Another charcoal chimney beef steak

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score

Steak-check
Beef-check

Lump-Check
Chimney-Check...the badest of all chimneys made!
Grate-Used the Weber Go Anywhere grate, worked perfectly.

A little Oakridge Santa Maria rub...did I mention that I am out of this, the HDD and the Black Ops? Time to reorder!

Placed on the grate and ready to get happy.

Wow, I couldn't believe how hot this got and so quickly. I barely had the steak on the grate and as you can see, pretty much well done:doh:

The flavor of the char was fantastic. I will do this again soon, if I can afford another steak. This was an appetizer to enter the TD, I made some pork-steaks for the real dinner at a fraction of the cost per pound.

Thanks for looking, While not perfect, not a complete failure. I appreciate the learning opportunity!!!

Dude, they look great to me.

Taste was awesome, just overcooked for me. Thanks for the kind words though...

If there is anyone that has not tried this, I would highly recommend it!

I love it and :spy: I love seeing a juicy, well done steak…. the way I eat it. :biggrin1: I've never tried it with a charcoal chimney and you've moved that higher on my list of priorities, thank you brother.

We buy our beef from traditionally-raised farms that pasture-feed, a half steer/cow costs about $3.50 to $4 per pound and the meat is awesome. I've bought Red Angus, Black Angus, Limousin, Charolais and I've got a special French breed ordered for this fall that I don't remember the name of. My butcher is raising them and when I visited him last week he showed me the different grains he was sowing for feed. He puts a lot of thought and effort into the meat he raises and right now my 'whole' order is at $3.60/lb but if gas prices rise the end price will rise slightly. The small-scale butchers in my area age beef around 28 - 30 days, much longer than grocery store beef, so each cut is significantly more tender than it's grocery store counterpart. A good butcher will custom cut for smoking if you ask. It's tough saving up for the first side but after that, if you put the few dollars away each piece costs when you thaw it the next beef side is a breeze. I can help you find some local-to-you food organizations if you are interested and need help to start, just PM me.

Kathy, thanks for the kind words...I had forgotten about that steak and need to do another just like it. The charred flavor was fantastic.

As far as sourcing beef, my local apple orchard/farm has recently begun offering grass fed anti-biotic free beef including ground beef and steaks at a very reasonable price. We live in a semi-rural area. Other cuts are available by request only. We have tried the ground beef twice and it was awesome. Fired up some of their steaks last week and they now have our beef needs covered. I plan on ordering a brisket or two soon and asking about Tri-tip as well.

Thanks for your offer, if this falls through I may take you up on it. Otherwise, maybe some of the other Brethren can use the help.

:thumb:

Good for you! What does that farm charge for freezer orders for a half steer/cow? I'm wondering if your price is similar to mine. It's good information to get out, especially for folks who don't know the sticker price for factory-farmed meat at a grocery store is more expensive than freezer orders from a well-run, small-scale local farm. Hard to believe that cheese and nuts can be a more expensive protein than very good quality meat, isn't it?

Back