The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Frisco_Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weber Smokey Mountain

On my lunch break I stopped by BBQ Galore and took a look at the WSM. I was thinking about getting a cheap Smoke'n grill and modifying it instead of a WSM. I must say the quality of the WSM seemed to be really good.

That said, I must have one.. time to start working on the wife to allow me to get another smoker.

My angle is.. for our smaller cooks it uses less fuel.. cheaper to operate.

So how long can you expect to maintain 225~250 without having to assist it?
[B][COLOR=darkred]Gig'em Aggies!
[/COLOR][/B]
Frisco_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco_Smoker
On my lunch break I stopped by BBQ Galore and took a look at the WSM. I was thinking about getting a cheap Smoke'n grill and modifying it instead of a WSM. I must say the quality of the WSM seemed to be really good.

That said, I must have one.. time to start working on the wife to allow me to get another smoker.

My angle is.. for our smaller cooks it uses less fuel.. cheaper to operate.

So how long can you expect to maintain 225~250 without having to assist it?
I've achieved > 10hrs when it locked in at 215 to 230.

Don't know about 250. Might be a reason to try.

Unread 06-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

I was thinking about getting a ECB, they're, like about $40 or less if on sale vs, WSM for $228.48 online (http://shopshipmall.com/shopmallfeed...0-%20Black.htm). I could pop the $40 with out the wife going nuts, however $228.48 for a smoker when I have a smoker, she wouldn't understand. but, honey you have a smoker and it's bigger (so it must be better) than that little thing. And you paid HOW MUCH for it????

Oh, well, good luck which ever way you go.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
I've achieved > 10hrs when it locked in at 215 to 230.

Don't know about 250. Might be a reason to try.
Pretty regular at 10 usually longer
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret
I was thinking about getting a ECB, they're, like about $40 or less if on sale vs, WSM for $228.48 online (http://shopshipmall.com/shopmallfeed...0-%20Black.htm). I could pop the $40 with out the wife going nuts, however $228.48 for a smoker when I have a smoker, she wouldn't understand. but, honey you have a smoker and it's bigger (so it must be better) than that little thing. And you paid HOW MUCH for it????

The ECB and the WSM do not compare. Go ahead get the WSM and let the wife be mad. make her some ribs then hand her a beer, she will get over it.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I've gone over 12 hours at 225-ish with only stirring the coals after 10 or so. It probably would have gone longer but the butt was done.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret

I use a seperate bank account for my allowance so to speak and I stash money away for my toys. She still gets pissed when boxes arrive on the door step. She figures, she could have gotten her hair done, go figure.

I keep buying stuff though, perhaps she will become desensitized to my ways . Or perhaps I will get a Dear John letter.

On the rare occasion she smiles when boxes arrive, I know she has some chit from somebody's store in the trunk of her car.
Trust me I caught her before! I never say anything about her bags as long as I see no charges on my credit cards. I figure if they (wives) can shop til they drop, then I can do a little shopping too!
(Rant off)

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

So you think the difference is irreconcilable? There was another thread here recently that had a link to an ECB modding site. If I recall right, some of the posts suggested that with the mods you have a cooker that will equal the WSM for ease of operation and turn out great q. But won't last like the WSM will, due to the lighter weight/lower quality contruction.
I don't think I'm going to do anything right now. When I get to cook I need the theraputic affect of soot, smoke, cutting wood and farking with the fire

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.

Unread 06-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yeah, I hear ya on the shopping wife thing. LOL Sometimes I get scared we'll both just keep going, "well you got . . . but you got . . . "before ya know it we're in bancruptcy court with lots of nice stuff

Unread 06-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Okay...keep this advice to yourself and don't use it too often...about once or twice a year should be safe:
  • Step 1:
Stash the cash for the WSM a little at a time. You know...embezzle a little from the checking account here, an ATM withdrawl or two there, a cash advance on a credit card here, etc. until you have the cash for the WSM.
  • Step 2:
Have a friend call the house at a time when only your wife is home and say EXACTLY THIS:

"Hi, my name is (insert bogus name here). Is your husband home? He isn't? Well, would you tell him that (insert bogus name here) called and I want to know if he still wants that WSM I won at the Elk's Lodge last week. Tell him if he doesn't want it I'm going to give it to my Son-in-Law. That kid don't know a thing about cooking and will probably burn his house down trying to learn so I would rather GIVE IT AWAY TO SOMEONE THAT KNOWS HOW TO USE IT."
  • Step 3:
Drive down and pick up that "free" WSM!

Best of luck,

Ken (scammin' the bride, in a loving kind of way, in just this fashion SUCCESSFULLY for 2 years now. Hey...it's about the 'QUE, remember?)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #11
MrsGuppie
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuppie
Best of luck,

Ken (scammin' the bride, in a loving kind of way, in just this fashion SUCCESSFULLY for 2 years now. Hey...it's about the 'QUE, remember?)
Great idea, dear. Too bad you forgot that I can use the internet, too.

Guess what? You're sleeping on the couch tonight!

We'll talk in the morning.

Oh yeah, Hi everyone!
MrsGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Oh boy!! Hey you guppies gotta post pictures of this event!!! Best of luck to you both.
sfisch is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oops.

I would never do that with MrsMista! Right honey?

Honey?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #14
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Mista,

I only do butts and brisket on the WSM and they are always 12-20 hour cooks - easy! One time I did a 21.5 hour cook on the WSM with one load of coal. I had ideal weather conditions that day, but 18-20 hours on one load I do all the time! I am talking about 225* throughout the cook. I use a candy thermometer in the lid. You have to remember that the lid temp runs 15* hotter than the grate temp, so you have to run the WSM at 240* in the lid to get 225* at the grate. Since I have stopped using water in the pan and use nothing (just double wrapped the pan in HD foil), its even easier for me to get the temp stable so I can get some sleep over night. Here is a link to my latest website post which is an 18-hour butt cook on the WSM.

Pit Happens!

18.5 WSM (x2) - "Porky" and "Miss Piggy"
Chargriller Smokin' Pro - "Boss Hog"
Aussie Charcoal Grill - "Piglet"
Cheapie Tabletop Charcoal Grill - "Fire Starter"

Former KCBS CBJ
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
MilitantSquatter

Hey Tony,

225 deg for 18 hrs. in the WSM sure seems like a really long time to reach 200 deg. internal for a 7.5 lb. pork shoulder.

Any ideas why it's taking so long ? I recently cooked two 9 lb. butts in the WSM and dome temp was fairly constant at 230-235 all night. Butts reached 195 & 197 degrees respectively in approx 9-9.5 hrs.

Now, I know there are a lot of variables (temp, fat to muscle content, thermometer accuracy etc) but I just can't see how a smaller pork butt would take 18 hrs...

Any thoughts on the reason for the extended cook times ?