The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
ojsmitty
Found some matches.

Default Lining inside my UDS?

I recently bought two 55 gal drums that were used to hold tomato paste. On the inside of the drums is a rusty colored lining of some sort, and I was wondering if this would be an issue. I will attach some pictures of it. Is it something that won't be a big deal as long as I season it, or is it something I should sand off? In one of the pictures I went over a spot a few times with sandpaper and got to bare metal almost instantly. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0517.jpg (33.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0523.jpg (19.8 KB, 172 views)
ojsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I think all linings should be removed to be safe. At higher temperatures they may let off dangerous fumes that get into your food. Most people just burn them off, but you can sand them off if you want to take the time. Burning will also melt off the outside paint, if you wanted to repaint it.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

I would get the liner out, burn, sand, or maybe sandblasted. I had a green liner in 2 on my drums, got them sandblasted for 60$ total inside and out. The rust color ones are tougher to get out I believe, but never had one.

Check out the 2017 Carolina Bash here!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=245703
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
ojsmitty
Found some matches.

So, would burning most likely take the lining off? That would be a lot easier than sanding.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Burn baby burn!
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

My first UDS had this lining. I burned the hell out of that drum and still never got it all out. That was even while using a leaf blower to blow air in the barrel. The next day I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel and I went through 2 wheels and still never got it all off. I gave up. Someone on this forum told me that the fire I had raging in this barrel was way hotter than any fire I would be Qing with and not to worry about it. I seasoned the drum and used it for almost 2 years. Made some damm good Q and I still got it sitting for a backup. Bottom line is as long as you burn the hell out of it......whatever you cannot get out I wouldn't worry about. My 2 cents.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
skimo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm not totally convinced that burning is the best way to remove a liner as I've burned 2 barrels and it barley made a dent.

Angle grinder and wire wheel was my answer with a lot of work and beer lol
skimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
ojsmitty
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
bpainter
Found some matches.

I would remove the liner how knows what chemicals are in it. I checked around town and found a place that sells new unlined drums for $55. I just buy new drums now. I have build 6 UDS's so far.
bpainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

I believe you will get a 50/50 mix of 2 answers.

1) Get rid of it no matter what!
2) If a 12 or 1300 degree fire don't take it out in 3 or 4 hours burn, then low and slow won't hurt.

I had the tan liner in both my drums. I lit them up and kept tossing in logs for HOURS with raging heat and flames and the heat nor flames touched the liner at all. And as well, I burnt up a couple wire wheels only to have my back hurt so bad I stayed in bed for 3 days or so after (I have 3 ruptured discs).

I finally said ,"Ah fark it" and seasoned them and called it good. Now all that said, I have talked to a local company about sandblasting and coating my next one.

So the moral of this story is, this thread could go on for literally PAGES. Take it for what it is worth and make a decision and have fun along the way and enjoy some great que!

UDS | Brinkman Gasser | Big Poppa Drum
| Weber OTS

On Deck: Saving up for a Shirley
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Burn it, grind it, clean it, season it, and eat. That liner is TOUGH to get out... which is why when I make my next drum, I will be buying an unlined one from a fellow brethren!

Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; UDS; Thermapen Mk4; DigiQ DX2; IQ120; CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years); Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

We're (kinda) famous!
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Chop on #2.

My burns tend to flame 2-3 feet higher than the barrel. No paint remains after I am done. Burn it burn it burn it

Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

My UDS also orginally contained Tomato paste and had the same liner, only needed one really hot burn out, and then used a wire brush on a angle grinder to remove the rest. Good luck, and enjoy the build.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
ojsmitty
Found some matches.

Awesome, thanks! Any tips on building a fire to get the hottest?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Put the drum on bricks, make the holes for your intakes. Put in some charcoal, add lit on top, put in good hardwood logs, like oak or hickory. They will burn very hot. Depending on the weather, you may soak the ground a bit around where you do the burnout and you may want to put a metal screen over the top to keep any lit ashes from blowing out and causing a fire elsewhere. Also, do this early in the morning where you can make sure it's safe for most of the day. You'll probably still have hot coals the next morning if you do it right. I did.

Resist the urge to melt glass bottles or aluminum cans.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote