ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 06-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
queball
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Que Joints in Texas

Anyone have recommendations for BBQ joints in or around San Antonio. I will be up there for a week and was hoping to get some good eats.

"If God did'nt want us to eat cows, he would'nt have made them out of meat."
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Many good lists have been posted here.
They are in "Road Trips" section.

I did a search for San Antonio in Road Trips.
Was gonna point you to some.

But, there are a ton of them.

Try an advanced search and get an eyefull

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Anyone have recommendations for BBQ joints in or around San Antonio. I will be up there for a week and was hoping to get some good eats.
There are quite a few "trendy" Q joints in and around San Antonio, including some in the Riverwalk area. But my pick is Rudy's. There are three stores and I like the one on 151 at the Seaworld exit. They are a country store, gas station and pit-barbecue place. Everything is by the pound and carved right in front of you & served on butcher paper with white bread. Sause (Doc's spelling) is on the tables. Tubs of soda and beer are at the end of the line. You can sample before you buy. Brisket, turkey and chopped pork are usually good. Be sure to try a hot link ($2) and the creamed corn is some of the best I have ever had. The sign reads "Worst Barbecue in Texas". Doc Holiday, the owner, who is very visable & friendly if he is in the house, has been featured on The Food Network a couple of years ago, and I hope there have been no changes since my last visit. They do have a website: http://www.rudys.com

If I had to pick a consistant favorite near San Antonio, it would be Granzin's Bar-B-Q, but it is up in New Branunfels.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Rudy's is ok for chain bbq. But you will not be that far from Lockhart or Luling. A little over an hour. I would recommend Lockhart and check out Kreuz(pronouced Krites(long i)) or Smitty's.

Luling has "Luling City Market" bbq http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/

Kreuz - http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml
If go to Kreuz, ask for extra sauce!

Smittys - http://www.smittysmarket.com/aboutus.htm

I have always said, if Rudy's bbq was as good as their sauce, I could quit making my own.
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/taylor.php
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I posted this stuff last week
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18126

Here are some Q joints

My Pick is Texas Pride but it's about a 35 min ride from downtown out in the pasture land of SE San Antonio. Going at lunch time will get you the best Q.

Rudy's BBQ 3 locations - Fair to good

Gradys BBQ 8 locations - Don’t bother

Bill Millers BBQ 100 locations - Well it's better than McDonalds!

Bar-B-Q Patio
8791 Old Pearsall Road, (210) 622-0660 (SW) Meaty spareribs, juicy turkey, lean brisket cut thick and flavorful sausage, all gently smoked, make this outpost worth the drive. (Reviewed 1/10/03) $. Lunch/dinner: Daily. Credit: MV. Casual.

Barbecue Station Restaurant
1610 N.E. Loop 410, (210) 824-9191 (NC); 8683 FM 78, Converse, (210) 662-7700 (OOT) Some of the best sausage in town, not to mention lean brisket, moist pork loin and juicy chicken, all in a converted service station. The self-serve bar has all the pinto beans you want. (Updated 1/28/05) Lunch/dinner: Mon.-Sat. $-$$. Credit: MV. Casual.

Blue Cactus Café
13525 Wetmore Road, (210) 490-7330. (NE) A family place with plenty of barbecue and Texas favorites, including burgers, chicken-fried steak and creamed corn. (Reviewed 4/29/04) Lunch/dinner: Daily. $-$$. Credit: Most major. Casual. Smoking on patio.

County Line BBQ
111 W. Crockett St., (210) 229-1941 (D); Colonnade, 10101 I-10 W., (210) 641-1998 (N) Oversized portions of smoked ribs, sausage and brisket as well as reasonable prices keep customers coming back. (Updated 5/30/03) Lunch/dinner: Daily. $-$$. Credit: All major. Casual.

Harmon's Barbecue
100 S. Main St., Cibolo, (210) 658-8889 (OOT) The meats are all smoked over oak and are as tender as can be. The chicken is especially moist, and the brisket melts on the tongue. (Reviewed 12/3/04) Lunch/dinner: Daily. $. Casual. No smoking.

Jamie D. Bar B-Q
2456 Harry Wurzbach Road, (210) 824-4844 (NC) Ribs are the main the attraction at this haven of smoked meats, which uses fragrant pecan and oak to entice barbecue lovers. (Updated 7/11/03) Lunch/dinner: Mon.-Sat. $-$$. Credit: ADisMV. Casual.

Texas Pride Barbecue
2980 E. Loop 1604 S., Adkins, (210) 649-3730 (OOT) This barbecue joint lives up to its name with ribs, brisket, sausage and chicken earning high marks, as does the peach cobbler. (Updated 10/10/03) Lunch/dinner: Tue.-Sat. $. Credit: All major. Casual.

Willard's Jamaican Jerk Bar-B-Que
726 E. Mistletoe, (210) 736-JERK (5375) (NC) Call ahead for ribs, brisket, chicken or sausage that can be mild or spiced with a fiery Jamaican jerk sauce. (Updated 4/243/04) Takeout: Daily. $. Cash. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18126
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote