The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default gasser conversion

both of my brothers are throwing away their old charbroil gassers, but without the gas units they are nice chambers with alot of grill space and prep space on the sides. i was thinking about trying to convert them to smokers. has anyone had success with this before? any suggestions? also, if i manage to make something workable, can i use that in a competition? thanks.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

The one big drawback to the gas grill cabinet is that its designed with huge gaps to prevent gas buildup in case the burners go out.

As far as using them in a comp, I know of no rules that would prohibit their use, so long as they're fired by charcoal or wood.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

I haven't even looked cross-eyed at a gasser for years, but methinks there might be airflow problems, too. You might have to install an adjustable air intake.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

All of the gassers I've had were cast aluminum. Don't know that that's good or bad. Just thought I'd add to the conversation.

Another thought. You said they had side tables you could use for prep area. Take a pressure washer to the inside then line with something and use that for spice storage or something else. I've got an old horizontal offset Brinkmann that I haven't cooked in for years. It's my storage space for the chimney lighter, starter cubes, coal tongs, gloves and stuff.

Unread 06-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

What is it? I'll make a smoker out of it!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote