ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Memphis - Beale Street

Aeynghus & I and wives are meeting in Memphis tomorrow afternoon for a weekend of Blues & BBQ on Beale St.

I didn't think to ask this earlier in the week, but does anyone have recommendations for great Q over there?

Arlin

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Ron_L

OK... I'm sure that someone will have firsthand experience, but here;s a site that I bookmarked from my trip to Memphis last July...

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/colezoo/Robert/bbq.html

It was a corporate event and I never had a chance to visit any of these places. A couple of locals I talked to mentioned Corky's and Little Pigs as the best.

The Naked Fatty!

Cooker to be named later/FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Arlin_MacRae

Thanks, Ron! I'm printing that and taking it with me.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Unread 06-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Jorge

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Aeynghus & I and wives are meeting in Memphis tomorrow afternoon for a weekend of Blues & BBQ on Beale St.

I didn't think to ask this earlier in the week, but does anyone have recommendations for great Q over there?

Arlin
No, but you can remind that farker to visit Cattle Call since he hasn't been seen or heard from in a while

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

I have seen on some of the Food TV shows that Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous restaurant is one of the places to go in Memphis. I dont know where it is but its not far from Beale street

I'd like to be remembered as one of those "larger than life" people, but as I'm only 5'6" I just work on being *wider* than life.
(Pedro Moura Pinheiro, a funny guy)
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
1MoreFord
is one Smokin' Farker

I've eaten at the Rendezvous a couple of times as wasn't really impressed either time. Only went there the second time 'cause the fiancee wanted to eat there.

Also have eaten at Interstate. Liked them much better'n Rendezvous.

However, My favorite so far is Central BBQ.

I've also seen good recommendations for Neeley's (same family as Interstate) and the Germantown Commissary.
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I have eaten in lots of Memphis BBQ joints and have yet to get a bad meal. I like the Rendezvous (an old speak easy located downstairs in an ally across from the Peabody Hotel). I also like Corky's, and there are lots of little joints with great food. While you are there I would also recommend the Butcher Block. You pick out your own steak and grill it yourself over one of their pits. It was Elvis' favorite place. He would show up unannounced and when he came in the owner would lock the door to keep out the groupies while he grilled his steak and talked to the other patrons. When you are finished I would walk down Beale Street to the Rum Boogie Cafe for some Booze and Blues. It has axes (guitars) hanging from the ceiling that were signed by the people that played them (like Stevie Ray Vaughan and such).

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
N2OGuy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Talking Its been many years ago ...

The Rendevous used to be the hot spot for ribs. Man were they gooood. Cant speak of much else but the ribs were very good in deed.
N2OGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Well, we survived our weekend and ate & drank WELL.

Aeynghus & Annie's hotel turned out to be right next door to the Rendezvous so we went there within the first half hour of arrival!

The ribs come dry so I thought I'd eat them that way. They were VERY tasty and perfectly done, but pretty skimpy on the amount of meat. A whole rack was only a snack, but that left room to try some other place. The rub was slightly citrusy and good so I bought a bottle to try at home.

We spent a lot of time in Silky O'Sullivan's, drinking many pints of Guinness and listening to a ton of music. We ate BBQ brisket nachos a couple of times that were really farking good. Note to self stuff there...

Saturday we stopped at "Pig" and had pulled pork sammiches that were REALLY good. Had to buy shirts, too. ;)

Aeynghus wore his Brethren shirt, and it was quite at home in Memphis.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Arlin

Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...