The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
ghp4aub
Found some matches.

Default Looking for a good, but simple burger recipe

My burgers just aren't consistently good.
ghp4aub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Brew n Que
On the road to being a farker

My go-to burgers are home-ground using sirloin, brisket, and oxtail. If you google "serious eats blue label burger blend", this is the blend I use.
I never work the meat much when I form it into patties. I kind of scoop the ground meat into a patty just until it comes together. This improves the texture and keeps the burger juicy. I typically make 4oz patties.
For seasoning, salt and pepper only. season the outside of the patties only just before cooking. The further you season ahead of time, the more the texture of the burger will resemble that of sausage.
To cook, I like to use a flat top, usually a cast iron griddle or skillet. Get the thing ripping hot and then plop your patties down. Do not press down on the patties after they have started cooking, as you will just squeeze out the juices and make a drier burger. I let mine go until the edges start to turn brown, then flip and cook another couple of minutes. Mine usually come out medium-well, but the method still retains plenty of juice.
As for topping, I like a "secret sauce" type mixture of ketchup, mayo, mustard, and minced pickles, cheddar cheese, plum tomato, green leaf lettuce, and fresh onion.
Brew n Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I shred my Grind meat in to a Bowl apply a good heavy coating of Fiesta Uncle Chris's gourmet Steak seasoning. Black Peppa and about 1 oz to a Lb of worecestershire. Mix it through and form into patties.
What you end up with is a well seasoned in every bite Juicy burger I will add I use 80/20 Chuck-Sirloin the chuck is 80/20 and the mix is 80/2.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
smoke ninja

For us burgers are a special occasion. I try to keep the burger to bun proportion good. Nothing Ruins a burger like an oversized patty. Put lettuce on the bottom bun to keep it dry. Top with what you like, green olives are great on a burger and I don't even like them.

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

I get 80/20 store ground beef, as I do not have a grinder, and make 6oz patties. Weighed on a scale for consistency. Cook on a cast iron griddle to med rare, I sprinkle a little salt & pepper on them while cooking, some hits the griddle too. Adds to the aroma. Cheese on top to melt a bit. Serve on a lightly toasted onion roll with a smear of home-made guacamole, slice of bacon and a runny fried egg. A lettuce leaf if the need for a vegetable overwhelms you and you are off to the races!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
captndan
Babbling Farker

80/20 twice ground that's important. After it hits the grill a mix of 1/3 each soy, water, and teriyaki and a generous dose of ground garlic. Brush one side only.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I have to agree with the guys who use the cast iron skillets or griddles. Burgers on a grill are great but nothing compares to a ripping hot skillet burger.

I do 6oz of either 80/20 ground meat or ground chuck if I am feeling "fancy". I form 6oz meatballs seasoned with salt and pepper. Sometimes I will use a santa maria rub to enhance it.

I get the skillet blazing hot and coated with peanut oil because of its high smoke point. I drop the balls on the skillet and push flat (1/4"). I let them cook about 3 minutes or so per side or until they flip easily. Put on cheese after the flip. Add condiments that you like (for me, its typically ketchup, hot sauce and pickles). Throw on a potato roll and have at it.

Simple and delicious every time.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
ghp4aub
Found some matches.

Thanks!!
ghp4aub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghp4aub View Post
My burgers just aren't consistently good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7jQVKe-u4
[B][COLOR=Green]TailgateJoe.com -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] MCB72 72in grill, MCB48 48in grill, Dual PCB36 36in grills
16x7 v-nose Haulmark cargo trailer with hd directv
[B]If you are looking for the BEST commercial grade gas/propane grills let me know![/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
Kernscookin

Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of A-1 steak sauce and a teaspoon of Rosemary per pound of meat. It's really easy and taste great. My wife insist on using the 97% lean hamburger meat for health and without fat there is no flavor. This helps.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
Fwismoker

I grew up on a little dry onion soup mixed in the ground beef or ground chuck...a little worstershire and maybe a little steak sauce.

If i don't have any onion soup mix on hand i'll at least use some dried onion and and various other spices and again maybe some steak sauce.

The MOST important thing to consistent burgers is just not over cooking them.

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
IlliniQ

Ooohh...burgers. Something this newbie smoker can actually offer some help with!

I use 85/15 ground chuck. I don't have a grinder, so I buy my meat pre-ground from the butcher.

I add nothing but worchestershire (few shakes per pound), fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt. Gently work the worchestershire in, but don't overwork the meat. To make the patties, I grab a handfull of meat and toss it down onto a cutting board, then just gently flatten it into a patty. Season both sides with salt and pepper, and let the patty sit seasoned for at least 10 minutes before grilling.

I grill mine in a 3-3-3-3 pattern (6-6 if you don't care about the "crossed" grill lines)
- 3 minutes on the first side
- 90 degree turn, 3 more minutes on the same side
- Flip
- 3 minutes on the second side
- 90 degree turn, 3 more minutes on the same side

Toast your buns, top with whatever you like (I almost always grill some onions when I grill burgers...)

Comes out perfect every time.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
His burger "weeped"

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
IlliniQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
His burger "weeped"
Did he foil wrap? Or no?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
I have to agree with the guys who use the cast iron skillets or griddles. Burgers on a grill are great but nothing compares to a ripping hot skillet burger.

I do 6oz of either 80/20 ground meat or ground chuck if I am feeling "fancy". I form 6oz meatballs seasoned with salt and pepper. Sometimes I will use a santa maria rub to enhance it.

I get the skillet blazing hot and coated with peanut oil because of its high smoke point. I drop the balls on the skillet and push flat (1/4"). I let them cook about 3 minutes or so per side or until they flip easily. Put on cheese after the flip. Add condiments that you like (for me, its typically ketchup, hot sauce and pickles). Throw on a potato roll and have at it.

Simple and delicious every time.
Exactly how i do my burgers- I make a meatball, and then get a piece of wax paper put the ball on the paper, fold over and use a dinner plate to flatten to desire thickness. I'll also add a bit of season all before I place in the skillet. Cast iron skillet is key.
I also cook until the internal temp is 163 degrees.