oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #256
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Great picts darkoozy! You did a great job cooking up a ton of food!
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #257
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
Great picts darkoozy! You did a great job cooking up a ton of food!
Thanks!

This smoker is exactly what I was looking for. It makes bbq very convenient without the constant need to tend to anything and has impressive capacity to cook.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #258
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Smile Backwoods vs Lone Star Grillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J15491 View Post
Can you describe the difference withe your backwoods and your Lonestar cabinet? I'm trying to decide between the two
Backwoods Smokers are excellent smokers. I have a Backwoods Fat Boy which is 8 years old which I keep at my condo in Florida. Mike patented the reverse flow (patent has now expired). There is a third wall on the inside. The smoke exits at the top and the exhaust pickup is at the bottom of the smoker so the smoke goes from top to bottom. I understand the Pitmaker Vault also has reverse flow. The racks are 19 1/2" square. I like to cook with foil pans. You can get a full sized pan in there if you bend it but it messes up the air circulation. They now make a Backwoods Gator that has big enough racks to accommodate a full size foil pan, but only one pan per rack. Compare the Gator at $2370 vs. the LSG at $2595 - no comparison. If you move up to the Backwoods Pro Junior you are approaching $5,000. You can get 2 full sized pans per rack on the LSG without any problem. The Gator Pit Rebel is the same size as the LSG but it costs $4640.
Both smokers are very fuel efficient. Both smokers are well built. I can't tell any difference in how they cook or how the food tastes. The LSG is big and takes one hour to come up to temp with a full water pan after you add lighted charcoal. The Fat Boy will come up to temp in 30 minutes and my Myron Mixon smoker also came up to temp in 30 minutes. I don't look on this as bad, just something you have to adjust for.
All in all I think the LSG vertical insulated smoker is a hell of a smoker for the money. You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #259
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Thanks!

This smoker is exactly what I was looking for. It makes bbq very convenient without the constant need to tend to anything and has impressive capacity to cook.
That's is why it caught my eye and this smoker, and I could not be happier!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #260
pyroman175@yahoo
Found some matches.

Well as I was heading out of town on Thursday to Show Low AZ for a bbq competition I got a phone call from Amber at LSG. She told me my smoker was done and was shipping out
Well I'm back and today is Monday. Looked at the tracking for my smoker and they took the long way !!!!! Texas to Phoenix over the weekend and now it's scheduled to go to Vegas then to me !!!!!! DAM the shipping company the idiots have to drive through Kingman which is only 30 miles from me on there way to Vegas. Just to turn around and drive 90 miles to deliver it !!!!! I could be seasoning my grill as we speak but NO I have to wait an extra two days because of this. Man I'm depressed but excited to get it...... OH and I leave for Mexico the day it arrives. Go figure !!!! Just ranting sorry
Soon to be Lone Star insulated vertical
pyroman175@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #261
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman175@yahoo View Post
Well as I was heading out of town on Thursday to Show Low AZ for a bbq competition I got a phone call from Amber at LSG. She told me my smoker was done and was shipping out
Well I'm back and today is Monday. Looked at the tracking for my smoker and they took the long way !!!!! Texas to Phoenix over the weekend and now it's scheduled to go to Vegas then to me !!!!!! DAM the shipping company the idiots have to drive through Kingman which is only 30 miles from me on there way to Vegas. Just to turn around and drive 90 miles to deliver it !!!!! I could be seasoning my grill as we speak but NO I have to wait an extra two days because of this. Man I'm depressed but excited to get it...... OH and I leave for Mexico the day it arrives. Go figure !!!! Just ranting sorry
Congrats! You gonna love it. Good luck getting it off the crate and into its new home...You gonna have fun. Make sure to invite friends.

I know the feeling of having to wait. I had to wait a whole week to season it, then another week to cook, due to rain...

Id read Chris's tips and learn from our experiences when you get ready for your first cook, so you dont have a tough time managing temps the first time out...

Enjoy!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #262
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats pyroman! Welcome to the family! Not sure how much attention your Yoder smokers need, but you will love the "set it and forget" style of this smoker. She holds the temps pretty steady for hours.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #263
pyroman175@yahoo
Found some matches.

Whoo hoo it's here.. I'm at work seasoning her as we speak
[IMG]
[IMG]
Soon to be Lone Star insulated vertical
pyroman175@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #264
clweed
Knows what a fatty is.

Congratulations!

Welcome to the club
Epicoa Scheer Rio (Argentine style parrilla)
Twin Eagles Sear Station
clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #265
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default storage - vents open or closed

Got a curious question for the group, and others who have similar type cabinet smokers...

When you are done cooking and the smoker is all cleaned out and covered up and idle...

Do you close all the vents or do you leave all the vents and smoke stack open for ventilation?

The reason I ask, as I read somewhere to store the WSM with the vents open to prevent moisture or mildew buildup after rains or humid weather.

How do guys have the smoker stored when not in use? or does it matter?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #266
mutts&butts
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I store mine inside a enclosed trailer, so I leave the doors and everything open.
mutts&butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #267
pjtexas1
Babbling Farker

Mine is on a covered back porch under a really heavy cover. I leave the intakes and exhaust open. I do the same with all my smokers except the one that does not have a cover and is out in the open. That one only has the drain valve open on the bottom.
Texas Smokemaster offset (gone but never forgotten)
Brinkmann Mini WSM
MasterBuilt Electric
22.5" OTG
Jimmy (jumbo mini)
Thermopop & Thermapen (both red)
HeaterMeter with Roto Damper & blower, Maverick ET-732 (x2)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #268
ggee6688

Mine is in my garage. My neighborhood doesn't allow external huts and we have to conform to standard. She is happy in the garage.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #269
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Got a curious question for the group, and others who have similar type cabinet smokers...

When you are done cooking and the smoker is all cleaned out and covered up and idle...

Do you close all the vents or do you leave all the vents and smoke stack open for ventilation?

The reason I ask, as I read somewhere to store the WSM with the vents open to prevent moisture or mildew buildup after rains or humid weather.

How do guys have the smoker stored when not in use? or does it matter?
Good question. Never really thought about it. I have always closed all my vents and doors after the cooker is clean and dry. Not sure it makes a difference???

Old 05-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #270
darkoozy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
Mine is in my garage. My neighborhood doesn't allow external huts and we have to conform to standard. She is happy in the garage.
Are your vents open?