The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #271
ggee6688
On the road to being a farker

My vents are closed so bugs don't get in there.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #272
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
Ah, good point....
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #273
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
My vents are kept closed too. I wonder what Chris recommends?
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #274
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Default 8" Locking Wheel upgrade

Did you guys see that? There is finally a reasonable cost upgrade for wheels. You can now get 8" Locking Wheels....too late for us, especially for me and my sloping patio lmao mine won't be going/moving anywhere for as long as I live in that house

Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #275
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice, given your first smoke, the weather and all. Then again - damn what a smoker.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #276
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Can I change my previous post? I found a couple of crispy bugs in my firebox today. mine will remain closed from now on.

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #277
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Can I change my previous post? I found a couple of crispy bugs in my firebox today. mine will remain closed from now on.
I guess that answers my question...

Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #278
ggee6688

Would have been great to get the locking wheels instead of wheeling chocks around. I would probably use them anyways.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #279
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
Very nice, given your first smoke, the weather and all. Then again - damn what a smoker.
FatCoyote, do you have an LSG Vertical Insulated Smoker?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #280
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Did you guys see that? There is finally a reasonable cost upgrade for wheels. You can now get 8" Locking Wheels....too late for us, especially for me and my sloping patio lmao mine won't be going/moving anywhere for as long as I live in that house
I would wager to say that our group was responsible for getting Chris to add a caster with brakes to his accessories. I think we improved the product for future customers. Good for us!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #281
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
I would wager to say that our group was responsible for getting Chris to add a caster with brakes to his accessories. I think we improved the product for future customers. Good for us!
What I said before was truth full that we have been looking forever for a good replacement, but also you all were responsible for proding us into looking much harder. After a day of tracking backwards from retailers, distributes and finally getting in touch with a mfg we found our new 8'' wheels which include a swivel lock and wheel lock. They are slightly higher in cost but its a really nice wheel. Moving forward all wheels will be bolted on so changing them out is easy.

I leave the vents open, when it gets hotter and more humid if you close the vents it will grow mold and mildew on the food grates (any one with a green egg knows what I am talking about, at least here in the south).

We are also starting to work on a smaller version, and any input would be much appreciated. My thoughts so far are as follows, keep the height the same but but shrink the width and depth down to around 24''x24'' give or take a little. Rack dimensions will roughly be 17'' wide by 21 1/2'' deep, just enough for one full size foil pan with a little breathing room all around it. Any input would be much appreciated.
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #282
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
Rack dimensions will roughly be 17'' wide by 21 1/2'' deep, just enough for one full size foil pan with a little breathing room all around it. Any input would be much appreciated.
Folks are paying extra for Backwoods G2 models that will fit full-size foil pans with 16.5" x 21.5" racks. I think that would be the perfect size for a smaller version. Same height would be easy marketing, it would be half the capacity, but I suspect you could drop the height to 3 racks and still have a market. 4 racks would put you at roughly the size of a Backwoods G2 Party, 3 would be the width and depth of a G2 Chubby but roughly the height of a Fatboy, which isn't a bad setup at all.

If you went with a 3 rack height (internal height of 19" or so), you might consider actually including 4 racks and extra rack sliders, so you can go 3 racks with 6" clearance, or have some racks closer together for cooking stuff like ribs. The extra sliders would give more options for organizing the cooking space.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #283
ggee6688

Having a smaller version would be nice too. Three racks for pans would be good with sliders built for smaller rib and chicken racks. I may be able hide it in the corner of the garage.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #284
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I may be able hide it in the corner of the garage.
LOL, see if you can get it built in "Sheet rock" or "Water heater closet" finish.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #285
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
We are also starting to work on a smaller version, and any input would be much appreciated. My thoughts so far are as follows, keep the height the same but but shrink the width and depth down to around 24''x24'' give or take a little. Rack dimensions will roughly be 17'' wide by 21 1/2'' deep, just enough for one full size foil pan with a little breathing room all around it. Any input would be much appreciated.
Chris, I think that is a great idea. Cooking with foil pans has become quite popular in recent years, so I think it is important to build a smoker that a full sized foil pan will fit in. Your smokers should compete very well with Backwoods Smokers, which I have used for 8 years. They have only recently started building smokers for full sized foil pans.
I have several thoughts:
1.) Keep your ash pan arrangement the way it is. I love it. The firebox and ash pan slide out together so you don't spill ashes on the driveway. My Backwoods ash pan rests on the bottom of the firebox and is subject to rust and ash spillage.
Weld 2.jpg
2.) I would keep 4 racks instead of 3. I rarely use the rack just above the water pan. The more capacity the better.
3.) Keep the 2" ball valve air intake. It works great and is easy to adapt to the Guru.
4.) Be sure to add casters as an option (with brakes). A lot of us use them.
5.) Consider adding a diffuser plate as an option. Backwoods and the Meadowcreek BX50 both use these.
6.) Consider upgrading the slam latches. The Backwoods slam latch seems to be of a little better quality.
Latch CloseUp.jpg
7.) Consider offering T-plates as an option such as used in the Gator Pit Rebel and Dual Stacker.
Good luck on your new design. Let us know when you have a design.