MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

Default brisket left or right

Some people say there is a difference in quality in a brisket cut from the left and right side of the moo, and that one side of the moo is used more than the other, great minds want to know from other great minds, any input?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Who says this, give me a name. Don't make me interrogate you, I have ways.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

I have seen it on here somewhere, it's Ben said that the right side is more tender than the left. And that you should ask your butcher what side the brisket from. Really? How the heck would he know. It's farkin meat. But seriously I'm not kidding. Is this true.?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
smoke ninja

The only time I've ever heard anything like this is on amazingribs.com. meathead Said The theory is based on how cows lay and get up. Most cow lay on the same side and use the same chest muscle to get up. I never check the handedness of my brisket so I don't know. I do know all things left handed are unholy.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

I would hate even to ask my butcher, but I would like to see the look on his face when I ask for the right side, lol epic

Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I think I read said comments here once. If not , it's good info anyway.
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...s_brisket.html

Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
smoke ninja

From that site.

Left-handed briskets?
Tom Hoefer from Allen, Texas, posted this tall tale about a barbecue contest on the net in 2001. It is reprinted here, slightly edited, with his permission. Fact or fiction? Serious or joke? You decide...

A few year back at the Texas State Finals, several of us arrived on Thursday to get in line for the best sites. Thursday night was devoted to serious drinking.

One of the better cooks, Ole Connie Baker of the team "Li'l Pit Of Heaven", was throwing back quite a few of those Mexican beers with a chunk of lime stuck in the neck. Connie had so many of them limeade beers that he was starting to smile with a pucker.

One of us asked him how come his brisket was so tender and always placed in the top three. I thought to myself, boy oh boy, if loose lips sink ships then Ole Connie is going down tonight. All got quiet as he stuffed another lime in a longneck and he said that he "only cooks left-handed briskets".

He explained that most, but not all, steers rest on their left side, which means when they get up they have to push harder with their right legs. At this point about half the bunch mumbled something to the effect of "bull hockey" and went back to different conversations.

A few of us noticed that Ole Connie wasn't smirking. Two or three of us moved closer and I told him "You can't stop there. What does pushing up with their right legs have to do with the left brisket?"

Ole Connie stuffed another lime and told us that when they push up with the right legs it flexes the right brisket muscle more than the left. Therefore the right-handed brisket will be tougher and less marbled than the left. Not always but usually. I asked him "how the heck do you tell a left-handed brisket from the right?"

He stuffed another lime and told me that, with the fat side down, on a left-handed brisket, with the narrow part closest to you, the point will curve to the right.

Saturday awards time rolled around and Connie took First Brisket and Grand Champion over 180 of the best cooks in Texas. I think that I came in 19th with my right-handed brisket.

I just could not get this off my mind. I phoned the kin folk in LaGrange, Texas, and asked if they would check out their herd. Yep, you guessed it. Only three out of 37 consistently rested on their right side. Dangnation, Ole Connie has got it going big time!

I went to five different grocery stores and flexed briskets to see which sides were more limber and more marbled. There are some right-handed briskets that are more limber and marbled than the lefties, but for the most part, the majority of the best are left handed!

Welp, there it is folks. Take it or leave it. As Joe Friday on the 1950s TV show, Dragnet, used to say, "Only the facts ma'am."

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...s_brisket.html

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

please, if anyone can post a photo of the left and right brisket for reference that would be great. i have also heard something to the same effect about pigs and ribs.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess it makes sense, Wow ninja thanks apparently Sam the butcher gonna have to get his game on ....I wonder if it stands true for chicken ? lol

Last edited by Wolverine; 03-02-2014 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
please, if anyone can post a photo of the left and right brisket for reference that would be great. i have also heard something to the same effect about pigs and ribs.
From the paragraph above.

with the fat side down, on a left-handed brisket, with the narrow part closest to you, the point will curve to the right

Right handed?

Left handed?

Not sure if I have that right.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Wampus

I've always tried to figure out which side was which myself, just out of curiosity.

I'll say this: In the last month I've cooked 11 briskets.
When I'm looking for briskets at the store, I always get the "floppy" ones, or the ones that are very flexible and limber in the cryovac. I don't take notice of which side is which, but only look for floppy ones.

I'm guessing on the actual counts, but I have noticed that when I take them out of the cryo at home and trim them, there has been more of the ones like in the 2nd photo (above).

This may mean absolutely nothing. It may just be coincidence that the ones I grabbed were that "side". It MAY also mean that the "floppiness" has nothing to do with tenderness (but I doubt that).

All I know is I always get floppy packers vs stiff ones and of the 11 packers I've brought home at least 8 of those (I think probably 9) were like the ones in the 2nd photo.

No idea if that's "left" or "right" sided though.

YMMV

Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I first heard this from Johnny Trigg in a class that we took several years ago. Ever since then I look at my briskets to see which I have, and there have been many times at competitions that I have had one of each, and I haven't noticed a pattern where the left side brisket is always better. But, I still look

Here is an older thread with some discussion on this and a couple of good pictures.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102398

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #13
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
From the paragraph above.

with the fat side down, on a left-handed brisket, with the narrow part closest to you, the point will curve to the right

Right handed?

Left handed?

Not sure if I have that right.
Any thoughts?

You have these backwards.Top is left hand,bottom is right hand.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow thanks for all the info, really good knowledge,, Now the Question begs, and I know most if not all of you are more experts than I, When you go to your butcher do you look at him and ask for the left or right? or do you choose it yourself, like I want that one? My butcher usuasly only has one under the glass under wrap. BTW you guys and gals are awesome.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
smoke ninja

I don't pay attention to handedness. I'd look at other ques; fat content, marbling, floppyness?, color, the cows name. You know scientific stuff.