oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
vaTim
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Kingsford / Patio Classic Oval charcoal grill

Hello,

I've had my eye on CL for a Kingsford/PC grill and was able to grab one yesterday. After cleaning it up I cooked some bone-in pork chops tonight direct then indirect. I'm liking everything this discontinued gem has to offer except... if anyone who has one can tell me is the coal shut-off a long process? It seems like the bottom vent isn't all that tight against the tube that feeds ash into the catcher. I could probably form the vent a bit better for a seal when closed but maybe it's just a little more leaky than a kettle? It's still pretty hot a few hours after trying to shut it down.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
BobBrisket

Are you trying to shut it down quickly to preserve some of the coals for a second cook or just shut it down quickly for safety reasons?

Those are nice looking grills. That's a beaut! If you are looking to shut it down to choke the coals for safety reasons, try to spread the coals out over the charcoal grate. They will snuff out faster if spread out vs. piled up.
UDS, PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
vaTim
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Yes looking to snuff it out for safety I'll be pulling this one in to the garage as soon as I can after a cook. Good idea on spreading the coals I did have them in a pretty tight pile on one side.. thanks-

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Since it's for safety, I'd would just spread them out after cooking. I'd even let it stay out overnight before putting it in the garage and do a clean out too.

Bob
UDS, PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

After I'm done cooking, I just let it rip after spreading out the coals.

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You should consult with Moose. He's been kicking out some good stuff on his for a while.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Notyek
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I looked for a new charcoal grill and found that non were better than my 26 year old Kingsford/PC grill. So I took it apart, bead blasted and powder coated the base. Sanded the out side cooking schell and painted with grill paint and re stained the wood slats. That brings me to why I am sharing this. I found a guy who makes the cooking grate to spec or with improvements from 304 stainless steel "food grade".. and 1/4in solid rod so it will last for many years. Maybe another 26 years. If you need a cooking grate made contact my email and I will let you know his info. I am new to this site and do not know if I can post his info here.
Notyek is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
FLHX
Knows what a fatty is.

I have one of these grills. It's gotta be close to 20 years old now. I pretty much use it for poultry now, it cooks two beer butt birds to 200 IT in about 2 hours (depending on conditions) with one chimney of coals split evenly on each side. She is starting to show her age...I really should refurb her...Nah, works fine just like she is.