MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
SuburbSlicker
Full Fledged Farker

Default Out-of-the-box depreciation on a used grill?

So I'm always on the hunt for a cheap new toy to experiment with and I've been combing through CL for the last couple of years on the hunt for some new gadget or grill that I've not gotten to play with yet.

So I'm thinking that if you've used it a few times (you often see people getting frustrated after ruining their third amateur rack of ribs and wanting to dump something potentially good then) -- it drops 50% from retail. When you drive the car off the lot, it loses some value, but I know that loss depends on the demand for that car. I'm strictly speaking about backyard toys, not better smokers. CL prices are all over the map.

On another thread, someone thinks 65 to 70% of retail might be a good deal (without factoring in shipping).

So what do you think? Probably mass-marketed, minimally used, no mods, probably not well maintained, may need a good cleaning -- how much do you want off retail?
SuburbSlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

40% of the retail price (60% discount) seems about right to me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I think it depends on what kind of cooker it is (desirability and availability geographically) along with how much it costs originally. I do not think it is a % thing. For example, a COS will depreciate nearly 100%. There is no point in buying a used one when a new one is only going to be a few dollars more. A WSM will retain a good amount of its original value comparatively, but it also depends on when during the year you are buying and in what climate. Sometimes you just get lucky because someone wants to dump something before they move.

I think you are referring to the thread about the Lang and the Rec Tec. A used Lang is hard to come by, and the chances of finding one local (no shipping) makes it a little bit more valuable as well.

Maybe some details about what you are considering buying would help. We've got your location.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
A WSM will retain a good amount of its original value comparatively, but it also depends on when during the year you are buying and in what climate.

A WSM won't retain this much of it's original value. http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/for/4404229499.html

There is never anything in our area...and if there is it's priced like this! lol

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Funny that the guy claims he paid $525 for an item with a nearly fixed retail price of $399.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
peeps

It all depends on the item, it's longevity, quality, etc...

Like new (used a handful of times), considering no tax and no shipping charges, 60-70% off retail is where I would start if selling. I'm looking for 50-60% (MAX) off delivered price when buying used depending on item, condition, availability, warranty transfer, etc. Selling prices of used items are most always negotiable, so as a seller you have to start high, but with a realistic figure and as a buyer you have to start with a realistically low figure and hopefully the 2 parties can find common ground somewhere in the middle.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote