extending exhaust tubes on traeger xl, have questions

nateneill

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I put 2 traeger xl's on the front of a trailer, built a roof, and put some other things on it. I'm wanting to extend my smoke stacks up through the top of the roof, which would extend them about 4 feet farther.

I talked to traeger twice about this, one rep told me that it would be fine, just needed to install a damper to prevent back burn into pellet box, the other told me he would not recommend it at all.

I guess I'm asking for a little wisdom that seems to be all over this forum. Has anybody done this, or can anybody give me a little guidance that isn't from some minimum wage company rep that tells you what the company wants them to?

This is my first post, so I guess a proper "howdy" is in order.

Welocme! I don't have any advice for you on your Traegers, but wander on over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself. :thumb:

I would be worried about back burn. What I would do is install a manual switch that controls whether the fan is on or off. So when it comes time to shut your grill down, you turn the dial off to shut off the hopper but the fan keeps blowing. After about ten or fifteen minutes the firepot fire will be totally consumed with no new fuel added. Yoder controllers do this automatically and I believe newer Traegers do also. This switch is a fairly common modification done.

Back