Pitbulls Up In Smoke Video Classes??? Or Kosmos???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Can't find out much detail on these in regards to how advanced they are, and only a couple short threads on here.

Anybody taken these? If so how did you like it? my biggest concern is dropping the money on either one of them only to find out that I already knew most of the content.

Thanks.

I thought Kosmos was solid. Some new techniques I hadn't tried and the flavors are obviously his product. Pretty in depth for the process he uses. There were a few tweaks I got from it that made me glad I watched them.

I Watched both courses, and I think they are both worth while in their own way. My main complaint with Cosmo's is that he didn't really get into a timeline of cooking. He just sort of glossed over how long he was cooking things. With the pit bulls videos, my main complaint with those is the strange editing. There was weird cuts in the video, and weird musical interludes. However, the way that he cooks his chicken is pretty much the exact way I've been cooking my chicken the last several contests.

The pit bulls class is on sale until Friday for $150, which is a steal in my opinion. And if you wanted the cosmos DVDs I would wait Until someone sells them used rather than paying full price.

I've watched both of them. Both had good and somewhat different things to offer. If you have no competition experience I would say Pit Bulls. If you are looking to refine some skills and already know the basics of competition, I would say Kosmos. Like Jason said, Kosmos had some techniques and flavors that I hadn't seen before, and I've really come to like some of his products. Recently I think Pit Bulls had his class on sale for $150, which is a steal.

As I was just starting in competition bbq when I ordered these both offered me really good things. Pit Bulls provides a lot of written materials, like spread sheets with times and temperatures, which is a really good start. Kosmos showed me some trimming techniques and box building tricks that have proven valuable.

Both guys are really good at answering emails/questions. Best case scenario, if you can pull it off, buy a used Kosmos from a brethren member in the sales section of this forum, and try to catch Pit Bulls on one of their sales. If you follow him on facebook, I think they post them often.

Pitbull's was worth my money, plus if he does any updates they are free for life

Not saying the material for Pit Bulls Up in Smoke online class is not worth $150 just want to get it out there from what I've read Pit Bulls aka Danny Coogle did not compete but a few times early last year and was on BBQ Pitmasters. He also got the Jack Draw for 2013 but did not go. It looks like nothing has been updated since August 2012 in the articles or class material for the online school. Danny moved to Hawaii early 2013 and opened up a restaurant; his (former) wife stayed in Georgia. They have a webstore as well, but it seems to be out of stock on almost everything. Their Mean Green injector has been out of stock since last summer with a note stating it will be in stock in September.

So if you sign up for the online class don't expect to see any updates. Hope I'm wrong.

check out bbqcoach.com I believe it is, Bill from Chatham Artillery runs that and it is a pretty good source. I know it helped us out a bit.

Pitbulls was great for us as new cooks and our scores improved drastically from contest one to contest two after using the videos. The editing and background comments are almost comical at times, but in terms of giving you a full bore competition timeline with all the details it is there. I wouldn't expect any updates but I hear Danny is still accessible via email.

Kosmos offered some more advanced tweaks/techniques and in-depth flavor profiles, but it is lacking in the details in relation to a timeline. Part of this is that we are all using different cookers and they all cook differently and will require some tweaking from our perspectives, but I think a baseline would have been a nice addition. Picked up some invaluable nuggets here as well, but we are still only seven contests into this thing.

A guy I cooked next to in Lakeland this year said that Chatham's material is basically a remix of Myron's class with some different flavors. Can anyone speak to this?

I am a subscriber to a Bill Andersons BBQ coach. I had already been to Myron's class in early 2010. I assist with Myron's classes now. I subscribed before I started cooking on the team. (I am also one of Pit Bulls subscribers.)
All of that said, some of Bill's stuff is what he picked up at Myron's class. The best thing about BBQ coach is it's just that. You ask Bill questions on his forum and he will personally respond. I had always cooked hot and fast. When I got my Jambo, my wife wanted to cook Amelia Island 2012 on our own. Bill helped with my timelines and answered all my questions. Our first couples comp and we were 5th overall and 5th in ribs.
It cost more for a "real class" but the experience is priceless.

Here is what would make me nervous about the Pit Bulls route... You get nothing. As far as I can tell it is all web based. If I am incorrect please let me know. What if he is no longer able to host the videos? What if he just decides it is too expensive to continue to host the videos and shuts it down? Perhaps if it were downloadable content that you could then own...and if there was actually some updates of value based on current contest results.

Here is what would make me nervous about the Pit Bulls route... You get nothing. As far as I can tell it is all web based. If I am incorrect please let me know. What if he is no longer able to host the videos? What if he just decides it is too expensive to continue to host the videos and shuts it down? Perhaps if it were downloadable content that you could then own...and if there was actually some updates of value based on current contest results.

I'm fairly certain that Danny doesn't compete much anymore, he's moved to Hawaii and opened a restaurant there. I'll have to check, but you could probably pretty easily download the videos to watch without having to log in as well.

I'm fairly certain that Danny doesn't compete much anymore, he's moved to Hawaii and opened a restaurant there. I'll have to check, but you could probably pretty easily download the videos to watch without having to log in as well.

Yes, at least in Chrome all you have to do to download the videos is start the video playing, right click, and choose "save video as..."

How would you do that?

Back