oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #526
dpuryear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Yee-haw. I'm gonna be a papa

Just did the deed today, expecting my 900 lb baby in 7-9 weeks. Hope the delivery isn't as painful as some have described.
Many thanks to all the posters in this thread - you were instrumental in my choice of the LSG insulated vertical smoker over all the competitors.
Can't wait to start playing with my new baby.
Sold the ABS Pitt Boss Rotisserie
LSG Insulated Vertical Smoker on order
dpuryear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #527
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuryear View Post
Just did the deed today, expecting my 900 lb baby in 7-9 weeks. Hope the delivery isn't as painful as some have described.
Many thanks to all the posters in this thread - you were instrumental in my choice of the LSG insulated vertical smoker over all the competitors.
Congratulations!

The delivery is not too bad, you will definitely need help and maybe a sawzall and a crowbar too :) If you plan to move the smoker to your back yard, save the plywood the crate is built with, helps move the smoker across the yard if thats your plan.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #528
Sergeant Smoke
On the road to being a farker

I have a trailer with a long, heavy duty ramp. I'll drive 2 hours, roll it up in the trailer, strap it down, drive home, roll it off the ramp directly onto my concrete back porch. Don't hate me!!!!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #529
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Smoke View Post
I have a trailer with a long, heavy duty ramp. I'll drive 2 hours, roll it up in the trailer, strap it down, drive home, roll it off the ramp directly onto my concrete back porch. Don't hate me!!!!
Sooooo jealous...It was an experience for me for sure. I am glad you have it easy.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #530
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Smoke View Post
That's what I did. The guys there actually loaded it up for me, bubble wrapped it and strapped it down to the trailer. Got home, rolled it off the trailer right to it's spot.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #531
Sergeant Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
That's what I did. The guys there actually loaded it up for me, bubble wrapped it and strapped it down to the trailer. Got home, rolled it off the trailer right to it's spot.
Even better!!!!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #532
clweed

I thought that I would share a few pictures of the custom Cart that Chris built for me to complete my outdoor kitchen.
I have a Twin Eagles Sear Station mounted between the Scheer Parilla and Rotisserie grills.

clweed is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #533
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
I thought that I would share a few pictures of the custom Cart that Chris built for me to complete my outdoor kitchen.
I have a Twin Eagles Sear Station mounted between the Scheer Parilla and Rotisserie grills.

Wow, nice gear. Nice patio too!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #534
J15491

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post

Wow that's a great setup, I have been interested in the scheer brand specifically the vaquero, but I can't find a lot of info on them online, what are your thoughts? If you don't mind me asking what's the pricing I can't find much info in that either since they only deal with small retailers?
J15491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #535
Gerard1960
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuryear View Post
Congrats. I'm a newbie and so glad I found this forum. I just received my LSG
this week. I highly recommend using a long crow-bar and a reciprocal saw(saws all)
Plus maybe a good friend or neighbor to help with the nail removing! I did remove
The pit by myself using the used 2x4 blocks I cut from the crate.
Btw: didn't realize 2 of the 4 wheels lock. They come locked in the shipping crate.

Last edited by Gerard1960; 08-29-2014 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Just some info
Gerard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #536
jrben1

Default T-Plates

I sure do like the new T-plates. I haven't done any real comparison tests, but it seems to me that you get a longer burn with them. I also think you get less overshoot, which makes sense. Without the T-plates the fire progresses out in all directions in a radial fashion - whereas with them the burn has to follow a preset path.
The first patent for this process was patented by Jedmaster and was called the "Ring of Fire". Big Bob Gibson still uses two of these Jedmasters. James Britt of Britt's BBQ bought Jedmaster around 2002 just so he could acquire the patent. Britt manufactured the first "Jack's Old South" cookers and used built in T-plates in the cookers. He has since gone out of business and the patent has expired.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #537
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

So I picked mine up yesterday.... Yay!!!!

Today I did the seasoning, I have some notes and pron to share so forgive me if this gets a bit wordy.

So even though I think I am half way intelligent sometimes my true self tends to show up... I found the perfect trailer to put my pit on, it has high sides and enough room for me to have a table, tool box, etc... and I can even fit a cot on it so I can sleep at comps... I get the pit home yesterday on the trailer and, yep you guessed it to tall for the garage... Plan A out the window, no plan B... lol

Today I had to go to work for a while got home and it was time to do the do.. I hosed every living inside part that I could down with vegetable oil, I loaded up one and half t plate rows and added a chimney of charcoal, closed everything up and waited. I did not add water I wanted to see 1. how long it would take to get hot and 2. I wanted the water pan to get seasoned.

I set my Stoker on 225 It took 32 minutes to get there. Then when the stoker shut off it kept climbing and climbing.... I added 1 gallon of water waited about 15 minutes then another then another 15 another gallon. It never went above 250 but it got really close... It settled in at about 235 and stayed there I finished seasoning at 4 hours.

I decided I wanted to do a biscuit test, I loaded up the biscuits shut the door and cranked up the stoker to 280. Well that did not happen... The smoker never got above 200 I opened up the damper all the way, I even drained the water thinking that would do it but nope nadda not happening... (I am thinking that it was near the end of the fuel and even with the fan going full blast it could not get higher) but I don't know, Help!!! The biscuits in the picture were done, I can tell you that there is no hot spots and is very even from top to bottom.

Stokers only have a 1 1/2 ball valve adapter so I bought a downsize, and it works fine. Also I put a 90 on the drain and and a short pipe to not have splashing.

I do want to know about the moisture, when I opened my door the water was just pouring down, is this normal? it was like a steam room. If you look at the racks with the biscuits on them the smoke did not adhere to the racks like my other smokers did when I seasoned them, did I do something wrong?

Do you usually start off with water in the pan? and if so how much? and how long does it usually take to get hot with a pan full?

Let me finish this book by telling everyone about my buying experience. So I got to LSG to pick up my pit and when I opened the door my extra shelf was not in the right place (not happy!!!) So I look at Chris, he looks at me and guess what he did? yep you got it right he fixed it on the spot!!!! I have to say sometimes I can be a dick but this guy he went the extra mile to make me happy and I really appreciated it. Please if you are looking for a good product at a better price then everyone else call LSG!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140920_150750.jpg (58.7 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_150757.jpg (39.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_154221.jpg (70.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_163205.jpg (35.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_163223.jpg (35.7 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_163250.jpg (29.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_214344.jpg (73.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg 20140920_214308.jpg (78.9 KB, 297 views)

Old 09-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #538
jrben1

[QUOTE=gotribe28;3056626] I do want to know about the moisture, when I opened my door the water was just pouring down, is this normal? it was like a steam room.
Do you usually start off with water in the pan? and if so how much? and how long does it usually take to get hot with a pan full?
QUOTE]

I usually start with 6 1/2 gallons of cold water, which pretty much fills the water pan. I plan on waiting one hour after adding the lighted chimney of coals, at which time I am at my cooking temp of 225 degrees. I don't pre-heat the cooker. Some of the guys use a propane torch to do this. I close the damper on my Guru to 25% open at this time to prevent overshoot. Never had a Stoker, but I think they have a valve which shuts off air when the fan isn't running??? If you get these cookers too hot you have to shut both the intake and exhaust vents - it may take an hour to get the temp back down. Don't open the door as it will stoke the fire.

Not sure what you mean by water running down. I am used to a moist environment which is normal, but never saw water running down anywhere.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #539
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

So today I did some Turkey breasts, Ribs and a IBCA practice chicken, the ribs came out great, the chicken was ok, but the Turkey, well I did not like it, to me it seemed like it was steamed not smoked, even though the IT was 170 the skin still looked raw to me... These are finished but to me look pre cooked.... The water in the pan was boiling so hard that it was splashing onto the bottom pan so I did not use it, I am in a learning curve here so sorry for being dumb....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140921_161806.jpg (75.6 KB, 273 views)

Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #540
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotribe28 View Post
So I picked mine up yesterday.... Yay!!!!

I set my Stoker on 225 It took 32 minutes to get there. Then when the stoker shut off it kept climbing and climbing.... I added 1 gallon of water waited about 15 minutes then another then another 15 another gallon. It never went above 250 but it got really close... It settled in at about 235 and stayed there I finished seasoning at 4 hours.

I decided I wanted to do a biscuit test, I loaded up the biscuits shut the door and cranked up the stoker to 280. Well that did not happen... The smoker never got above 200 I opened up the damper all the way, I even drained the water thinking that would do it but nope nadda not happening... (I am thinking that it was near the end of the fuel and even with the fan going full blast it could not get higher) but I don't know, Help!!! The biscuits in the picture were done, I can tell you that there is no hot spots and is very even from top to bottom.

I do want to know about the moisture, when I opened my door the water was just pouring down, is this normal? it was like a steam room. If you look at the racks with the biscuits on them the smoke did not adhere to the racks like my other smokers did when I seasoned them, did I do something wrong?

I suspect the use of the t-plates and the loss of fuel limited your ability to raise the temperature. The t-plates slow the burn down and limit fuel consumption. If you burn old school, using the minion method by lighting a corner, you will be able to run it hotter. I have no problem running it that hot even with water. Although pushing it to 280 with water might be hard. I would run it dry till you hit your target temp then slowly add hot water 1 pitcher at a time, to keep the smoker temp from dropping.

Keep in mind when you run it very hot with water, the water will boil very fast and produce a lot of steam. You could put foil pans in the water tray and fill them with water to slow the boiling.

I prefer to cook at 225... I will start with 40lb of coals, light the corner, fill the pan full to the rim of hot water from the tap. The smoker will take an hour to reach target temp of 225 with the guru. I shut down the vents and let the guru stoke the fire to 225 when I am 100 degress from my target.

As for the seasoning experience, it will take a few cooks for the smoker to get real "dirty". When I seasoned the first time, it still looked new. Now after a dozen cooks, it looks just right :)