oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #316
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Chris, as an existing customer I would happy to take a prototype and test it for you. No problem....
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #317
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I think I'm beginning to get a system that works for me.
I like to cook at 225 degrees with a full water pan. I set the Guru at 230 as my Tel Tru reads 225 after everything is equilibrated. The Guru will show 230 anywhere between 225 and 235.
Ambient temp today 70 degrees. I added 7 gallons of cold water about 2 hours before the cook. It filled the pan and a little spilled over into the firebox.
After adding one chimney of lighted KBB I left the second air vent wide open and the Guru damper 100% open. It took 45 minutes for the Guru pit temp to reach 225. At this point I closed the exhaust vent to 50%, the Guru damper to 50 %, and closed the second air vent.
There was no temp overshoot - I guess because the water pan is full. Even if it did overshoot the temp would come down when you add the meat. I think this will be my system moving forward unless something happens to change it.
I think up to temp in 45 minutes is very acceptable.
How did you light the coals, minion or fuse. On my first run, I essentially did what you did and overshot temps to 275F. The only difference is I filled the water pan with 7 gallons of boiling water and I used the minion method to light the coals.

I am going to try the same thing, but close the vents when I am 100F away from my target and let the guru raise the temps slowly.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #318
ggee6688
On the road to being a farker

Ive done both. I like the train perpendicular to the front door. Going parallel is too long and the curve transitions allows more fuel to be burnt at once. I keep the lead coals far away from my stoker control valve.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #319
lonestargrillz
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
How did you light the coals, minion or fuse. On my first run, I essentially did what you did and overshot temps to 275F. The only difference is I filled the water pan with 7 gallons of boiling water and I used the minion method to light the coals.

I am going to try the same thing, but close the vents when I am 100F away from my target and let the guru raise the temps slowly.
With the Guru (especially the 25cfm fan) I would leave the second cap on, let the fan push the air in. For lighting the coals leave a void on one end or in one corner and pour your lit coals (lite a charcoal chimney 3/4 full to full off to the side until completely lit) into that void.

Thanks
Chris
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #320
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
With the Guru (especially the 25cfm fan) I would leave the second cap on, let the fan push the air in. For lighting the coals leave a void on one end or in one corner and pour your lit coals (lite a charcoal chimney 3/4 full to full off to the side until completely lit) into that void.

Thanks
Chris
Thanks Chris! I am going to fire it up this weekend and try it that way for memorial day meat fest.

Appreciate the tips always!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #321
ggee6688

Me too. Gonna get this smoker dialed in got some comps to go to this summer.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #322
jrben1

Quote:

I use the same method I use in my Backwoods, which is the same thing that Chris suggested. Leave a void in one corner (I use the left front corner) and pour the lighted coals in that corner. I think you could call it a variation of the Minion method.
I tried closing the second vent at 190 degrees, but the temp rise really slowed down. The temp came up much faster with both vents open and I did not have a problem with overshoot. I think I will keep doing it that way.
In my Backwoods I close the first vent completely at 175 and close the second vent down to 1/4 inch open at 200 degrees - then fine tune from there.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #323
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I use the same method I use in my Backwoods, which is the same thing that Chris suggested. Leave a void in one corner (I use the left front corner) and pour the lighted coals in that corner. I think you could call it a variation of the Minion method.
I tried closing the second vent at 190 degrees, but the temp rise really slowed down. The temp came up much faster with both vents open and I did not have a problem with overshoot. I think I will keep doing it that way.
In my Backwoods I close the first vent completely at 175 and close the second vent down to 1/4 inch open at 200 degrees - then fine tune from there.
Good pointers! Thanks. Its kind a cross between minion and fuse...Will give it a shot for sure. When I lit the coals, my void was in the center, that was a disaster to say the least...Bringing the temps down took an hour...

Thanks again....Cant wait for meat coma!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #324
clweed
Knows what a fatty is.

What are you feeding your LSGVS this weekend?

1-brisket
2- butts
4- st.louis ribs
2- beef short ribs
Southside market sausage

Epicoa Scheer Vaquero Rotisserie
Epicoa Scheer Rio (Argentine style parrilla)
Twin Eagles Sear Station

Last edited by clweed; 05-23-2014 at 03:43 PM..
clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #325
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
What are you feeding your LSGVS this weekend?
You got a nice spread there...

I will be doing the following:

2x18lb Prime briskets ,
1xrack of st Louis rib,
3 racks baby back ribs,
10 Earl Campbells hot links (yes that's cheating, but they are soooo gooood),
bacon wrapped jalapenos,
and gonna try moinks as well

Old 05-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #326
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
You got a nice spread there...

I will be doing the following:

2x18lb Prime briskets ,
1xrack of st Louis rib,
3 racks baby back ribs,
10 Earl Campbells hot links (yes that's cheating, but they are soooo gooood),
bacon wrapped jalapenos,
and gonna try moinks as well
What time is dinner?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #327
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

I wanted to thank everyone here for posting advice on temperature control and fire management. My second smoke was flawless, been holding at 225 for 12 hours now, and never overshot once.

I started with approx 30lb of KBB, and lit the front left corner of the charcoal basket. When I hit 125F, I closed the second valve down, cut the smoke stack down to 50% and let the guru take over (came to temp just over 45min). I also filled the pan to the brim, with hot water from the sink, and did not boil it first. My guru is set wide open as that seemed to be the best setting with 1/2 stack open.

Meat coma scheduled for 6pm....will post results tomorrow :)

Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 AM   #328
ggee6688

How many hours did you get with 30lbs?
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #329
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

I got approximately 23 hours. I lit the firebox at around 6pm Friday evening, and had to add a few more lbs of charcoal at 5pm Saturday afternoon to extend time to 7pm. There were still coals left when I choked the fire at 8pm. I used more fuel this time, as I kept the water pan fairly full with warm water as apposed to boiling water. I believe I burned more fuel than the last due to the lower temps in the water I was adding. The guru would have to work harder to stoke the fire to hold temps. No complaints really, just a slight observation.

For me, this second run was pretty flawless. The smoker and the guru held temps for 28 hours at 225. Temps would rise by 10 degrees when I open the door to access meats etc, but would recover back to 225 in about 15 to 20 min, like clockwork. Very impressed in how easy it is to work with.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #330
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
Yes. I guess having water at ambient temp vs pipe temp is better. What's your fuel consumption fully loaded.
I don't know how to calculate fuel consumption unless you maintain your pit temp until the fuel runs out.
My cooks are usually shorter than that and once the food is done I don't monitor the pit.
An interesting side note. On a recent Saturday I added lit KBB at 1 PM. I had about 25 lbs total charcoal. I shut down the intake and exhaust vents when the food was done. The next morning I noticed the pit temp was still 125. I opened one intake vent and the exhaust vent before I went to church. When I returned at 1 PM the pit temp was 270 degrees. It was still 245 degrees at 5 PM, 28 hours after lit charcoal was added. I didn't check the pit after that - cocktail hour, you know.
Since then I have decided to let the pit burn itself out after the food is done. Otherwise you won't be able to clean out the ashes the next day.