The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

What about a spicewine?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #17
Dweverett
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you'd be quite happy with either from what I hear about the Yoder. I have the Rec Tec -- it's very well made and I've been really happy with it. Great folks to deal with too.

I don't know enough about it to evaluate the manufacturers claims about the benefits of a side vs center burn pit. The Rec Tec holds more pellets -- not a significant benefit in my mind in the summer but with the way things have been this winter where I am it could have been more convenient if I had tried any overnight cooks. It has less headroom than the Yoder. I've cooked a 15lb turkey in it though without any issues so not sure that's a huge benefit to the Yoder for me at least. The extra height probably does help if you are running a second rack.

Probably not the best reason to select one over the other but they do have different looks. My kids thought the bull design was really cool

Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
Guando
Full Fledged Farker

Both are solid units but the Yoder would win out for me. What are your plans for it exactly? Just back yard stuff? Comps? Etc...
Guando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #19
MikeyZ
Got Wood.

Yoder 640, it does it all. Very good cooker & built to last. Get the comp cart.
MikeyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #20
Hoppy
Full Fledged Farker

Yoder without a question. I live and die by a stick burner and I really don't know anything about pellet cookers...But I can tell you from owning a Yoder Chisholm II you would be hard pressed to buy a better built cooker.

[B]If Ya Got'em Smoke'm![/B]

Yoder Custom Chisholm II
Weber Gold
Awesome Wife, Co-Cook and Best Friend
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #21
meinbmw
On the road to being a farker

Default Abso-friggin-lutely

Love mine as well. Pricey unit, but does so many things well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I'm happy with my Memphis Pro for both smoking and grilling.
meinbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Yoder rules the roost in the pellet pooping world. YS640 is great, if you have the extra money get the comp cart. It makes it really easy to wheel around and it looks cool.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
JL Sargent
Found some matches.

Got this Englander about a month ago. Made in the USA. Really been enjoying it. Got a brisket on it for supper tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Englander.jpg (73.4 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by JL Sargent; 03-02-2014 at 11:27 AM..
JL Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
JL Sargent
Found some matches.

I've used the Englander to cook all kinds of stuff but today I've got
Poblano peppers roasting on the left hot side (wife will be stuffing these later today) and plenty of real estate for the brisket on the right. You can see a cast iron grate directly over the heat source for any direct cooking you might want to do. It's a nice setup.

http://englanderstoves.com/pelletgrills.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Englander cooking.jpg (118.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by JL Sargent; 03-02-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #25
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
What about a spicewine?
Spicewine is a great cooker, but the question is about pellet cookers. As far as I know, Jay doesn't make a pellet cooker, does he?

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
Sallenthornton
On the road to being a farker

I would purchase the yoder. Unfortunately I cannot follow my own advice, as I live in Alaska and shipping would be almost the cost of the smoker. Looks like a traeger will be in my future... Sigh
Sallenthornton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Jayson
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesignalsfromtx View Post
Soooo........Yoder, or Rec Tec? And why???
I've not seen Rec Tec (on line only) but have seen Yoder. Yoder looks like a BBQ pit. Seriously they would have to smush 3 or 4 Traegers together to get the mass of one Yoder. I don"t care for the design of the red Rec Tec, the backward looking long horn handles or the red color with the matching red smoke stack cap. I would rather have a pink Traeger pig pit than that red Rec Tech.

No idea how either cooks, which should be the determining factor. But I still don't want a pink or red BBQ pit. I know these comments are not PC.

Jsn
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #28
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Sargent View Post
Got this Englander about a month ago. Made in the USA. Really been enjoying it. Got a brisket on it for supper tonight.
That thing looks like a beaut--enjoy :)

Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #29
JL Sargent
Found some matches.

Thanks bbqgeekess, I have really enjoyed cooking with a pellet smoker vs the charcoal that I've been using for many years. A couple of weeks ago I smoked a 12 lb Boston Butt overnight for my wifes luncheon at work. Started it about 9pm. Filled the hopper with hickory pellets and went to bed. Got up the next morning about 5am and checked my internal meat temp and it was 170ish, right on target. Wrapped it in foil and continued cooking for 2 more hours. After that I kept it good and warm until lunch. Everybody raved over how good it was.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #30
Jayson
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Sargent View Post
I like it. The double doors are really nice!

J
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote