The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default For My Quasi-scientific Brethren ... RUB 'curing times' .....

...... I respect and appreciate individual preferences, but this question is really aimed at any scientific/chemical issues related to applying rubs for varying amounts of time. Perhaps the meat involved plays a major role as well.

For the few, most frequently Q'd meats here on the Forum, what are sound rules to apply for the times between rub application and the start of the cook? When is it highly recommended to apply, wrap, refrigerate (overnight) versus apply, wait short amounts of time and cook?

I did a few unsuccessful searches .... if I missed a key thread or link, please advise.

Regards,
Tom B.
aka tommy_bandera

Large Big Green Egg

candidate for bskd?
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't have any scientific evidence but I have had great results with rubbing right before puttin it on the smoker and rubbing the day before. Marinades and brines penetrate with time. Rubs are surface flavor and time isn't a factor.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

Sorry to disagree with my esteemed colleage, BigMista, but I like to leave rubs on as long as possible. The salt and sugar in a rub with time, will interact with the juices of the meats. If possible sitting the meat overnight in the rub really helps the flavor.

Of course I also agree with my esteems colleage BigMista that I've had success with rubbing right before cooking.

Go figure.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Bigmista

Would you agree that the increased flavor that you taste are still surface flavors and while they may be more intense on ribs or even chicken, it wouldn't penetrate briskets or butts?

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Unread 05-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Exactly my dilemma ... I would have thought ....

..... that ribs or chicken might not gain much more than from short-term exposure, but that larger, more dense meats like brisket and butt would gain from overnight exposure.

Sounds like this is still up for discussion ?
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]

Unread 05-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
icemn62
Babbling Farker

I inject think / large meats brisket/butts. I just rub ribs, but let sit overnight, chicken gets brined. I have done both the long time sit, and the rub and on the grates. food tasted good in all cases. I do think this is a preference thing, like mustard/foil/k side left/ k side right.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Bigmista

I inject butts, Brine chicken and just rub briskets and ribs. Usually when I have the time.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Unread 05-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
bbqpigskin
Full Fledged Farker

I usually let the rub sit on butts as long as possible. I also use a mustard slather on butts. I don't know if that makes too much of a difference, but the butts that I have done thus far using mustard and rub have come out pretty good. I don't know...sometimes I think that you have to be lucky sometimes and things just flat go right! Maybe there is a BBQ god!

Bar-B-Chef offset
Ancient Weber Kettle
Weber Kettle Gold
Proud owner of "The Hog"
bbqpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I have done a lot of night before and right before rub applications and don't find a significant difference either way. Since there didn't seem to be much of a difference, I save the hassle of rewrapping and just appy rub on the way to the cooker.

As an aside, I don't like rubbing ribs in advance as there's enough salt in most rubs to draw out a good amount of moisture from the ribs and I prefer to leave the moisture in and let the spices penetrate (not that it amounts to much) during the cook.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Nice to hear this rib comparison and moisture comment ....

...... If the extra time makes little difference, then it is at least worth my while to mark down ribs as a 'short' rub time item. Incidentally, I had seen one Q site which runs training days, etc., insisting on no more than 2 hours 'rub time' for spare ribs.

Unread 05-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

tommy, you'll probably find that few others agree with me on that point, but having dumped good amounts of juice off of ribs that I seasoned the night before, i just quit doing it.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I rub while the pit is getting up to temp.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #13
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Well my taste senses are finely tuned but I can never really taste a major difference between one that I've rubbed a day or two in advance and one I've done just before I put it on the smoker. I rub early more out of convienience than anything.
As far as the liquid that comes off the meat when rubbed early, I can't really say there's been a noticable difference in whether it came out dry or not either.
Now that I've got my WSM and so far it seems that I've been smoking more I might try a couple of different experiments. Maybe do 2 butts, one rubbed the night before, and one done just before putting it in the smoker.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default I am very comfortable with the answer(s) to my query .....

......... you men represent a wealth of experience and do not indicate any solid 'scientific' reasons to avoid one method or the other. Based on that, I can be comfortable choosing the rub_pre-cook time that best fits my situation.

Thanks for letting me nail down another key BBQ issue and move forward!
Regards,

Unread 05-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

As some have eluded too above the salt and sugar do permeate the meat in a limited way as a brine does if the meat is wrapped up in the fridge. I would rather taste the pure flavor of the meat with a rub crust on the exterior though. I think layering flavor makes for great food.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote