The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Default Whole hog size question?

OK, all you whole hog experts, how LONG is a 100-120 pound dressed (head on) whole hog, tail to snout (or "rooter to tooter"). I'm planning ofn a racer style or at least pointing the back legs to the front. The door on my RF is 51" wide. I've cooked a bunch of 65-80 pound hogs and feel I can fit a larger one, but just wanted to check with y'all.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

How long was that 65-80lb hog? My grates on my smoker are 33 wide and 36 deep. Would one of those fit on my grate
TQ 250 deluxe ([COLOR="Red"]gone but not forgotten[/COLOR])
[COLOR="Blue"]"Let me get a Diablo Sandwich and a Dr Pepper. Make it fast I'm in a gosh dang hurry"[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]IMBAS[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]Certified[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]MOINK[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]Baller[/COLOR]
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
skywalker
Got Wood.

Building a RF 500 gallon,big door is 44 wide.Was curious what size (LBS.) would fit with head on racer cook?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqwilly View Post
How long was that 65-80lb hog? My grates on my smoker are 33 wide and 36 deep. Would one of those fit on my grate
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
Building a RF 500 gallon,big door is 44 wide.Was curious what size (LBS.) would fit with head on racer cook?
These are shots of a custom rack I built for my RF smoker, it is 34-1/2 long. I made it specifically to fit in a 128 quart Igloo boat cooler so I could take the hog to a luncheon, but I've got another 16-17 inches to work with and I'm hoping to get a 100#-120" hog in there.

Here is a link to the entire cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=168127

Willy, I'm thinking you can probably cook at least 2 +80# hogs with the head on in your monster

Skywalker, I'm thinking you could easily go for a 100#'r with the head on.

Last edited by dwfisk; 02-15-2014 at 08:46 AM..
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
skywalker
Got Wood.

Nice pics!Also ,might as well mention i like your list of home builts.Been working on mine for almost a year, getting real close.Just looking ahead for the finish line (reward).Will follow link you posted,to much snow and cold to drag the little Lincoln 225 out today.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Bumpity bump bump bump

Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
canoe
Knows what a fatty is.

Every year we do a 120 to 130 pound hog. We smoke em skin side down/split down the spine with the head on and they fit into the opening a Lang 84. Hope that helps.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->