The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
OakmanNZ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Char-Griller BBQ

Hey All,

I just bought a Char-Griller BBQ in New Zealand (where I live) and have discovered a whole new way of BBQing. I have been a long time watcher of these forums picking up tips for my propane smoker and my Bradley Smoker but have only recently (idiot, should have done this sooner) discovered the wonders of charcoal grilling.

The Char-griller is the only type of Texas style BBQ we can get in NZ and it is only recently available. Everybody here cooks with propane and ruins their meats (which is what got me into smokers as I HATE propane BBQ).

I assembled this bbq and I now have a new love. I fear I am BBQing far too often now and in the last 2 months I have averaged about 4 BBQ's per week for dinner. I am addicted. Spit roast works excellent on this too as you can raise or lower the coals to adjust the direct heat.

So now I am pretty happy that I will be able to , finally, try out a huge chunk of stuff from this site.

Has anyone got one of these and had any tips? I have already removed the warming rack as it took up too much room and have changed the wheel on it as they were pretty flimsy.

Very excited. Here is a photo of some New Zealand Lamb Leg Ends with my own rub.

Last edited by OakmanNZ; 02-01-2014 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: added extra photos
OakmanNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

That lamb looks damn good!!

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
jeffry1970
On the road to being a farker

Congrats on your new grill.
Char griller is a great value in my opinion. I have used a few of them and right now have the outlaw. It's pretty easy to use and very versatile.
jeffry1970 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
OakmanNZ

I agree. I have found it very user friendly and it maintains the heat really well. I like the fact that it can raise or lower the coals and get that heat pumping or have it as a more indirect roasting heat. The chimney makes it look very American. Not anything you could get over here normally and I love it. I also like that the three grills are easily removable and only $20 to replace is one gets damaged.

From new it did need a lot of tightening of the nuts and bolts but this settled down after about 4 or 5 uses. A lot of manufacturing grease came out on the first 2 grills too so I pretty much just cured the BBQ the first grill and then fired it up again to removed the remainder of the grease.

Very happy with it and it only cost under $240 NZD (under $200 USD)

Unread 02-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
smoke ninja
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like you're making do with what you have, very ninja like. Lamb is so expensive here (sometime 10-15 $ lbs). Coals are off too one side, nice. Try using a basket to help control burn if you do longer cooks. If you seal her up enough with a lid gasket you should be able to use fuse/minion method. Others know more than me. Enjoy.

Unread 02-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
jeffry1970
On the road to being a farker

Also the cast iron grates are a nice touch and yours look really well seasoned.
Like you said parts are cheap and easy to get
jeffry1970 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
OakmanNZ

Thanks. I have found that if I put the coals on the right the air gets sucked in and dragged across the coals to the left where it exits the chimney. Gets it really hot. If I want it cooler I put the coals on the left. I don't know the science behind it. Was just experimenting and works.

I thought about the gasket seal. I also thought about engine enamel for the outside. I do not have the smoker attachment for this BBQ as I am a fan of the Bradley. That's what I make my Maple cured hickory/maple smoked bacon in.

Sluuurrrrp

Unread 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
smoke ninja
is One Chatty Farker

You can smoke with that. If it's tight enough you can maintain 250-300. Just search for kettle set up for smoking. Should work fine.

Unread 02-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats and welcome to the world of Q!
RT is offline   Reply With Quote