The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A Different safety issue

How many comps actually address the issues of weather safety. Like what happened in Mt Vernon over the weekend. Luckily the comp was for the most part over when 70-80 mile and hour straight winds decided to crash the party and nobody got hurt. Besides the head for the hills idea does this get covered during the contest. Where to go when something like this hits. What about extreme heat like we had last year in STL. Do you go around and ask if everybody is hydrated with water or Gatorade (TM) The saftey thing made me think!!!!!
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I overdid it heat-wise myself at the GAB. We went into the a/c in the clubhouse for the awards and for about 20 to 30 minutes, I felt like I was going to puke and pass out. It wasn't pretty! It took 2 bottles of gatorade to make me feel just a little better!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

good point, But i thing the logistics of it would be difficult at alot of venues... I guess its assumed...

Every man for himself!!!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Sledneck
Time Out

Endurance is the name of the gamer in any sport.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We let common sense be our guide. As an example, during last years Grill Kings it was hot and my brother who loves his beer, drank Gatorade. Not only do you have to keep from dehydrating, you need to keep your electrolyte levels up. You have to use your head and think about what your doing out there. As ex-boaters we still keep an ear and an eye to the weather. We still carry a radio that recieves NOAA weather radio and we check it from time to time. Lets face it, we are adults and have responsibility for ourselves and our families. A little common sense goes a very long way.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Default Saftey Issue

Your right were all adults and should be able to fend for ourselves. As an organizer I feel the responsibility to keep people aware of potential issues such as tornados and extremes. Chalk it up to 14 years as a paramedic and every shift at least getting advised during the summer to keep hydrated ect. I think it should be mentioned at least at the cooks meeting of what to do where to go if ????? happens. You bring up a great point about electrolytes. We had several people who during Hurricane Rita get water logged. They drank water all day but nothing else. Bought them an IV and a stay at the local ER for about 4 hours
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote