MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #31
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Westy View Post
I'd be interested - thanks for the recipe.
Okay I'll do this as soon as I get some free time. Gonna be busy getting this 18.5" WSM up and running, seasoned etc..

Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #32
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This is about the recipe I use as well. I typically make up about five pounds worth and then just wrap it all up in some saran wrap and butcher's paper.
I've been throwing the seasoning into some homemade pork stock to make sure it is better incorporated throughout the sausage. Thanks again for that tip, gtr.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #33
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Okay I'll do this as soon as I get some free time. Gonna be busy getting this 18.5" WSM up and running, seasoned etc..
Ok finally got some time to get this together! :) I just made a jar of this and seasoned a couple pounds of freshly ground IBP pork butt with it today. (Hardly made a dent in the mason jar--hehe.) Fried up 1/2 pound in little meatballs. Tastes perfect! By having this jar of seasoning already made up, it made VERY quick work of making the Hot Italian Sausage--literally like 1 minute.

Hot Italian Sausage Seasoning for up to 30 pounds of pork butt
(Note: see OP for the same recipe, but measured in teaspoons for smaller amount, if you want to try this out first. By the way if you don't have a digital scale with 1 gram accuracy, what's stopping you? They are only $12-15 on Amazon.com! They are such a useful time saving tool.)

Okay, here's the recipe for the Hot Italian Sausage Seasoning for up to 30 pounds of pork butt–fits in a single 1 quart sized mason jar:

200 grams [7.05 oz] salt (any dry salt–e.g. kosher, table salt & pickling salt)
23 grams [.81 oz] garlic powder
9 grams [.32 oz] black peppercorns
94 grams [3.32 oz] paprika
90 grams [3.17 oz] fennel seed
38 grams [1.34 oz] crushed red pepper
48 grams [1.69 oz] of star anise

(Grind what needs to be ground, combine in mixing bowl with whisk, then place in mason jar. Shake before each use.)

[Technical Note: 502 grams of seasoning, which serves 13620 grams (30 pounds) of pork butt. 502/13620 = 3.7%.]

So to use this seasoning: just weigh whatever amount of pork to be seasoned and times that value by 3.7% (.037), to get the weight of the seasoning to add.

And as mentioned in the first post in this thread:

“.. multiply the weight of the ground pork by 2.4% to get the number of grams of olive oil to add.”

Note: this recipe is for non-enhanced, non-injected pork butt, such as IBP. (Adjust accordingly.)

Where I purchase the spices affordably:
Just say "NO" to McCormick!

Aldi ($1 for the following) : paprika, garlic powder, crushed red pepper
Local Asian market (large bags of these are cheap) : fennel seed, star anise
Sam's Club: large container of Tone's black peppercorns
Walmart: Morton Kosher Salt

Last edited by bbqgeekess; 05-03-2014 at 07:25 AM..
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #34
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Sounds very good
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote