Fuel for UDS

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is kind of a spin off from a previous thread of mine so it may seem redundant for some.

In your UDS what is your preferred fuel and why? I have always been told to never use charcoal briquettes when smoking and haven't until recently. I have always used lump charcoal.

Also, what do you prefer to flavor the smoke? I have always used store bought wood chips. I prefer the taste of fruit woods.

I use a mix of briquettes and lump, have no issues. I prefer to use chunks of wood, often a mix of apple and pecan.

No UDS but when burning charcoal I prefer briquettes over lump as it is more consistent. Look for natural briquettes if you don't like Kingsford.

I like Briquets with Wood Chunks, I get longer more consistent burn in my experiences. I use KBB mostly but I like Stubbs better but it's never on Sale like KBB does.

Mix the chunks thru out Charcoal. More KBB to go on top of these Chunks. I use Hickory or Pecan mostly, sometimes Cherry or Mesquite or a mix.

I use briquettes (stubbs) I used to use kbb and never had complaints. IMO you just burn the Kingsford a little longer before the food goes on. But I also use lump (royal Oak) IMO it burns to fast and inconsistently. But it's all Jay a matter of preference.

DSCF0074.jpg

Kingsford blue bag is usaly gonna be the best priced also I feel is more consistent burning then most I've tried, I used the competition and it burned too hot and lump burns inconsistently! So try KBB with your choice of wood chunks and you will be a happy camper...IMO!!! Also flavors I tend to use is apple/cherry for my chicken, pork and tend stick with a predominant hickory flavor for any beef! But any way you feel like mixing to your own taste works ...just gotta experiment a little!

We like the Stubbs and some hardwood mix with several chunks of wood- we experiment quite a bit. We know exactly what we get with this blend in terms of burn, ash and temps. KBB has more ash and less burn in ours.

I use a mix of KBB and RO lump. I put a layer of KBB in the bottom of the basket and a mix of KBB and lump for the rest.... For wood I use apple w/ a little hickory, if doing beef I'll use oak.

Wicked good lump, (great burn and clean fire) I like chunks in my UDS, (I like persimmon, pecan, for pork, oak/cherry for beef and any fruitwood for chicken) Try as many wood combinations as possible. BBQ is a craft. Remember charcoal for heat, wood for smoke.

If you want to try a variety of wood check out fruita.com. They have good quality wood. Another helpful hint is to check craigslist for wood, Ive found some killer deals.

I tried Stubbs for the first time last weekend. It did a whole lot of snap, crackle, pop like Cowboy lump does. I noticed it is packaged by Cowboy, so I guess it might be the same stuff?

Back