Willingham's World Champion Rub'n BBQ Spice

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My cyber-buddy Deguerre was kind enough to send a couple jars of Willingham's rub and a bottle of Willingham's sauce as my Christmas card.

As y'all know, it's been a brutal winter here in Wisconsin. We have been below zero 30% more than it's been above freezing.

That's not an excuse for a winter lover like me. But the combination of cold with crazy high fuel costs coupled with rising prices for meat has put a damper on my winter BBQ and slowed my grilling a little too.

That said, I haven't had a chance to use the Willingham's rub right proper. I used it tonight, but not the way the makers probably intended.

It is the SoDT's 50th birthday today, and tradition around our house is I'll cook whatever you ask for.

She wanted chicken cordon bleu and stir fried bok choy.

So I used some of the Willingham's on the veggies (bok choy, peppers, onions, garlic) cooked in my vintage Weber wok on one of the 22.5" Rat Rods.

Let me tell you, this is a very unique tasting rub and it added a wonderful citrus tang to the veggies. I also sprinkled a little on the chicken. Good there, but it really popped on the veggies. I can't wait to use it on a butt like the Willingham crew probably intended.

Thanks for the rub Guerry! It was like Christmas in March today!

So I just tasted some on my finger, and on top of the citrus, it has dill pickle undertones! Freakin' cool!

Yep, John was a pioneer of putting a little tingle on the tongue via some citric acid in his rub. Won him many championships. His rub is still one of the best. His sweet and sassy sauce is killer too.

Back