The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
usecd
Got Wood.

Default New to site and need help, please.

Hello to all. I'm new here on this site and need some help.

I'm smoking a butt on my BGE as I type. Usually, I don't have any problems but I bought a digiQ and my BGE is running hot. I have the temp set at 225 but its getting up to 255. Why is it running hot? TIA
usecd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not sure you need to run one on a BGE, but since you are, have you tried to adjust the air intake on the fan?
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Not sure, but a huge number of people here cook their pork butts at least 255F.. I see a lot cook it at 275F. So no worries for this cook. I've cooked my pork butt at 300F before and it turned out delicious :)

Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
mcyork28
is one Smokin' Farker

Did you light the fire using the guru? I got a partyQ recently to use on my kamAdo and have had trouble with it running hot as well.
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Yea, thats not too hot. Let it run where it wants too.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I cooked 2 pork butts last week at 375 grate level on my Big Steel Keg. They turned out just fine. Just a lot shorter cook time.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane View Post
I'm not sure you need to run one on a BGE, but since you are, have you tried to adjust the air intake on the fan?
Jlane hit the mark. I have a pit bull from guru which is a 25 cfm (I believe it has the max flow rate of their fans). If I want to run 225 (Which I rarely do) I have to choke it back by about 50%, otherwise the "natural flow" (air flow w/o fan actually running) if it is wide open puts my temp between 250-260. Choke it back and you'll be fine. I will say that my choke slide is very stiff, and occasionally needs a whack to free it up (for what it's worth)

All that being said....cooking a butt at 255 is absolutely fine.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
Jlane hit the mark. I have a pit bull from guru which is a 25 cfm (I believe it has the max flow rate of their fans). If I want to run 225 (Which I rarely do) I have to choke it back by about 50%, otherwise the "natural flow" (air flow w/o fan actually running) if it is wide open puts my temp between 250-260. Choke it back and you'll be fine. I will say that my choke slide is very stiff, and occasionally needs a whack to free it up (for what it's worth)

All that being said....cooking a butt at 255 is absolutely fine.
Yep, what they said!^^^^

Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #9
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by usecd View Post
Hello to all. I'm new here on this site and need some help.

I'm smoking a butt on my BGE as I type. Usually, I don't have any problems but I bought a digiQ and my BGE is running hot. I have the temp set at 225 but its getting up to 255. Why is it running hot? TIA
Brother 255 ain't "running hot" that's running PERFECT!!! Keep it at 255 and let the BBQ gods do their thang!!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, the temp is fine, yes, close the Guru slide halfway... or more. Had the same problem with my Guru/Egg combo the first couple of times I used it.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

How are you measuring this higher temperature? Off the Guru? Dome thermometer? Another electronic thermometer like a Maverick?

Couple things could be wrong. If you used the fan from the cold start chances are it overshot and being an insulated kamado it doesn't cool back down too well. It is best on a kamado style cooker to bring the cooker up to temperature naturally then start using the Guru, this prevents this hard to overcome overshoot. Or as others have mentioned, close the damper on the fan a bit, less than half than fan output will be plenty assuming you have the standard 10cfm Pit Viper fan. If you are using the dome thermometer as a judge, my dome thermometer normally reads higher than my grate level thermometer when cooking indirectly on my BGE. If you are using another digital thermometer to judge this temperature it may be over a hot spot around the edge of the platesettler or the colder thermometer might be too close to the giant piece of relatively cold meat and affecting its reading.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

I have a digiQ with a 10 cfm Pit Viper fan, and I have used it on my BGE a number of times with no problem holding 225 for 15 hours. Make sure you close off the air intake to just around 1/3 open (+ or -), and close the daisy wheel at the dome top (if you have one). You should also cut off any other vents you have left open. This combo has worked on both of my BGE's.

One thing I did find out, that the guru will cause you to use a little more fuel then not using one.
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

usecd? How'd it come out? Very few BBQ pitmasters cook at 225. Butts usually run from 240 up to 300. Me, I like the 250+-10 range for butts, but if cooking with ribs I'll run 'em up around 270-280 and not blink an eye.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote