喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How to make a Weber lid fit a larger UDS?

I know there are probably plenty of posts in the UDS thread about this, but the last time I read through that entire thread it was a LOT shorter.

Adding a Weber lid to my drum to allow for more headroom - I really like doing beer can chicken, and I just don't have the room in my drum right now.

But my drum is slightly larger than most - the Weber kettle lids are about 1/2" too small in diameter and won't fit over my drum head.

I know there are ways to mod the top of the drum to make it smaller in situations like this. Help?

(I hope the answer isn't "get a different drum" - I've really come to like her and how she cooks, and just want to add a lid)
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

If I'm not mistaken most people take the top couple of inches off the bottom half of the weber and cut it off and weld that to the drum and then the lids fits on that.
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can use a grinder to reduce the size of the lip or even cut it off.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
moonpie
Got Wood.

I took a piece of 6' x 1" x 1/8" flat steel that I bought at TSC, and with my 5lb sledge, persuaded it into a circle shape and installed it on the inside of the top lip, using some self tapping screws to hold it on , ground down the screws on the outside, threw some JB weld on to seal the gap and my lid fit just fine without doing any tuning to the lid itself.
moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
colonel00

Oh yeah, as moonpie mentioned "tuning the lid" you can use a hammer and flatten the lip of the weber lid. I have done this before as well. I just put it on the garage floor and went around pounding it flat. Make sure to wear safety glasses if you do this as the porcelain chips. Then you put the lid on the barrel and hammer the lid around to fit the barrel lip.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm no welder nor have to ability to cut sheet metal. I used pliers to straighten the lip of the weber lid, then placed it over the drum and used a rubber mallet to hammer the lip to the contours of drum. Its not perfect so I also used the drum clamp along with a regular c-clamp to hold it tight while cooking. I'll attach a picture...

14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscrat View Post
If I'm not mistaken most people take the top couple of inches off the bottom half of the weber and cut it off and weld that to the drum and then the lids fits on that.
Why didn't I think of that?

This would be my preferred way of doing things. I just wish I had a welder. If only my brother-in-law lived closer . . .

Thanks all for the recommendations.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen

Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're just looking for headspace why not just add a second grate lower inside the drum? I know the rule of thumb is 24" from the fire but if you add a diffuser it would be fine. EBCs/WSMs have the meat close to the fire but the water pan deflects the heat. All you would need is new grate and a few bolts.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
If you're just looking for headspace why not just add a second grate lower inside the drum?
That's another possibility. I've been experimenting with a pizza pan diffuser that has seemed to work pretty well. I admit that I'm reluctant to go against the conventional UDS wisdom and put another grate that close to the charcoal box. But I'll definitely think about this.

I think I've also convinced myself that I really want a kettle top, and I have this in my head. But your idea would be less work, and there are plenty of UDS owners who swear by the double rack idea. I suppose when you want to cook something tall you just use the bottom rack and leave the top rack out of the cooker?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

my doesn't fit. I bought a used weber and banged the heck out of hte lid and still couldn't get it to fit.

What I did when I needed the head room was wrap the top of hte drum in tin foil (half the tin foil on hte drum and the other half sticking up past the top) and then put the lid on over the tin foil. Seemed to work fine.

Not a good fix for constant smokes, but the occasional one it'll work
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure if this helps or not but have you tryed flipping the drum over when building one? There isn't a lip on the bottom like there is on the top....At least on most drums anyways. Cutting the top 2 inches or so off the weber and placing it inside your drum smoker with some gasket around it is a good fix also. good luck

Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
BC2_BBQ
Got Wood.

I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.
BC2_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
dadsr4

From this thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=139064

Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2_BBQ View Post
I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.
What price range is he talking?
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Oh yeah, as moonpie mentioned "tuning the lid" you can use a hammer and flatten the lip of the weber lid. I have done this before as well. I just put it on the garage floor and went around pounding it flat. Make sure to wear safety glasses if you do this as the porcelain chips. Then you put the lid on the barrel and hammer the lid around to fit the barrel lip.
That's what I did with mine. It worked out pretty well.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote