The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

I put on gloves and pull it by hand, takes me about an hour to pull 24 butts. I pull all the fat out and most important I get that lymph node out. That one little node about the size of the end of your thumb can ruin a whole butt. Just smash one and smell it, but be where you can throw up in a hurry. There is no magic alternative to hand pulling if you want the highest quality. We pull ours and then warm it on a flat top.
Thanks, Jeff
Sweetfire BBQ
Jeff Therrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

We use the bear claws & love em. While pulling you can pick out the chunks of fat, veins, little cartilage piece, and occasional fat tumor if ya missed it earlier.

It's a little more work then the drill attachment but worth it.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
smokeymeatsweats
Knows what a fatty is.

Pretty mixed reviews here. If I pull the pork and put in pan with foil over it and place in cambro will it stay warm and most
smokeymeatsweats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

That would depend on how long it takes you to pull. If you plan on serving right after you pull it, toss the foiled pan in the oven to heat it back up.

We foil when we cook and pour the collected juices back into the pulled pork.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #20
BB-Kuhn
Full Fledged Farker

I have the brown plastic bear claws and love them. I like hand-pulling with some hot rubber gloves a bit more, but the claws are fast, easy to clean and really work well.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
If you like shredded pork with the fat remnants still in it, it does this great. Me, I find the results akin to ruining good pulled pork. The bear claw can be effective, but you'd want to remove the fat first, and to me tha's more time than just pulling it by hand.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and pull it by hand; I like to leave the pieces roughly the size of my thumb, give or take, so that they retain the moisture and flavors much better while I remove ALL of the fatty tissue that wasnt cooked off...

FYI: when I cook, I usually cook 6 - 12 9# butts...
I'm with Lake Dog, I use a mair of nitrile gloves and do it by hand, I can feel the fat and discard and I get the size and texture I want to serve my customers. I cook and pull 3-5 case a week

Clint
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #22
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

We initially used "claws", to save our hands from the heat, until we discovered the Nitrile gloves. For us the gloves offer greater dexterity and "feel" for the texture of the meat. We also found that the "claws" actually made our hands sore. YMMV
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #23
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Insulated gloves work the best IMO. Get all the inedible stuff out and better feel for texture. Dont take long at all.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #24
gun smoke
Full Fledged Farker

roman pork puller works great
gun smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #25
Big Johnson
Knows what a fatty is.

All by hand!!! I have claws but I like to make sure I get all the unwanted stuff out. I serve what I wouldn't want to find in my pulled pork sandwich.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #26
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

my hd dept giged me on the plastic claws, too many spaces for the meat to get trapped in..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Roman is Awesome!
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #28
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used to use "bear claws" but I found a similar item made with stainless tines. When the pork bone wiggles, I pull the bone out, cut the remains of the fat cap off, pan and tent to rest in the cambro. When ready to serve I use the stainless claws to break up into large clumps, and pull the larger pieces by hand to remove any undesirable items.

I prefer to serve my pulled pork without any sauce, so I serve long strands of pork in good sized pieces. The larger pieces retain more moisture than smaller shreds and are more flavorful in my opinion.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #29
bwsy2k
On the road to being a farker

I love the Roman Pork Puller. After using it I sift through the meat to get rid of some of the fat pieces left.