Pastrami, Home cured & smoked (First Time) w/ Photo

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Or should I say Fauxstrami? Clodstrami?

I used beef clod instead of brisket because that is what I had on hand (bought 45 pounds of it on Sprouts $1.99/lb sale).

29gjv9y.jpg

Cured this exactly the same way as I did my Buckboard Bacon in the following thread (using YetiDave's Curing Rub) :

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180166

But in addition to that, I added a good amount of freshly ground black pepper and freshly ground coriander seed (1.5 parts coriander seed, 1 part black pepper). I added this to the zip lock bag when I cured it (along with YetiDave's curing rub) and also added it after it was cured, rinsed & dried. It sat in the fridge for 2 days forming a nice spicy crusty pellicle, before I smoked it.

Smoked it at about 300F to 170F internal temp. Then wrapped it in foil and baked in my little Breville oven, at 280F, until an internal temp of 185F. let it rest an hour or so then sliced it for the photo. The remainder is refrigerated for slicing tomorrow on the meat slicer for Pastrami sandwiches on Homemade Sourdough (stay tuned for that thread with pron).

It is delicious and I can't wait to make a "Pastrami Reuben" tomorrow with it for boyfriend and I. :)

That is a great looking hunk of pastrami goodness right there. Haven't seen anything that good in a while. I'm inspired. How much did that roast weigh?

That is a great looking hunk of pastrami goodness right there. Haven't seen anything that good in a while. I'm inspired. How much did that roast weigh?

I want to try it with the proper brisket next :) I'll be buying a couple packers soon, one for pastrami and one to bbq. (By the way, I've never BBQ'd a full packer yet and I am going to attempt my first one in my Mini WSM -- yep you heard that right a full packer in Mini WSM lol!)

That looks FANTASTIC!!! Now when you make your reubens break out the marbled rye...just looks cool ;)

Looks awesome. I want to try to cure my own someday.

Have you cured any meats before? What all have you cured? I've only done buckboard bacon, clod pastrami and some andouille sausages. I am loving Charcuterie!

That looks FANTASTIC!!! Now when you make your reubens break out the marbled rye...just looks cool ;)

That looks tasty! I do love that marbled rye.. looks really neat :)

But for tomorrow's pastrami sammich I am going to use homemade white sourdough bread that I made today -- tastes incredibly good. So while my sandwich will not be exactly a Reuben (different meat and different bread), it will have the homemade Russian dressing, saurkraut (imported from Germany--Aldi special) and swiss cheese :)

Oh yea....Gotta make your own dressing. :) I think i used that same kraut too on that sammie..lol

You can pretty much make pastrami out of any meat. Clod otta be great though I have never tried it. However, IMO, the fattier meats, like a brisket point make unbelievably great pastramis. Beef rounds and other lean cuts are great for corned beef because they will usually be boiled. But if you want Pastrami, the Brisket point is about as good as you can get! :)

Here is the pastrami roast uncut, along with the uncut homemade sourdough boule -- gonna make a NICE sandwich tomorrow with these !

e8wf44.jpg

Here is the bread run through the meat slicer:

20hrckh.jpg

Last edited:
Back