The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #91
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
90 post over one person opinion. Impressive.
LOL! And I thought my opinion didn't mean much. I've been selling myself short. j/k

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #92
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I was watching the travel channel this weekend and they had a tour of some bbq regions by state and one was Tennessee and the Memphis in May BBQ event. Almost every shot shown of teams preparing ribs absolutely caked on brown sugar, honey, butter or all of the above.

I looked at that and knew without having to taste it. There's NO WAY I could eat those ribs. I understand the "judges only getting one bite" thought process and I agree. But as a general spectator there's no way someone could actually taste much of the meat on many of the ribs I saw. I guess that is the difference in competition ribs and backyard ribs.
I will speak to Memphis in May as we have been cooking it for a very long time. You have 2 different judgings. Blind and onsite. You need beaucoup flavor and perfection in the blind ribs as those go up against each other on the blind table. Unlike KCBS, MIM entries are judged against one another instead of on their own merit.. There is only 1 best rib on the table. These judges also only get a rib or two apiece.

Onsite judges (3 of them) come in 20 min increments. You have 10-15 minutes to present them a picture of your entire process. You present these judges an entire rack of ribs. Many eat the whole dang thing. Many teams will kick up the flavor on the blinds and then cook their "normal" ribs for onsite.

Unread 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #93
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Many eat the whole dang thing. Many teams will kick up the flavor on the blinds and then cook their "normal" ribs for onsite.
That makes sense.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Unread 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #94
Rusty Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
fnbish - Agreed that bold is a better word than sweet, but it still holds more to the one bite satisfaction factor than a more balanced approach.

Hawg Father of Seoul - You know I don't claim to be an expert on comp cooking. I was simply referencing some of the comments made earlier to "get over it and cook whet they want."

Rusty Kettle - Totally agree. That was exactly my point. Until more people are willing to go against the grain, comp cooking simply becomes a technical competition and not about the food.
Yeah there was an article in the Bull Sheet a few months back with a similar tone. I get what you mean. My only point in my first post was to each their own and second post was if it bothers you do something about it and compete. This is the second brethren brawl I have walked into recently. First was about my interest in a pit barrel cooker and this one but this one felt like it was turning nasty. Now everyone step back and make peace we are brothers in smoke after all no need for a brawl. We need to stop brawling over little details if you want to make candy meat go ahead you don't then don't. This is the type of argument that ruins the fun in all hobby related message boards. I have dropped hobbies altogether because of petty bull on message boards as it gets old. Now drop it because it's a personal preference in how you want to cook. I like bbq to much to just drop it. Shake hands now. Besides we should really be fighting vegetarians now that's wrong.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #95
Cayman1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
I will speak to Memphis in May as we have been cooking it for a very long time. You have 2 different judgings. Blind and onsite. You need beaucoup flavor and perfection in the blind ribs as those go up against each other on the blind table. Unlike KCBS, MIM entries are judged against one another instead of on their own merit.. There is only 1 best rib on the table. These judges also only get a rib or two apiece.

Onsite judges (3 of them) come in 20 min increments. You have 10-15 minutes to present them a picture of your entire process. You present these judges an entire rack of ribs. Many eat the whole dang thing. Many teams will kick up the flavor on the blinds and then cook their "normal" ribs for onsite.
Would love to be able to schedule MIM. Hopefully some day.

How would you characterize the "normal" ribs and how are they different them from the ribs turned in for blind judging? Sweeter, less sweet, more sauce, sauce on side, etc?

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #96
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Yeah there was an article in the Bull Sheet a few months back with a similar tone. I get what you mean. My only point in my first post was to each their own and second post was if it bothers you do something about it and compete. This is the second brethren brawl I have walked into recently. First was about my interest in a pit barrel cooker and this one but this one felt like it was turning nasty. Now everyone step back and make peace we are brothers in smoke after all no need for a brawl. We need to stop brawling over little details if you want to make candy meat go ahead you don't then don't. This is the type of argument that ruins the fun in all hobby related message boards. I have dropped hobbies altogether because of petty bull on message boards as it gets old. Now drop it because it's a personal preference in how you want to cook. I like bbq to much to just drop it. Shake hands now. Besides we should really be fighting vegetarians now that's wrong.
I's has put down my immaturity and offered peace. Agreed on the vegetarians. They is duh debil.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #97
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Don't give up, walk away or quit the good fight. Buy the Pit Barrel Cooker.

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #98
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I've been selling myself short.
Did you make a profit? Your stocks always been up for me.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #99
Flash Point
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Here's the reality of it- BBQ teams are scored, giving them the ability to tweak their recipes and methods until they're turning out a somewhat consistent product that will score the most points. Teams that compete a lot are going to have an even greater advantage because they can start throwing out higher and lower scores, because those could be flukes, focus on the exact method on the top third of their entries, and further tweak their product for the highest placement. I suspect that the top-scoring teams keep pretty exact notes when they're entering contests. If I had that kind of money and time dedicated to competition BBQ, I'd want to know exactly what we did differently to score higher or lower, and I'd want to be able to throw my hands in the air and say I don't know why we got X this time instead of Y.

If sweet BBQ brings the highest scores, it's not the recipe or the cook, it's the judges. That's what wins. Trying to change hearts and minds with competition entries seems foolish when money is on the line.
Flash Point is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #100
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Would love to be able to schedule MIM. Hopefully some day.

How would you characterize the "normal" ribs and how are they different them from the ribs turned in for blind judging? Sweeter, less sweet, more sauce, sauce on side, etc?
Ours are the same for both. Before we threw our hat in the ring 10 yrs ago I cooked with a few other teams. They would have a kicked up finish rub and a concentrated glaze for the blind.

Our ribs are sweet, but not candy. They have a bit of a burn on the front and back end. We glaze not sauce.

As far as attending MIM
Like we have said before, all Brethren are able to join or hang with our team for MIM. There is a thread in the comp forum if you are interested.

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #101
lantern
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Point View Post
If sweet BBQ brings the highest scores, it's not the recipe or the cook, it's the judges. That's what wins. Trying to change hearts and minds with competition entries seems foolish when money is on the line.

I agree with this!

As brethren these conversations are fun in person with jabs and laughs to be had all around. But online, banter sometimes comes off as harsh or bristly.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #102
Diesel Dave
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Don't give up, walk away or quit the good fight. Buy the Pit Barrel Cooker.
But can you wrap and hang sweet ribs on a PBC?

I may buy on just to find out

After all it is supporting a Vet

I'm officially a ZERO
IMBAS Certified MOINK baller
WWGALD

There is NO Secret Squirrel Society
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #103
Rusty Kettle
Full Fledged Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Point View Post
Here's the reality of it- BBQ teams are scored, giving them the ability to tweak their recipes and methods until they're turning out a somewhat consistent product that will score the most points. Teams that compete a lot are going to have an even greater advantage because they can start throwing out higher and lower scores, because those could be flukes, focus on the exact method on the top third of their entries, and further tweak their product for the highest placement. I suspect that the top-scoring teams keep pretty exact notes when they're entering contests. If I had that kind of money and time dedicated to competition BBQ, I'd want to know exactly what we did differently to score higher or lower, and I'd want to be able to throw my hands in the air and say I don't know why we got X this time instead of Y.

Not trying to start anything but money isn't everything. Although I see your point to an extent about the judges and maybe they are the real issue maybe that means we should all get certified as judges and change that culture for the better. Just a thought.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #104
Yellowhair42
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

Well done my good man! This is the best one I've seen yet. Nice music selection BTW.

Unread 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #105
Flash Point
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Not trying to start anything but money isn't everything. Although I see your point to an extent about the judges and maybe they are the real issue maybe that means we should all get certified as judges and change that culture for the better. Just a thought.
They're not barbecue exhibitions, they're competitions. If a pro team isn't competing for a trophy and a check, why in the world are they showing up? There are a bunch of less expensive ways to throw a party. If judges prefer sweet barbecue seemingly nationwide and across multiple circuits, I think it's pretty fair to say that a pattern has developed.
Flash Point is offline   Reply With Quote