oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

Default Making Pork Shoulder In Advance

I picked up a 9lbs pork shoulder for this year's Super Bowl party. We have people coming over at 3:00 and I want to have it pulled and ready to go when guests start arriving. If you assume an hour a pound I would need to get it on the UDS around 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning and I don't know if I really want to do that. My daughter's 4th birthday party is at 3:00 on Saturday so it will be hard to do it on Saturday unless I start it after the party and then it will be coming off the drum at 4 or 5 in the morning.

My question is: If I cook and pull the butt on Friday, will it serve ok on Sunday? Also, is an hour a pound the correct estimate on cook time or should it be closer to 1.5 hours per pound?

I have only cooked on my UDS three times now so i am not entirely confident leaving it unattended for long periods of time.

Thanks,
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

Forgot to mention that I am planning on around a 275 cook temp.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Pulled pork is actually really good pulled and packaged and reheated.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Forgot to mention that I am planning on around a 275 cook temp.
Should cook faster than pound an hour, are you wrapping. Honestly I dont use time or temp so I am probably the wrong person to ask about time per pound.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
Should cook faster than pound an hour, are you wrapping. Honestly I dont use time or temp so I am probably the wrong person to ask about time per pound.
I will probably wrap at some point. This butt is a little larger than I have cooked before. I just don't want to be pulling it off the drum about the time the game is over or something like that.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

What time do you need it done by? I have a 10.5 lb and if i put it on by 7 am it'll be done in plenty of time for game time.....might do it all night and just pull it Sunday morning, haven't decided yet.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
What time do you need it done by? I have a 10.5 lb and if i put it on by 7 am it'll be done in plenty of time for game time.....might do it all night and just pull it Sunday morning, haven't decided yet.
Thanks, what temp are you cooking at? I want to have it rested, pulled, and ready to serve by 3:00 when guests start showing up.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
I will probably wrap at some point. This butt is a little larger than I have cooked before. I just don't want to be pulling it off the drum about the time the game is over or something like that.
Wrap when the bark is set, scratch with your fingertip. Put some liquid in the foil, I like stubbs pork. Cook until probe tender around 195 ish. Rest a couple hours and pull it in big chunks( it will break down more later so I go big). Bag and refrigerate it until a couple hours before the party. Warm it up slowly and you should have a winner.

ps I like injecting every one I do, comp or not.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Fwismoker

I'm going @ 275 but if you put it on about 6 AM it'll be ready to pull by your 3 PM deadline. Wrapping will get yours done quicker but i don't wrap because i like better bark.

Going 300* you'll be well under an hour per pound.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will bump the temp up to 300 and wrap when the bark is set.

Do you see any issues with applying the rub the night before?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
sliding_billy

I would go a little hotter (300 or so) and wrap once you get the color you want. It might be done a little earlier, but it will hold just fine wrapped in a cooler with towels if it needs to. Pulled pork is fine reheated if you need to go that route, but I still prefer it fresh.

Posted this as you were posting yours... no issues with rubbing the night before, but if it is a heavy salt rub you can get a little hammy. Also, if you do rub the night before you still might want to apply a little dry rub before putting the meat on. A lot comes off when you unwrap it. Really, I think it is just as easy to rub while to cooker is coming up to temp.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

ps I like injecting every one I do, comp or not.[/QUOTE]

What do you inject with? I was planning on boiling some rub I make with some apple juice to dissolve some of the solids.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Fwismoker

A good finishing sauce will give you a good balanced flavor mixed in the pull and to put on sandwiches.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
mcyork28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
A good finishing sauce will give you a good balanced flavor mixed in the pull and to put on sandwiches.
Is there a technical difference between a finishing sauce and a basic bbq sauce? I was planning on mixing in some IQue bbq sauce from Wicked Good BBQ. Do you have a go to finishing sauce recipe you are willing to share?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
peeps

I use this as a finishing sauce but cut back on the ginger and the cloves by half...

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forum...3/m/2311038883

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote