The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #16
Swine Spectator
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
No offense to the OP, but what is this the 20th thread on the subject in the past 2 months?
None taken. I have seen several threads about high prices and some that explained the pork virus, but I had not seen a good explanation of beef prices. This article covered drought, herd size, demand from fast food industry, and herd recovery time. I thought it added more to the discussion.

David

(Former pits: New Braunfel's El Dorado, Stainless Performer, SJP, SJS)

"There's nothing magical about 225, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #17
Gary in Va
Knows what a fatty is.

bought 2 cases of brisket flats from Costco yesterday. Case price $5.13/lb

"You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning"
Gary in Va is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #18
wormraper
Full Fledged Farker

with how high pork is going I'm doing a lot of chicken these days... probably better for my waist line too

so sad, I was LOOOOVING the cheap spare rib prices... I love ribs

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
No offense to the OP, but what is this the 20th thread on the subject in the past 2 months?
How many UDS, Kettle, wood, etc, threads do we have out there? Matter of fact, all the topics come around again and again. We don't need to read and respond to every thread if we don't like the topic. I'm sure this topic will come up again. It will be okay then too.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #20
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Time to embrace the turkey. Maybe a turkey throwdown to get some alternative takes to stimulate some some out of the box thinking.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #21
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
How many UDS, Kettle, wood, etc, threads do we have out there? Matter of fact, all the topics come around again and again. We don't need to read and respond to every thread if we don't like the topic. I'm sure this topic will come up again. It will be okay then too.
Understood. I just feel like a lot of it is B.S. (just like when gas prices go up) that we can all fight with our wallets instead of just blindly accepting it.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I operate a bbq restaurant in wading river, ny. www.northforkbacon.com I'll be flat out honest, we pay right around $4/lb for CAB brisket packers. We buy approximately 200lbs a week, over 5 cases so we get a quantity discount. The prices of beef are high, and unfortunately our prices have to reflect that. Coming in at $4/lb your average yield of a restaurant brisket(can't be serving people a 1/8lb of fat when they're paying for a 1/4lb of meat) is right around 50%. So before factoring in cooking costs, packaging, etc, i'm at $8/lb I charge $24/lb for brisket, to put out 4 1/4lb orders it cost me over $11 so my pricing is spot on, if not a little low. People don't understand the little costs that add up very quickly. Beef price is high, herds are low, fuel is astronomically high. Things aren't going to change.

What does piss me off, is places who cook and serve "brisket" yet cook off other sub standard cuts of meat and push it out as "chopped brisket". Same is going on with pork, many places have switched to the leaner, cheaper, and horrible cushion meat, and will still advertise it as boston butt. The bbq restaurant game is changing. Places that will continue to offer quality, will have to charge a premium for it, then there will be the places that go for quantity and price savings, with much lower quantity.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #23
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
None taken. I have seen several threads about high prices and some that explained the pork virus, but I had not seen a good explanation of beef prices. This article covered drought, herd size, demand from fast food industry, and herd recovery time. I thought it added more to the discussion.

David
Hell I'm livin it! I shipped the last of my cows yesterday.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

instead of trying to help the cattle ranchers through this crisis, here is where some of our hard earned tax money is going

I just heard about this on the radio

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/70637ed6-b...#axzz2yPBjUHyD
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
utahusker
On the road to being a farker

My wife texted this $2.99 brisket to me Friday.

I told her to pick one up, but I maybe should have gotten more.
utahusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #26
HossIsBoss
Full Fledged Farker

I bought a pound of ground beef the other day for $3.78 just last week it was $2.75.
HossIsBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #27
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I'm seriously thinking about buying and processing a goat or lamb too. Locally, for the price, I can't beat it to process and stuff it in the freezer. I can do the same with a whole hog, but it's a bit more work and takes up lots of freezer space. However, if a deal comes through, that piggy is in the deep freeze!
Go for it Bob! Definitely worth the effort. If you run out of freezer space, can the meat. It takes one day of hard work but the jars will feed you for months.

I'm sittin' alright. Have plenty of pork, beef and poultry on hand, both fresh and in the freezer or canned. Will hatch out more chickens and ducks for meat soon.
Got 2 nice deer last rifle season...that's plenty for me. Have quite a bit of fish I caught in the freezer and fishing season is just getting started again for me. Have plenty of quail and dove from hunting last fall.
Now if I can nurse my garden through another dry summer, I'll be fine in the veggie department.
Blog name added to photos to slow down folks posting them elsewhere as their own. Sorry! :/
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
BBQ Obsessions
Found some matches.

Don't be surprised when pork goes up. Talk radio last night report high mortality with the piglets from some viral disease that the farmers didn't see coming last year.
BBQ Obsessions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Obsessions View Post
Don't be surprised when pork goes up. Talk radio last night report high mortality with the piglets from some viral disease that the farmers didn't see coming last year.
scroll down a bit and you can read all about it here

BBQ Brethren has it all covered

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #30
MidnightStokersBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

This makes me sad.

18" WSM & 22" WSM
MidnightStokersBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote