oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket Aging for Comp

I plan on competing in a comp April 4-5. What is the earliest you would buy a brisket so it would age and not have to be frozen?

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

First week of March.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I plan on competing in a comp April 4-5. What is the earliest you would buy a brisket so it would age and not have to be frozen?
You should probably know the kill date of said brisket. The likelihood of showing up at your comp and finding a rotten piece of meat is much higher without it. Most age from 30-40 days. Count backwards.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I've never worried about aging a brisket. I just buy a good chunk of meat, and flavor the beejesus out of the inside and outside...
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
TropicDad
On the road to being a farker

At the Lang cooking class chef Paul Kirk said he ages brisket 30 days from date of purchase.
TropicDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

+1 on not finding aging to be critical.

Additionally, how well that brisket ages is going to be wildly variable subject to where you are holding it. We have an outdoor fridge that is opened only rarely, and we have found that it will hold meat for a ridiculous length of time -- but unless you've got a tightly controlled temp, your results will vary.

700 Club, Grand Champion Sam's Regional Las Vegas 2015 -- 702.8576
180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
lazyjacres
Take a breath!

February 12th.......... I un-package and prep meat on Thursday.
Gateway Drum Smoker
Certified BBQ Judge
Contest Organizer
KCBS Contest Rep
lazyjacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

If you all are in aging meat for whatever reason, I'd suggest buying a Johnson Control refrigerator controller. (used primarily for beer making).. you can program the tolerances in it. you plug your fridge into it, and it into the wall. it sends power to your fridge when needed.. kind of a guru for your fridge. When I was using a dry bag product for dry aging whole strips/ribeyes in the fridge, I'd set this thing to turn on at 38 and shut off at 34.. worked perfectly. Only used it for a fridge that holds nothing but meat.

Now, I use that controller for a deep freeze I have in my comp trailer. What I like about using a deep freeze instead of a refridgerator, is because it has an obvious low center of gravity, a lot better insulation, and when you open the door, the cold air stays low, and doesn't "fall out" like in the fridge. It will also hold temp for at least 6 hours without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contro...+controls+a419
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
If you all are in aging meat for whatever reason, I'd suggest buying a Johnson Control refrigerator controller. (used primarily for beer making).. you can program the tolerances in it. you plug your fridge into it, and it into the wall. it sends power to your fridge when needed.. kind of a guru for your fridge. When I was using a dry bag product for dry aging whole strips/ribeyes in the fridge, I'd set this thing to turn on at 38 and shut off at 34.. worked perfectly. Only used it for a fridge that holds nothing but meat.

Now, I use that controller for a deep freeze I have in my comp trailer. What I like about using a deep freeze instead of a refridgerator, is because it has an obvious low center of gravity, a lot better insulation, and when you open the door, the cold air stays low, and doesn't "fall out" like in the fridge. It will also hold temp for at least 6 hours without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contro...+controls+a419
I just bought one of those to turn a fridge into a curing cabinet for salumi. I need the fridge to run around 50.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

I have a basement fridge/freezer combo that ends up being an overflow beer and brisket aging fridge. I was always nervous as I never knew how the temps fluctuated or where they were set at so I picked up one of these
http://thermoworks.com/products/alarm/rt8100.html

very awesome! I understand now why you dont want to have anything in an defrosting freezer. it will be 4 degrees for a few days and then 38

Im very suprised at how consistant my fridge section is though. It will log a min-max reading for I dont know how long but whenever I check it, my fridge only moves +-1.5 degree tops if unopened. pretty cool I say. 26.99 to the door.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I age for 35 days. Getting the kill date is important. I could give my meat shop a date that I was needing and they would watch for it. Once it came in they would call me and the aging began. Now I buy my briskets in advance for the whole year, freeze them and then age.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

I must confess, I have never aged a brisket.

Jambo J5 "The Dream Maker"
Old Hickory ACE BP
Gateway "Insane" Can
3x FEC100's
Cookshack Charbroiler
Lagre Big Green Egg
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #13
SkinEz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82's BBQ View Post
I age for 35 days. Getting the kill date is important. I could give my meat shop a date that I was needing and they would watch for it. Once it came in they would call me and the aging began. Now I buy my briskets in advance for the whole year, freeze them and then age.
So when you pull a brisket out of the freezer when do you start counting for the age? After it is completely thawed, or first day out of freezer?

Colossians 3:23-24

[URL="http://www.skinezmountainbbq.com"]http://www.skinezmountainbbq.com[/URL]
SkinEz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinEz View Post
So when you pull a brisket out of the freezer when do you start counting for the age? After it is completely thawed, or first day out of freezer?
I start counting the day it comes out of the freezer. These last briskets I got had a date of 7 days before I got them. I'll then add another 28 days to them and that typically puts me in the middle of the 30-40 days. This method has done me pretty well, no unwanted spoilage and a noticeable change in texture prior to cooking.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

42 to 49 days from kill date. Without kill date you could be buying a brisket that's already aged 28 days. You also need to know bubble sizes. Try searching here on aging briskets. Lots of great info.