Sam's Tampa FL, what happens if there isn't 30 teams?

Smokin Mike

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I being from K.C, there isn't ever a problem filling up a Sam's Club event, in fact its hard to get in,,,,, here there is only so far 18 teams, so, do they call it off if it is under 30 teams?

Thanks guys!

Mike

If you look at past years, they move forward with the comp no matter the number of teams. Albuquerque only had 20 teams last year, they still took the top 6 finishers from that comp to the regional.

Good luck!

I think KCBS messed up on the website. They are showing the team list, even though there are only 18 registered. None of the other locations revealed team lists until they were full, I thought that was the policy.

Was last years Tampa Comp a full 30 Teams?

Looks like the 18 Teams are locked in...WooOoO!! Good luck everybody see ya Saturday!!

Region 1 Local Event: Tampa, FL

Date: February 22, 2014
Confirmed Teams:

1. Awesome Q
  2. Swamp Boys
  3. Uncle Kennys BBQ
  4. Barn Goddess BBQ
  5. Rob-a-Que
  6. Smok´d Stoopid
  7. Whiskey Bent BBQ
  8. Bamboo Warrior
  9. Wooley Bully "BBQ Mafia"
  10. Smokin Blue Q
  11. BGE Pit Crew
  12. Bull Rush BBQ
  13. Disco Pigs
  14. Good Buddies BBQ
  15. Southern Bred BBQ
  16. TEAM HOLY HOG
  17. Pig Timers
  18. Rebel Hogz BBQ

A big part of the reason this one didn't fill up is because of an FBA contest happening too. Lots of teams chasing points. Many of them signed up for a later Sam's Club event to avoid the conflict. And the distance to the Regionals (should you make it) is pretty far from central FL with a 12 hour drive each way.

I think KCBS messed up on the website. They are showing the team list, even though there are only 18 registered. None of the other locations revealed team lists until they were full, I thought that was the policy.

I would assume that since the contest is in 4 days, doesn't hurt to post those teams, since the likelihood it'd fill is not good. But I don't understand why they don't list the teams anyway on any of them?

Just did the math on this one. If a team from central FL advances to the finals they will log 58 hours of drive time for the last 2 contests. That's a lot of driving for 2 contests. Kind of weeds out the casual competitor.

Just did the math on this one. If a team from central FL advances to the finals they will log 58 hours of drive time for the last 2 contests. That's a lot of driving for 2 contests. Kind of weeds out the casual competitor.

Seriously, i thought the Regionals location was far, then i realize the finals is even further!

I believe last year they posted the team list when the comp was the following weekend. I think the one we did last year had 28 teams. 18 teams just means a better chance at top 6. Good luck.

With only 18 teams though, your odds of moving on are pretty good!

Just hire a person to drive your stuff. Pretty sure some other Florida team did that last year.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub

What if you are from Washington state?

At least Arkansas is somewhat central to all the states. Imagine if it was held in some crazy place like Vegas? (cough). ;)

What if you are from Washington state?

At least Arkansas is somewhat central to all the states. Imagine if it was held in some crazy place like Vegas? (cough). ;)

We did that last year.. Portland, Or up to Renton/Seattle then to the regional in Vegas the next week...then to the finals in Arkansas... Still trying to recover.

We did that last year.. Portland, Or up to Renton/Seattle then to the regional in Vegas the next week...then to the finals in Arkansas... Still trying to recover.

Apparently the Vegas drive didn't treat you guys too badly? :)

Not sure we'll be going back to the Vegas Regional, even if I qualify. Some STRANGE scores at that comp :rolleyes:

Back