The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
bookie
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cutting Boards

Just got a couple of new knives and was wondering about cutting boards. I've read that plastic is easy to clean but will tear up a blades edge. Bamboo is too hard and the fibers aren't edge friendly. Then I hear Maple is great for knives, but a little harder to keep clean. Knife manufacturers say one thing and board makers say another... which do you use

Thanks
bookie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Real wood at
http://www.johnboos.com/product_grou...=c&grp=JBC0051
or if you want plastic check out
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23751
I use both and like both in different circumstances.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I use plastic with gripper corners for any raw meat. I have a "c" on one side that I use for chicken, and the other side is for any other raw meat.

For any vegetables I have a bamboo cutting board, and I have a maple for cutting/ carving cooked meats. The maple one has a channel all the way around to catch any juices that should run out.

Plastic is the easiest to keep clean for sure, and I have never had any problems with the board dulling my edge. Same thing for bamboo. As long as you stay away from glass you should be OK.

Unread 02-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
lantern
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Real wood at
http://www.johnboos.com/product_grou...=c&grp=JBC0051
or if you want plastic check out
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23751
I use both and like both in different circumstances.

This!

Can't recommend boos boards enough!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Boos boards all day.

Unread 02-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I use plastic for everything right now. Never had any issues with it dulling a edge. I do plan on purchasing a wood board in the near future for cooked meats.

Unread 02-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
BBQ Tim
Got Wood.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50153123/

At $1.99 for 2 pack, not bad price if want a disposable board.
BBQ Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I've used the epicurean for several years now. Wash it in the dishwasher after every use (it gets used daily). Seems like it is gonna last forever.

I also use a white plastic one from walmart that seems fine.. it has a ditch to collect meat juices to keep them from contaminating the counter.

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Oldhoss
On the road to being a farker

Boos boards are the bomb - particularly the end grain ones. A cheaper alternative is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Epicurean-Gour...HBMANNKAHRR3T2

won't dull your knife, dishwaher safe, won't warp ever and the nonporouc surface inhibits the bacteria and whatnot. I have one amongst many boards and it has become my most used.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Shagdog
is one Smokin' Farker

Plastic for meat, maple/hard wood for veggies. Wood will soak up nastiness associated with meat (raw especially, but juice from cooked meats as well) maple is a faster cutting surface, and I prefer it for everything else. Plastic is more sanitary for your meat products. We have a dedicated meat only plastic cutting board in our kitchen.

I have a bunch of stuff that cooks meat outside
using some form of combustion.

*Actual prizes may not be fabulous. It all depends on what your definition of fabulous is. You're not going to win a car or anything, so don't get your hopes up. Just trying to give you realistic expectations.
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
Plastic for meat, maple/hard wood for veggies. Wood will soak up nastiness associated with meat (raw especially, but juice from cooked meats as well) maple is a faster cutting surface, and I prefer it for everything else. Plastic is more sanitary for your meat products. We have a dedicated meat only plastic cutting board in our kitchen.
Not according to testing by food scientists Shaggy.
Wood overall proved the most sanitary choice for meat and everything else.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I use plastic in the restaurant just for ease of use. If you do get plastic, go to a restaurant supply store and buy them there. They are not that expensive. Or check CL, I picked up two 18x24 commercial cutting boards for $10 each. These have the hook on the so you can hang them to dry and cm on one side and inches on the other.

As far as using different boards for different meats, I feel that you are not cleaning you board well enough.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
Shagdog
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Not according to testing by food scientists Shaggy.
Wood overall proved the most sanitary choice for meat and everything else.
I'm not so concerned with bacteria, buckaroo. I have nice wood boards. Blood, aujus, etc, will stain your wood. And typically you don't need a fast surface for cutting meat anyway. If you are using 1 board for everything, you still need to wash between veggie prep and meat prep. I just have 1 board for veggies, 1 board for meat. Less hassle, and my wood boards stay less stained for longer.

I have a bunch of stuff that cooks meat outside
using some form of combustion.

*Actual prizes may not be fabulous. It all depends on what your definition of fabulous is. You're not going to win a car or anything, so don't get your hopes up. Just trying to give you realistic expectations.
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Jack Daniels
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
Blood, aujus, etc, will stain your wood.

and my wood boards stay less stained for longer.
If you're caring for and treating your wood boards correctly you should not have any staining on them at all. I have a 3'x3' wood cutting block that I've done every meat on and have zero staining. That said, as a matter of convenience I do also have other cutting boards I will use as well as disposables depending on the need.
Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #15
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I bought a spray bottle for $1 from the Dollar Tree; filled it half way with water and half with white distilled vinegar.

I spray down my cutting boards after I clean them with this. I also spray down my kitchen counters with this often. It's a good harmless disinfectant.