oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
NNYAJ
Found some matches.

Default Looking to Take ServSafe course

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to do some catering and competitions this summer so I think it would be best for me to take a ServSafe course or one like it. Are the ServSafe courses the best option or are there any others I should look at?
NNYAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

I believe ServSafe is the most popular, but I don't think a food handler's license is required for any competitions.

If you plan on catering you absolutely must have insurance, a business license, and you must comply with local health department regulations. You should check with your local health department as to the requirements for your specific locality. Every state is different, even many counties within a state are different.

In northern VA, you must have a food handler's license, which you get by passing a Servsafe exam. You also must submit to regular inspections by the county health department.

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x2), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

It's a great class that will make you very aware and I would recommend it to anyone who works with food.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
mikerobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
It's a great class that will make you very aware and I would recommend it to anyone who works with food.
I agree, my wife and I just took it. It really opens your eyes to the real dangers of food handling if done wrong .

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker
Southern Q 500 Water Cooker

Sometimes It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

I like to sit down and have a quiet beer, then several noisy ones
mikerobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
SigSauerNY

Also check with your local HD sometimes they give a county class which is similar.

Also when I graduated culinary school servsafe was not honored by NYC which doesnt recognize anything but NYC but thats a whole nother discussion.
SigSauerNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Bootheel
Found some matches.

I started catering four years ago and as someone not originally from the F&B world I knew very little so I really tried to locate the best training/test prep available. I found the ServSafe online course and found it very informative and helpful. I was more than adequately prepared for the test which I found to be easy (first time for everything!)

Also I agree with the points that Stephen made...I also live in Northern VA and actually found the health department very open and willing to give me the info I needed. Which really surprised me b/c I expected something more like the DMV! I've never heard of a certification needed for any comps unless you're giving samples to the public.

One simple thing to remember about food safety, wash your hands...a lot!

Hope this helps.

David
Bootheel BBQ
Bootheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

after reading this, I just did the free sample Servsafe course on hand washing

very interesting.

I am going to buy the whole course, its not much money. Would be good to know just for my own home use
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
http://www.gofundme.com/Michigan-CustomQue-Donate please consider a small donation to help us pay for our charity BBQ efforts for veterans and homeless groups!!!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
NNYAJ
Found some matches.

Thanks everyone! Ya I want to take it to learn more about FS for the future in case I do end up trying the catering route.
NNYAJ is offline   Reply With Quote