MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Default Trying to figure out a procedure to hold 135 degree beef for vending

Would like to do a nice steak sandwich. I am considering various cuts, but I have some equipment concerns. I was thinking a cambro with electric heater would be ideal, then I got concerned about the temp range of 150-165, thinking it would overcook.

I know alto shaams can be set right to 135, but they are heavier and a lot more expensive.

My initial plan was to use the cambro with Teres Major roasts, but I am concerned with the higher heat and the small shape of that cut, it will overcook fast. Thoughts?
Fooskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

yep you will over cook.....what I do for serving sliced roast beef and this depends on volumn, is roast before and slice., refridge and .use beef broth HOT and place the slices in for a couple seconds..if getting busy start staging the slices in the steam table..

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

140° is the minimum per Health code. When I went to chef's school, they had a year long HAACP course. I hold at 145°

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL' Timer View Post
140° is the minimum per Health code. When I went to chef's school, they had a year long HAACP course. I hold at 145°
yes, that is why keep in fridge till needed...Holdinig roast beef hot to make a sandwich ,,, you will find in the garbage up here, as 80% customers want there beef rare med / rare and to try to hold (unless big volumn) will make the toughest top round or what ever...
Re-heating in the broth is safe and approved...without any waste..
I use this method for catering, I get the broth boiling hot, then right before I open the line I put in the slices..and by the time the end of the line the beef is over done...so for the people cominmg through the second time, I clean out the over cooked beef and put some fresh slices in..
for low volumn places I also do this for sliced brisket, work great

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Sounds like my goal of serving beautifully pink beef is a pipe dream.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooskey View Post
Sounds like my goal of serving beautifully pink beef is a pipe dream.
NO! reheat in hot au-jui simple!!!!!!! Use minors and make a nice hot steamy bath, you take the nice sliced RARE roast beef and drag it through!! It does not get any simpler..Even if you took a roast out of the cooker and by the time you sliced and served you would still need to dip in hot concentrate...For parties, vending or even at home...I am in the the heart of beef on weck country (along with chicken wings and friday fish fry) and this is how to do it!!!
It is fast, EASY and TASTY TOO!!!!here is the steps:
1) grab a sliced kummelweck roll
2)use tongs, and grab a wad of sliced ,rare beef
3)Drag, dip or soak in the hot juice
4)place on roll, horse radish, slice of oinion, jalepeno, maybe some mayo or other sauce
5)ENJOY!!!!nice, hot and med rare or nicen pink!!!!
just like riding a bike, hop on it and go...simple..quick and GREAT!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
NO! reheat in hot au-jui simple!!!!!!! Use minors and make a nice hot steamy bath, you take the nice sliced RARE roast beef and drag it through!! It does not get any simpler..Even if you took a roast out of the cooker and by the time you sliced and served you would still need to dip in hot concentrate...For parties, vending or even at home...I am in the the heart of beef on weck country (along with chicken wings and friday fish fry) and this is how to do it!!!
4)place on roll, horse radish, slice of oinion, jalepeno, maybe some mayo or other sauce
I love beef on weck and pit beef. I have used a similar method at home to reheat prime rib for sandwiches, and it still turned the outside gray. I will try again with a lower initial cook on the beef.

The clean pink like this is what I am going for:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u6Mo7phSJS...0/IMG_9613.JPG

Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

There ya go thats the spirit!! Comes out awesome, hot n fresh n pink! if it turned grey that means your are steaming it, at the resturant this is how you can re-heat prime rib to serve also, if the roast starts to cool down before orders come in..When I pull a top round out internal of 125 max...great stuff, you cant go wrong!!
That pic looks like a tender loin or eye of round..Pull it out sooner, that one looks about 130/135 internal
However since you bring that cut up, the same goes!!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

This sounds easy, I'm trying to get a grasp on it.
That simple pull through the boiling hot beef will bring the temp of the sliced meat up to regulation serving temp???
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
This sounds easy, I'm trying to get a grasp on it.
That simple pull through the boiling hot beef will bring the temp of the sliced meat up to regulation serving temp???
It isn't regulation serving temp, it is regulation holding temp, and you can hold it at temps between 40-140 for service for up to 2 hours. So I'd keep the meat cold, take a pile out, dip into the hot liquid to warm the meat, then serve. The meat served merely needs to be hot enough to satisfy your desire for how you want to serve it.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
This is how I do it and it works beautifully! Cook to temp, cool, slice, and dip into piping hot jus to finish.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

How much volume are you talking about and how long do you plan to serve?

You could get vacuum seal portions that you can sell in 15-20 minutes. Then cook them in a sous vide machine and pull a bag when you need it.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
sunrise
On the road to being a farker

we cook tri tip to 135, pull and put in a cambro whole, covered in hotel pans with foil, I keep all the meat whole and pull 1 at a time as they are needed to make sandwhich's or however we are selling them. As we need them, I slice them one at a time. We havent had a problem. I do keep the warmers over 150 to make sure everything is within code, and the meat doesnt seem to get over done. I also try not too cook too many at a time.
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
How much volume are you talking about and how long do you plan to serve?

You could get vacuum seal portions that you can sell in 15-20 minutes. Then cook them in a sous vide machine and pull a bag when you need it.
150 portions is generally what we prep for.