NY Comp Recommendations

triplezip

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Breth,

Just started competing last year -- Came in middle-of-the-pack at Sam's in Medford, and now we're looking for some new (KCBS / NEBS / MABA sanctioned) comps in the general eastern NY area, preferably ones with a little more festive vibe in terms of music, featured events, some fun stuff for the kids, etc. We'd like to stay reasonably close to the LI area for one more season, so we're looking at the Hudson Valley Ribfest, Troy Pig Out, NYC BBQ Cookoff and of course the Battle of the Brethren as possibilities. If anyone has any opinion about these or other relatively nearby comps in terms of the general atmosphere, how well organized they are for the teams, etc, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Lake Michigan Placid. WO t fi d a better organizer than Dmitry.

Queforthetroops.com

A little south of you in Pennsylvania but right off of the turnpike

All the ones listed are great contests, there are several in NJ as well - NJBBQ Championship Wildwood in July- though that's a tough one to get into- check their website, Seaside Hgts in Sept (though I haven't attended) & REd White & Que Cresskill NJ-was Sept last yr- this will be their 2nd yr- they haven't selected a date yet. Also several in CT- a 1st yr contest in May. Good Luck.

I like Hudson Valley Ribfest. One of my favorites. Que for the Troops in PA is a good one as mentioned. It is a nice site and not as far as you think from Long Island. I did Troy Pig out and where you set up is a dump. With that being said, the park around it is very nice. And they do have great bands.

Roc City is a good drive for you, but a great event. Ridgefield CT's Gone Country event is brand new, no idea how that will be, but looks like it might be a good one. Hudson Valley Ribfest is a great family event - large contest, lots going on, probably what you are looking for. Troy is also good, not as large as Hudson Valley. The highlight at Troy is the people's choice for ribs - line up early for tickets, they sell out.

Sam's Club is a heads down competition - the least festive event you could enter. Even the teams don't play music at that one, they are there to compete.

Hudson Valley is great and sounds like just what you are looking for, of course Roc City is pretty cool too, if your up for the drive...

Back