喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Knife brand selection

This has been discussed before, but lots of new members with fresh ideas now.

I am gonna treat myself to a new 8" chef's knife for Father's Day.
Someone has to look out for me
Will be used only for "special" prep work and by me only!

Vacillating between Henckels and Wüsthof.
I do not want to venture into obscure brands.
This may grow into a set some day if Karen will just win the lottery for once
Price is always a concern, but "value" and "quality" are paramount.

Lot's of them available on EBay at prices that seem competetive.

Thoughts?????

Second question--"steel" vs "ceramic"???
Have used a "steel" for years.
Differences or advantages to "ceramic".

Thanks,

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've been real happy with my Henkles. I got the set on closeout through Amazon.com. They are the less expensive line(one guy holding a pitchfork instead of 2 guys). But they have the wood handles which I prefer. Go somewhere (local knife shop) so you can hold them. They're both equal in my opinion. Get which you like best in your hand.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
qman
Babbling Farker

Ty is right on--hold them before you buy them. Knives as you know, are very personal choices.
I have both Henkles and Wusthof and like them both. One of my current favorites is the 7 inch [I think] Wusthof Santuko. The granton relief along the edge make it a pleasure to use. It is a light blade, and in my opinion it will not do every thing a "real " chef's knife will.

As far a ceramic? I understand that they break easy. That is a no-go for me, cause I am too clumbsy to work with a breakable knife.

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I was not clear.

"As far a ceramic? I understand that they break easy. That is a no-go for me, cause I am too clumbsy to work with a breakable knife."

I was referring to the "honing" sticks, or whatever folks want to call them

Sorry.

TIM

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
qman
Babbling Farker

Sorry, Kapn. Ceramic honing sticks? Personally, I like them. I used steels for years too, and still do, but the ceramic seems to me to put a finer edge on.

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Jorge

I love steel, and have a drawer full to prove it.

Fro the $, and given my choice, it's Henckels 4 star. It fits in my hand well, holds a good edge. I like the Wusthof, a lot, but the 4 star just feels better in my hand.

There are exceptions. I boutght a Farberware Santoku for under $10 to see how I liked the knife. I've never felt the need to 'upgrade' to a Hanckel. It's not my most used knife and I bought two more to keep one in Austin, DFW, and San Antonio.

When you start looking at quality knives the bottom line is 'use'. You and your personality you will take good care of it. In your shoes I'd go with that was comfortable in my hand, and then look at price. With good steel it's something you will have for a long time.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
I was not clear.

"As far a ceramic? I understand that they break easy. That is a no-go for me, cause I am too clumbsy to work with a breakable knife."

I was referring to the "honing" sticks, or whatever folks want to call them

Sorry.

TIM
Kitchen knives go to a pro and I pay $1-3 per knife every year or so depending on how much I use each knife.

Fighting knives from back in the day when I had illusions of fighting to the death. I do them myself with a mix of ceramic and diamond stones.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
Kitchen knives go to a pro and I pay $1-3 per knife every year or so depending on how much I use each knife.

Fighting knives from back in the day when I had illusions of fighting to the death. I do them myself with a mix of ceramic and diamond stones.
I am with Jorge here. My kitchen knives all go to a pro about once a year for a good sharpening. I keep them sharp by honing frequently--as in every time I use them, essentially. I even hone my steak knives before putting them on the table. [no serrated edges, I hate serrations on steak knives, and no rounded points either.] Sometimes I even break out my grandfather's leather strop and dress the edges with that. [mostly for show, though]

Unread 06-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I got a block set of JA Henkel Twin signature knives for xmas along with a caphalon 6" santoku and a 10" chef knife. left the caphalon chef knife at my mothers because she did not have a good knife when ever i was there doin the cookin. and i just bought a 8" slicer from caphalon for about 30 bucks. very heavy and feel good in my hand. I use steel for honing. but will probably take them to get sharpened bout once a year if i can find a place.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Japanese steel knives can be very hard and either ...

... high maintenance or not. They can be extremely sharp and hold their edges longer. When they do need to be sharpened, you can do it with a few professional waterstones and a bit of practice. The harder they are (Rockwell #'s) the harder they are to sharpen.

Take a look at Kershaw Shun if you do not want to go far away from the mainstream. Their Pro and Classic Series have some nice selections. You can also talk to them on their toll free line and ask some specific application questions. They will sharpen their knives anytime for no charge if you ship them to their plant in Oregon.

Regards,
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

I have an 8" Wusthof and love it. Keeps a great edge, and is perfectly balanced (for me). It goes to Ambosi's twice a year for sharpening.

Unread 06-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Off the subject a little but since there are some posts about sharpening.

I was hunting one year and left my stones, sticks, and steel at home.
One of my buddies showed me a trick that really worked.

Roll down your car window (not all the way down) and you can use
the top edge of the window to hone a nice edge on your knife.

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Tim, I'd agree with the majority here. Go to the local BB&B or other type store and just see which one fits your hand the best. I've got the Henckels that I bought awhile back when the local BB&B store had a special of buying so much and getting a couple things free. I got a combination of the 4star and Pro S series. I think I'm leaning toward the 4star, I just like the handles better I think.
As far as the difference between Steel or ceramic. I think ceramic hones finer but it's more sucseptible to cracking and damage. I've used ceramic sticks to hone some of my pocket knives in the past. I couldn't really tell a difference when cuting anything between a ceramic stick or a steel. I've pretty much been a whetstone man myself.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Egg
... high maintenance or not. They can be extremely sharp and hold their edges longer. When they do need to be sharpened, you can do it with a few professional waterstones and a bit of practice. The harder they are (Rockwell #'s) the harder they are to sharpen.

Take a look at Kershaw Shun if you do not want to go far away from the mainstream. Their Pro and Classic Series have some nice selections. You can also talk to them on their toll free line and ask some specific application questions. They will sharpen their knives anytime for no charge if you ship them to their plant in Oregon.

Regards,
Interesting--I researched them.
WOW--High end quality, High end workmanship, and High end price
May have to pass for now and save my nickels

Thanks!!!

TIM

Unread 06-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Great that you were able to include them in your .....

..... decision process. I actually picked up a couple on eBay at much lower prices, but I'm sure you know that some risk can be involved. I stay with Sellers that have 99+ ratings over a large number of transactions in order to stay out of trouble. Good luck with your final decision!

Later on, there are two very good sources you may want to check now and then. I have found some of their phone-contact people to be very knowledgeable.

japanwoodworker.com AND japanesecutlery.com

The key is to stay close to more traditional Chef knife sizes and shapes until developing a real need for some of their more exotic designs like Deba or Usuba. Santoku is a much safer bet since Henckel and others sell many of this style.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote