THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pork ribs membrane on or off?

• Get rid of it

Votes: 135 81.3%
  • leave it on

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • depends

Votes: 17 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I've done a few and have one more after this. Ill post conclusions when I'm done.

Do you take the membrane off when cooking ribs? I'm talking in the backyard here.

When I first started cooking ribs I'd take the membrane off and trim them all down to a nice St. Louis style. Now I can't be bothered. I take them out of the cryo, season them, and throw them on the W.S.M. Typically I skewer them because when I cook ribs it's a biiiig thing and there's almost always country style ribs on there and a pot of some sort of beans, so I need the room.
Only one of my sons likes spare ribs, so we get to chow down on three racks all to ourselves. Ohhh yeah.

When I first started cooking ribs I'd take the membrane off and trim them all down to a nice St. Louis style. Now I can't be bothered. I take them out of the cryo, season them, and throw them on the W.S.M. Typically I skewer them because when I cook ribs it's a biiiig thing and there's almost always country style ribs on there and a pot of some sort of beans, so I need the room.
Only one of my sons likes spare ribs, so we get to chow down on three racks all to ourselves. Ohhh yeah.

I do much the same, but what is this skewering thing you speak of?
Dave

I remove the membrane. Everyone I cook for likes the texture better without the membrane. The only time I have seen meat left on the bones is when the membrane is left on. Such a waste!

I never used to remove but once I switched to hot and fast they come out so much better with the membrane on. The membrane protects the ribs from the direct heat and pretty much melts away.

I almost always remove the membrane. I have cooked both ways and prefer the membrane off. That being said, if I was doing a large picnic cook over fire, I might leave it on and cook bone down.

I voted depends, not for my underwear though,LOL. When I do ribs, and I like to do Spareribs, if its frozen, I take it out of cryo, rub it, leaving membrane on, steam it with a 4"deep full size pan, and a 2' deep full size slotted pan for 45 min. to 1 hour, depends, LOL. If its thawed, I remove the membrane, rub it, then smoke it. Depends, but that's just me.

Back