MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Reasonalbe priced canopies

I'm looking to buy either 2 10x10 or 1 10x20 canopy to replace my 2 8x8 canopies that are shot.

I'm looking for good but I don't have alot to spend. What does everyone recommend? all the ez up brand ones i see are out of my range.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

We have two of these. They are steel framed.

http://www.ecanopy.com/caca10x10dit.html

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

If you want walls, the E-Z Up Instant Shelter at Sam's is hard to beat at $199. It comes with 4 walls and the hold down plates and is fairly heavy duty with cross bracing.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
SkinEz
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Skinny

what he said ^^^^^ cant beat Sams durability and price. Most bang for the buck...
SkinEz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
I'm looking to buy either 2 10x10 or 1 10x20 canopy to replace my 2 8x8 canopies that are shot.

I'm looking for good but I don't have alot to spend. What does everyone recommend? all the ez up brand ones i see are out of my range.
None of the 10x20's are cheap, plus the 10x20's are pretty heavy. The EZ-Up that Sam's sells is the best value. I still have two that are 6 or 7 years old.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

bought mine last year from overstock.com, 90 ea.

Also wanted to mention I replaced my perfectly fine 10x20 with two 10x10 just so it was easier to manage. 10x20's are bulky and a pain in the arse.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

after thinking about it 2 10x10 canopies would be better than a 10x20.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
If you want walls, the E-Z Up Instant Shelter at Sam's is hard to beat at $199. It comes with 4 walls and the hold down plates and is fairly heavy duty with cross bracing.
Agreed, for the money these can't be beat. The SAMs version is up fitted from the standard 10x10. As for 10x20, unless you are spending a four figure amount for a pro one than I wouldn't bother. The reasonably priced ones will not last.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
msavard
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
after thinking about it 2 10x10 canopies would be better than a 10x20.
Until it rains...Then you have a waterfall right into the middle of your work area ;)

The 10x20 is a bit bulky and DEFINITELY not recommended for 1 man teams, but 2 guys can handle one easily. I've set them up on my own before many times (golf industry demo days). A dolly helps tremendously with moving them about.

However when it rains, there is something to be said for having a full 10x20 of dry/covered space.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavard View Post
Until it rains...Then you have a waterfall right into the middle of your work area ;)

The 10x20 is a bit bulky and DEFINITELY not recommended for 1 man teams, but 2 guys can handle one easily. I've set them up on my own before many times (golf industry demo days). A dolly helps tremendously with moving them about.

However when it rains, there is something to be said for having a full 10x20 of dry/covered space.
that is the exact reason I considered getting a bigger one because of the current issue with water running between my 2 8x8 canopies.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

As far as rainwater when using 2 10x20, a friend of mine uses pvc pipe cut in half w/ bungee type cords to hold the pipe to create a gutter that channels the water to the sides to dump. He also using clips to clip the canopies together after rolling them up a bit before putting the "gutters" in.
I don't know how similar the Sam's ones are but I've had the best luck w/ the EZUp ExpressII from Academy for approx. $100-150 lower price when they're clearing out stock for new summer season as in now would be time to buy at lower price. The biggest thing w/ 2 canopies is that they're straight legged not tilted. From your 8x8, I'd say the legs were tilted so wouldn't fit together well
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Academy usually has the lowest prices on EZ Ups. I got my 12x12 for $99 and it has made it through 3 winters of hunting seasons and 2 summers of smoking and the top is just now starting to dry rot. As much as I use them, I wasn't expecting to get 2 years out of it. I don't know if there are any cheaper than those.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Teamfour has a nifty thing that clips between his tents made out of the same material as the canopy. It catches rain and directs it to the side. Where did you buy that thing lee?
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Teamfour has a nifty thing that clips between his tents made out of the same material as the canopy. It catches rain and directs it to the side. Where did you buy that thing lee?
Not Lee but I made mine out of banner vinyl. EZ-UP Direct sells them but they are over $50
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzillas View Post
He also using clips to clip the canopies together after rolling them up a bit before putting the "gutters" in.
The biggest thing w/ 2 canopies is that they're straight legged not tilted. From your 8x8, I'd say the legs were tilted so wouldn't fit together well
I use 2 10x10s and roll up the material together between the two and clip the material with binder clips. Works great and is super cheap!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->