The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Foodnetwork confussion

I had to laugh last night, I love foodnetwork, but I think they are totally confussing people who dont know the diffrence between smoking, grilling and BBQ. Last nights girls of the grill bounced back and forth between grilling and smoking and never spoke of the diffrence between the two, its the little things like that the drive me freakin nuts
Anyway just thought I would vent and see if this drives the rest of you nuts as well.

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That actualy brought up a conversation between my son and I. He said that he realy liked my ribs when I started cooking them a few years ago, but thought they were raw because they were red. Didn't want to question it because I was so proud of my effort. After watching this for awhile and they explained the smoke ring he just kind of had a light bulb switch on in his head. We then discussed. Shock to me that he's been eating my food for years and didn't know what a smoke ring was. But yes, in those evening programs, if you don't already know whats going on, they will lose an uninformed person.

Unread 05-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I hear ya! They tend to focus on grilling only except for the occasional show highlighting BBQ competitions. Whenever they do cover low and slow real BBQ, it is either just barely discussed, or altered entirely for someones at-home convenience. I'm at home, and I don't find their shortcuts convenient. I would like to see them spin off a second network that does some REAL cooking, not just 30 minute easy-peasy stuff and how-the-big-guys-make-your-favorite-candy. I'm telling you, it's just like MTV way back. They had something good, and then let the money screw it all up for the people who are the most interested in watching that channel for what it is supposed to be, and instead start catering to the short-attention-spanned morons.

How's that for a rant?
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Those shows are fun to watch , but how much do you really pick up from watching them??

I pick up a few things that I think are interesting and leave the Fru--Fru behind.

I cook country style. Lard, Butter, Cream, ect. and I also cook like my Grandma cooked---" Cook enough incase 10 more people show up for supper. Yes we have left overs but they never go to waste.

I love to cook for alot of people!! We have about 15- 20 people every weekend.

My Wife and I are 1 year away from the " Empty Nest Syndrome " ( There is a God) but we will always have a house full of hungry guests.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I may be in the minority here--but I think Food TV has gotten a lot better in seperating Grilling and what we call "BBQ"

Many times the host says "this needs to be done 'low and slow' on a smoker, but I have only a grill inside here" or words to that effect. Emeril is pretty good about that.

Alton Brown is one of the best about seperating the difference.

As to a dedicated channel--I guess "How to I make 6 to 16 hours of cooking intersting" would have to be the question.

There is a group called "BBQ TV", or something like that, trying to break into the major markets and to be financially viable.
I wish them the best!

FWIW

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

I have to believe with the popularity BBQ is enjoying, a BBQ Cooking channel (or at least a large time block on a regular, weekly basis on The Food Network) on the art of TRUE BBQ would be a success.

Pit builders, Chefs, Comps, Lessons, etc. would certainly be on my "watch list."

My .02 worth anyway.

Ken

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

The ladies featured in the Rose Bowl comp had an amazing smoke ring on that brisket. Almost looked fake.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
As to a dedicated channel--I guess "How to I make 6 to 16 hours of cooking intersting" would have to be the question.
I think this is the real problem with "low & slow tv". You can only show a stick being tossed onto a fading stack of coals so many times. Like wise with how to do a St Louis trim or splitting the flat and point of a brisket.

The truth is, for us a different rub or different wood changes a cook, but wouldn't make for a fresh episode on a cooking show.

I do think shows that try to cover both grilling and BBQ, could do a better job on the BBQ end of things. At least they could dedicate a few shows per season to BBQ. I think the network powers that be, seriously underestimate the # of smokers in backyards across the country and I know they underestimate the passion of the people who cook on them.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2006, 12:44 AM   #9
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
I may be in the minority here--but I think Food TV has gotten a lot better in seperating Grilling and what we call "BBQ"

Many times the host says "this needs to be done 'low and slow' on a smoker, but I have only a grill inside here" or words to that effect. Emeril is pretty good about that.

Alton Brown is one of the best about seperating the difference.

There is a group called "BBQ TV", or something like that, trying to break into the major markets and to be financially viable.
I wish them the best!

FWIW

TIM
I'd have to agree with you Tim. BBQ is a hot commodity now and FoodTV has alot to do with that. One of my neighbors sons works in a local big box store and says smokers are a hot item now. About 2 weeks ago I wanted to heave my old brinkman so I brought it to the curb for pickup the next day. I put it out at 7:00 in the evening and, it was gone before midnight. Que (low and slow) is starting to get the recognition it deserves.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think the Internet is helping promote "low and slow" as well. I got friends aka lurkers on the site as well learning from the Breatheren. They will join probably with a few more cooks.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314