The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a pic of my cube. 100% welded and free custom colors. Roughly the same size as a Fatboy. The color is a Ferrari blue with red pearl and metallic.

Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #32
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182055

Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #33
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
That's a big budget. I just couldn't make myself spend that kind of money on 1 cooker. If you really want to spend it all I would recommend a Shirley Fabrication offset and an Abe's cabinet. That way you can stick burn when you have the time and the kids are not around or use the set it and forget it cabinet when you are busy or the kids are running around. Both of these guys are great to work with, not that the ones you listed are not but these guys will do anything you need. They also can probably save you some money. The WSM can hold it's own and that has been proven over and over. Not trying to change your mind on builders but just thinking of what I would do if it were me and were in your situation. With an offset and a vertical you won't have that feeling that you should have gotten the "other one".

I like this option as it gives you lots of versatility. I don't have a Shirley fab but I have a custom reverse flow offset by a local builder(cookers by kev) and a pair of abes smokers. I also have a meadow creex BX50 that I am really enjoying but this thing is both big and heavy!
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #34
grill 'em all
Full Fledged Farker

If even remotely considering an offset cooker,you owe it to yourself to give Paul & Tyler a call at Shirley Fab..Paul is a great guy to talk cookers with..Also SFs prices are a bargain compared to other real stickburners out there.

The UDS is one of the best values in all of BBQ & a really incredible all around cooker.
Every home deserves its own UDS IMO..
grill 'em all is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #35
Bludawg

Someone was gonna Say it so it might as well be me.
If you have the time to tend a fire on everycook you do and if your a L&S cooker that can run 24 hrs on some brisket cooks then get the Jambo. IMO the flavor difference and Quality of the end product from an all wood cook is worth the effort.
If you're not that dedicated build a UDS or buy a cabinet and add a Weber 26 OTG to your tool shed. A UDS will hold what ever temp you set it at until it burns out so you don't need no stinkin blower so Mo meat & beer money

Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #36
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Someone was gonna Say it so it might as well be me.
If you have the time to tend a fire on everycook you do and if your a L&S cooker that can run 24 hrs on some brisket cooks then get the Jambo. IMO the flavor difference and Quality of the end product from an all wood cook is worth the effort.
If you're not that dedicated build a UDS or buy a cabinet and add a Weber 26 OTG to your tool shed. A UDS will hold what ever temp you set it at until it burns out so you don't need no stinkin blower so Mo meat & beer money
^^^ I agree with Bludawg. I have a DigiQ and sometimes hook it up to my UDS but it doesn't need it at all. I only hook it up because I bought it prior to the UDS and it's ok for insurance on overnight cooks. I've watched my pit for 8+ hours and never once saw the fan kick on. I also agree with the Jambo assessment. I'm planning to build a stick burner similar to a Jambo next month. If I lived within a drive I wouldn't be building, I would be picking one up from Jamie.

On all the Shirley comments, aren't they booked until June? They have a lot of fans on here but time might be an issue if you're looking to cook this spring. I could be wrong but that's what I read on another thread.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #37
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Backwoods Party G2, about $2700. Cooks everything you'd want to do and you don't need a stand for it. I love mine, great flavor and easy to use.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #38
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

I read that about Shirley too, Driver^^^^^

Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #39
Firefighter
Full Fledged Farker

If your thinking gravity fed look at the Assassin line. I have an Assassin 28 and love it. Easiest thing I've ever cooked on. The superior line is built by the same person that builds the assassin. The Assassin 28 was $3,000 and came with the Digi Q included for that price. A lot of bang for the buck. If you have questions you can pm me.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #40
liv4jpn
Knows what a fatty is.

i vote 4 a ceramic of some variety unless youre doing lots of comps and need to move rig lots

Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #41
EverettBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

I like my gravity feed Rebel 17.
Easy to get going, low maintance.
Cooking some chicken today on her

Thermapen- [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]
BBQ Team - Dixie Boys BBQ
Grill - Weber SUMMIT E-670
KCBS member and CBJ
EverettBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #42
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

who the heck priced a fatboy to you for $ 3,400? Should be more like $ 2,500 delivered to your door. + $300 if you want a guru. $ 2,800 turn key.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #43
16Adams

And do yourself a favor. Check a brother on this site named Phubar and what he cooks with a 70$ Weber GA. The light switch cord just got longer

Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #44
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
who the heck priced a fatboy to you for $ 3,400? Should be more like $ 2,500 delivered to your door. + $300 if you want a guru. $ 2,800 turn key.
The other mods for the $600 is an 8ball of blow and some hookers. But don't tell his wife!
Sublime Smoke UDS
RedBox Smoker
Lay Man Pitmaster IQ 110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #45
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

wow thats a lot of money to spend

if it were me, I would get the $400 WSM and a $400 Ok Joe, if you want a temp controller get that for another $300 or so

leaves you plenty of cheddar for meat.

And you would have an offset and a set and forget.

UDS is a good option too if you want to that route

thats what I would do
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fatboy, Humphreys, Jambo, Super, Superior, WSM 22