The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have tried several methods and the best way I have found to keep temperature under control is the ring of fire/snake method like everyone else uses. It is hard to control the air so control the fuel instead. Just rotate that lid like Bludawg said. Briquettes definitely seem better for this than lump so I use Stubb's. I would also restrain from removing the lid to peek, it helps keep the air and temp under control and no need to be looking anyways.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
This is how I like to do my pork butts and briskets on my kettle.

I do a layer of 2 coals, layer of 2 coals, layer of 1 coal. I light off 10 coals and this will rock about 300-325 for a good while.

Here was one of my last pork butt cooks on a kettle.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=175327
Thanks, so do you rotate your pork butt at least once during the cook? Because it seems like there would be a lot of direct heat around 3 sides of it and the back side (away from the coals) wouldn't be as well cooked.

Unread 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Well I think I am gonna try my first pork butt cook, using kingsford blue and this ring of fire / fuse / snake burn method. Thanks so much for all the help.

I just need to know if I should rotate the roast 180 degrees at some point during the cook.

Unread 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't think it is going to make a huge difference, but if it looks like one side is getting darker (or if it is temping with a big difference) go for it. I would actually intentionally put the money muscle to the "cold" side and hope it comes out a few degrees lower for slicing. I do my butts that way on purpose in my offset.

Unread 02-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Ok gonna do the pork butt this way, with money muscle on the most indirect side, thanks.

I can already produce very juicy tasty pork butts on my Mini WSM, but I figure it'd be fun to try everything on the kettle, just to say I can do it :P Who knows I might need to make use of the kettle in an emergency as a backup cooker or to augment a large cook (say for a party).

Unread 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #21
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Ok gonna do the pork butt this way, with money muscle on the most indirect side, thanks.

I can already produce very juicy tasty pork butts on my Mini WSM, but I figure it'd be fun to try everything on the kettle, just to say I can do it :P Who knows I might need to make use of the kettle in an emergency as a backup cooker or to augment a large cook (say for a party).
You might be surprised how much heat radiates right of that "cold side" right on to your money muscle. (or you might not!) Just be careful it is not too close to the edge and lid.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Here is a photo of a small butt I cooked.

There is a drip pan in the middle with charcoal ringed around it. At around 9:15 o'clock you can see a piece of brick used as a separator. On top of the drip pan, I put a large pie pan as a diffuser, with a hole in the middle for the juices to pass through. About 15 coals next to the brick, and it burns for a long time. Temp is controlled by using the bottom vents. The picture was taken at around 4 hours.
There were still coals left when I removed the meat.

Unread 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #23
Bludawg

Look at the pics of that Big Booty I posted the only thing you need to roate is the exhaust vent every few hrs

Unread 02-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #24
Moose

Here's a great thread that details quite a few Weber Kettle set-ups for smoking you might find helpful:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=weber+setup
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #25
THoey1963
is one Smokin' Farker

Geekess, I agree the snake or fuse method is the way to go here. Realize that only ten or so pieces of charcoal are lit at any one time. You also don't have to put the butt in the middle of the grill grate. You could put the butt on the grate opposite of the currently lit coals and then rotate the grate when the coals start making their way around towards the butt.

Hope that helps...

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermopen - Maverick ET-733
KCBS member
THoey1963 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #26
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Geekess, I agree the snake or fuse method is the way to go here. Realize that only ten or so pieces of charcoal are lit at any one time. You also don't have to put the butt in the middle of the grill grate. You could put the butt on the grate opposite of the currently lit coals and then rotate the grate when the coals start making their way around towards the butt.

Hope that helps...
Oh, nice idea! Someone said I shouldn't open the lid though.. is it okay to open 4 times, briefly during a 6 hour cook?

Unread 02-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
Zombalini
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I use the smokenator. It works great, but fire bricks on their side should be about the same thing. I can do ribs without adding fuel, but for a butt you will have to add some fuel every now and then. When I approach 200 I pinch the intake back to nearly closed. I can maintain 225 to 275 pretty easy. Top vents 3/4 open because I have a thermometer in one of the holes or I would run wide open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130512_094255_resized.jpg (56.1 KB, 68 views)
Zombalini is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
THoey1963
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Oh, nice idea! Someone said I shouldn't open the lid though.. is it okay to open 4 times, briefly during a 6 hour cook?
Someone with more experience may disagree, but I am pretty sure it will be fine as long as you are ready to do what you need to do and get it closed again as soon as possible. You might seea drop and then spike in temperature, but it should level back out soon.

If you put the butt over the tail (unlit) end of the snake, you might only need to open it once half way through.

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermopen - Maverick ET-733
KCBS member
THoey1963 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #29
HarrynVegas
On the road to being a farker

I'm new here, but I've done about 20 or so butts and picnics on my 1992 Red Performer. I use a home made Smokenator most of the time but I started with fire bricks. Either way I put a water pan on top of the fire and a large drip pan under the meat. Top vent is open about the width of a pencil. Bottom vents are open maybe a quarter of the way. I use Stubs briqs (no lump...too hot) Apple chunks for the first two hours. I usually rotate the meat 90 degrees every couple of hours. Monitor the cooker and meat with the Mav 732. My performer holds at 225 at the grate for about six hours and then I add about twenty unlit coals when the temp starts to drop. I did an 8 lb picnic last Saturday for eleven hours just this way. Don't chase the temps. Let it settle down and if it's too hot close the bottom vents a bit. If it's too cool open them up. I never touch the top vent. Not chasing the temp was the hardest lesson for me when I started smoking. My results have been outstanding. I do St Louis ribs the same way, but a much shorter cook. I used to foil, but not anymore.
HarrynVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #30
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
I have done a lot of larger pieces of meat with the coals banked on one side. It's only necessary to open the lid once around half way through the cook to rotate the meat. If you can grab it with tongs or a gloved hand, it only takes a moment.