORK-A-HOLIC
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
On the road to being a farker

If you're going through the trouble to setup and smoke one or two racks, just do all 3 and freeze whatever you don't eat, it's surprisingly good as long as you thaw it first, and reheat it slowly. (vacuum packed works well)
bbqmike_ny is offline   Reply With Quote