The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Woodford Reserve BBQ Chicken (Rubber Skin Edition)

Chicken thighs: brined in water with 2 parts salt, 1 part Tony Chachere's and 3 parts brown sugar for ~ 4hours

Dusted with Plowboys Yardbird prior to smoke.

Threw them on Major along with some corn and what turned out to be 3/4 of a load of wet charcoal. I was wanting to cook this at about 350F but the best I could get Major up to was 225F or so with the bottom vent fully open and all 4 of my 3/4" intakes in the side of the bowl. I started it with a half lit small Weber chimney and after only getting up to about 150F in the first 45 minutes, I started up another full small Weber chimney and that still wasn't enough.

After dicking with the coals for what seemed like forever, they were done after about 1.5 hours.

At that point, I dipped them in this mix of Austin's Own BBQ Sauce: Border Edition, mixed with ~20-30% Woodford Reserve Bourbon that I mixed up a bit earlier. I lit the bourbon on fire for a bit because fire is cool....and it burns off some of the alcohol. Then poured in the sauce and simmered for a bit.

After dipping them, I threw them in the oven under the broiler for a bit to set the sauce and hopefully get the skin to be crispy enough...it wasn't.

Here it is all plated up withe the corn on the cob I had on the smoker as well. Flavor was awesome but I was disappointed in the skin...

- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Last edited by peeps; 04-06-2014 at 11:03 PM..
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Smoke Dawg
Babbling Farker

I see what you mean on the skin - Got a pic of the meat under that skin?

Looks good what I can see.
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Fwismoker

Pretty meal peeps.....as far as the chewy skin goes all i'll say is my drum sticks today had a crispy crunch...compliments of the mini.

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
16Adams

Ok- here's my spin on things. Best Whiskey-best chicken parts, fire and smoke.
Touch em all. You just dodged fark'n tennis ball hail and tornados. Have another with a splash, floss the damn bird and have another WR.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
I see what you mean on the skin - Got a pic of the meat under that skin?

Looks good what I can see.
What you see is what I got. Taste was fantastic aside from rubbery skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Pretty meal peeps.....as far as the chewy skin goes all i'll say is my drum sticks today had a crispy crunch...compliments of the mini.
the charcola I had leftover was from my whole chicken from at least a month ago. It has rained I don't know how many times since then. I knew I should have dumped it and started fresh, but I thought it would be OK...goes to show I don't know chit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Ok- here's my spin on things. Best Whiskey-best chicken parts, fire and smoke.
Touch em all. You just dodged fark'n tennis ball hail and tornados. Have another with a splash, floss the damn bird and have another WR.
Cheers, sir! Despite trouble with the fire, everything was great!

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Fwismoker

Ok good i'm glad you got it figured out Peeps.... Ya know i could come down there and show you how to operate that mini of yours and crank out some chicken but i'm not cheap!

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Ok good i'm glad you got it figured out Peeps.... Ya know i could come down there and show you how to operate that mini of yours and crank out some chicken but i'm not cheap!
Just come down to the Bash next weekend!

You cover the flight and I'll cover your camping and the food. I think we can fit another in our tent

I did this chicken today as a practice run for Friday night. At least I know what I screwed up I'll probably manage to screw something else up next time

Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dang, I can't believe you brine thighs that long. 2 hours and mine are salt city. But then I do 1 part salt, 1 part brown sugar to 4 parts water. I think thighs are way better with no brine cooked about 290. Flip about 30 minutes done in about an hour or so..
XL BGE, Cold smokehouse, Kamado Joe Jr, Santa Maria pit, Backwoods Chubby, 26.75" Weber custom performer, Blackstone 36" griddle, MAK One Star pellet cooker, 22"WSM, Jumbo Joe, WGA, Smokey Joe, UDS, Wood fired pizza oven, UUNI

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
http://www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Dang, I can't believe you brine thighs that long. 2 hours and mine are salt city. But then I do 1 part salt, 1 part brown sugar to 4 parts water. I think thighs are way better with no brine cooked about 290. Flip about 30 minutes done in about an hour or so..
Marty, I left out the 3 parts brown sugar for the brine.

I have never brined them but read that I should give it a try. I rindered them thoroughly after the brine before the application of the rub and I did not detect an overly salty taste at all. If they were salty, Tasha would have mentioned it for sure!

I will try a batch unbrined sometime to compare. This was my first ever batch of bone-in, skin on thighs.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
supertramp
On the road to being a farker

peeps, i just threw up in my mouth a little bit. the food looks great but that longhorm mug, yuck.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
peeps, i just threw up in my mouth a little bit. the food looks great but that longhorm mug, yuck.
\m/ I didn't mean to (Hook 'em) make you (Texas FIGHT!) sick...hope you get (The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You) to feeling better!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

I never understood the wanting crispy skin on chicken the rubbery skin is full of flavor and awesome tasting. I have done it crispy bite through but it is not as tasty as rubbery flavor filled skin. I am weird I know but still that chicken looks good to me.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
supertramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
\m/ I didn't mean to (Hook 'em) make you (Texas FIGHT!) sick...hope you get (The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You) to feeling better!
thanks for the concern peeps, i found a cure for this particular ailment though

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
thanks for the concern peeps, i found a cure for this particular ailment though

Snyder, Snyder, Snydercats....HOOOOO!!!!!!!

They sure have a knack for being a pain in the ass!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #15
supertramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Snyder, Snyder, Snydercats....HOOOOO!!!!!!!

They sure have a knack for being a pain in the ass!
hey, we let you guys win last year with the understanding that you were gonna keep mack around for another couple years. you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.

but, back to food....